Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 14:41

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Anyone taking suppliment - CLA?

Hi, new to this board. Been L/Cing since 4/6, lost 24 lbs as of yesterday. I've been taking CLA for about 3 weeks now along with my regular multi vitamin/mineral suppliment. Wondering if anyone here has tried/is taking conjugated linoleic acid and what your results have been. I definitely am slimmer and have gone down one whole size in slacks these last 3 weeks despite only losing 3 lbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 14:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi yvonne. I moved your post to our Nutrition and Supplements forum. Up at the top you'll find a sticky with some useful links to supplement information - both supplementwatch.com and wholehealthmd.com have write ups about CLA. I have been taking CLA (in conjunction with green tea extract) since May 1st and I've noticed a rise in my metabolism. CLA and GT in combination seem to make for one huge anti oxidant punch - another great benefit.

If you scroll down this forum a little ways you'll also find some interesting info on Green tea and zinc.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 15:00

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Default hi there

Yes i too use Cla and i take a multi and flax oil as well. I've noticed several benefits from taking the CLA. I believe its helped me burn more fat, its helped my dry skin and hair quite a bit! My hair seems shinier! I remember when I was on alow fat diet, I had to deal with hair loss, brittle nails, dry flaky skin...YUCK I was just depriving my body from esential oil that lubricates and keep your skin looking great. I'm now a loyal CLA and flax oil consumer. COngrats on your own weightloss!! Doesn't it feel good to slip into clothes you haven't worn in soo long?? I love the feeling. Just today I bought some new Lingerie...and man did my boyfriend go bonkers heehee...feeling sexy ...

Piera
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:36

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/258/129
BF:48/48/20
Progress: 5%
Question

How much CLA per day should one be taking?

And, how much green tea extract for that matter too.

Alena.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 17:24

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

CLA is an anti-carcinogen found in meat and dairy. CLA are unique among naturally occurring anticarcinogenic substances in that it is potent at extremely low levels and is present in foods from ruminant animals.

Research indicates an ideal daily dose of CLA ranges from 0.01 to 2 percent or more of daily caloric intake. One study proposes that an effective dose for a 165-pound person is 3-5 g/day.

Doses of this magnitude require supplementation. Most people ingest less than 1 g/day of CLA from food sources, which are largely limited to meat and dairy. For example, cheese averages 2.9 mg-7.1 mg of CLA per gram of fat. A 3 g CLA dose requires eating several pounds of cheese a day.

http://www.abc.cornell.edu/tmplobs/baa4FAwMb.pdf

http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cach...ortsscience.cfm
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 17:36

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Neither of those articles stipulated the following (which can be found in the article in this forum futher down the list):
  • The only brand of CLA that has been proven to provide fat burning / muscle staving benefits when tested on humans has been the TonalinTM brand. It differs from the others in that it contains a 50/50 blend of the cis-9/trans-11 and trans-10/cis-12 isomers.

Dosage is recommended at 3.4 - 4.2g (but keep in mind that a 1g pill will only contain between 740-820mg of CLA)

Nat