Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 11:47

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Xenedrine and CLA

I am pretty confident that CLA works to help you lose fat vs muscle based on the research that I've read, but I'm wondering if it is still neccessary to take 3000mg a day on a LC diet since we are already getting more of it when we red meat.

Also, I occasionally take a Xenedrine once a day (the bottle says 2 pills like 3 times a day and I have no desire to take more than one or two). I know there are risks for people with heart problems, but are there any other risks I should be aware of? Is anyone else using this, or ephedrine, right now.

Thanks,
Kristi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Xenedrine and CLA

Quote:
Originally posted by KristiTalm
I know there are risks for people with heart problems, but are there any other risks I should be aware of? Is anyone else using this, or ephedrine, right now.

Kristi, to quote Trainerdan in this monster ECA strack thread in the exercise forum:

Quote:
You must be VERY careful to read the bottle before purchasing/using any ephedrine based product, as certain health conditions can be made worse if ephedrine (or any stimulant for that matter) is consumed. Off the top of my head, I would say high blood pressure, thyroid disorders, heart diesase, diabetes, hypogyclemia ... hmm ... there's a few more. Just read the bottle.

The label on any ECA product will have a very long warning and list of pre-existing conditions which will preclude you from using the product. I would double check that label and heed the warnings if I were you.

Re the CLA - the amount necessary for fat loss and muscle growth is approx 3.4g a day. This is far more than we get from meat and/or dairy - it works out to 4 or 5 pills of 1g each (as the active ingredient in the CLA is only 780mg on average).

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 12:48

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Thanks Nat!

I'm going to go check out trainerdans post. Thank you so much for the quick reply. I did a search, but I wasn't able to find anything. Probably user error!

I'm actually below the CLA minimum by a full tablet. Thanks for the information.

Kristi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 17:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/151/120
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default xenadrine

sorry - new to all these abbreviations! What is CLA?

i can say i have started taking xenadrine this week.. one in the morning and one between 2-3pm.. i am going to experiment and do this for 4 week.

i tried metabolife once and the recommended 3 pills 2-3 times a day -sent me over the edge and i never tried anything like that since. now with this, i will just do the 2 a day without bumping it up to 2pills twice a day after a week. seems to give me the same amount of a "jump" as if i had a few cups of coffee and its helping me just get back in the swing of things with a consistent gym routine as i am working out and more active during the day than before. otherwise i am watching for any side effects and will stop them if i notice anything that bothers me. but for now, no problem! i think if you start out slow with a low dosage its better in the long run than trying to take a lot!!

good luck!
L