Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:31

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Another psyllium question

I was wondering if psyllium is ok to use every day. The bottle says not to use more them a week at a time. Can it actually stop working as a laxitive? Any advice would be appritiated .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:44
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Maybe there's different kinds, but I put only a tsp. in my protein shakes every day for the added fiber which is always good for intestinal health. It's always a good idea to follow label directions, but psyllium is a good source of fiber and I doubt that taking it on a long-term basis will hurt you, but perhaps you should use 1/2 the normal dose (or less) for ongoing health maintenance, rather than the doses recommended as a "laxative". Read the label again.... does it have two sets of instructions by chance?

Remember, always drink lots and lots of water with your psyllium.... at least 16 oz or so.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:48

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thanks Teri, I drink tons of water through out the day, does that count? Or do I need to mmake sure I drink that much right after my shake? I use it in my shake too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 08:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wholehealthmd.com's cautions about psyllium:

Quote:
Cautions

Because psyllium is naturally high in fiber, it can temporarily cause bloating and flatulence. To prevent this type of reaction, start with a small amount of the herb and gradually increase the dose over several days.

Psyllium absorbs water, so be sure to take it with large amounts of fluid: Try to drink an additional six to eight glasses of fluid a day while taking psyllium preparations. Without a large fluid intake, an intestinal blockage can develop.

Don't exceed recommended doses; taking larger quantities of psyllium can reduce your body's ability to absorb certain minerals.

In rare cases, psyllium can cause an allergic reaction. This may be signaled by the development of a rash, itching, or even breathing and swallowing problems. If you suspect you are having an allergic reaction to psyllium, seek prompt professional care.

If you are pregnant, have diabetes, or suffer from an obstructed bowel (possibly signaled by persistent constipation, absence of bowel movements, or abdominal pain), consult your doctor before taking psyllium preparations.

And not to be left out, supplementwatch.com's take on psyllium:

Quote:
Safety
The intake of dietary fiber or fiber supplements within the recommended doses (see below) is considered safe. To prevent dehydration, adequate fluid must be consumed. Side effects such as excessive gas or bloating may occur. Some individuals may be allergic to the source of the fiber, for example, wheat or psyllium.

Value
There is no question that adequate fiber is necessary for good health. Consumption of 20 to 40 grams of fiber per day is possible from food sources alone. However, it is recognized that in the U.S. the average fiber intake is less than 15 grams per day. In light of average intake, fiber supplements are often recommended.

Dosage
  • Dietary fiber = 20 - 40 grams per day
  • Psyllium supplements = 7 grams in 8 oz of liquid (up to 3x/day)
  • Methylcellulose = 10.2 grams in 8 oz of liquid (up to 3x/day)
  • Polycarbophil = 1 gram (2 caplets) per day (maximum of 4 grams daily)

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 240/199.2/165 Male 72 inches
BF:34.0/21/9
Progress: 54%
Thumbs up

Thanks for this information above.

Having been reading about the benefits of grinding my own flax seed (Udo Erasmus' book among other sources) I've been thinking about phasing out the psyllium husks in favour of grinding seeds and using that as a more nutritious whole.

Plus it might be cheaper. Organic Whole Golden Flax Seed is $1.40/lb in my local Fresh Fields store.

Any comments from anyone on the benefits of keeping the psyllium instead of or in addition to the flax?