Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 150/120/120
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Primrose oil and Flaxseed Oil

Does anyone know "why" these two supplements are good for a low-carb diet? I was told to take them, but don't know why really. Does anyone else take them and what have they done to help? I'm particulary interested in flaxseed oil. I already take Primrose Oil and I do think it helps but I'm just curious about the flaxseed oil. I don't want to take anything that is unneccsary. Thanks in advance for the help! Have a super day!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-02, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'd recommend you click on the "search" icon above this thread and look for the phrase "flax oil". Select "show as posts" so you'll see the exact message. Flax oil has to do with Omega-3 & 6 oils which we need.

You could also search for "evening primrose" and find out about it. It tends to be used for relief of menopausal symptoms.

You might not "need' either but that's a decision you should make after more research. I am sure there are threads on this site that will show up in your search.

#3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 16:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Neither is a supplement that should be limited to a LC WOE - both are something that everyone can benefit from.

Flaxseed oil is a souce of Alpha Linolenic Acid (LNA), an essential Fatty Acid (meaning that this is something that our bodies cannot reproduce - what we get must come from our food). ALA is Omega 3 EFA.

LNA Deficiency
  • Growth retardation
  • Weakness
  • Impairment of vision and learning ability
  • Motor incoordination
  • Tingling sensations in arms and legs
  • Behavioral changes
Symptoms that respond remarkably well to LNA supplementation
  • High triglycerides (fat) in the blood
  • High blood pressure
  • Sticky platelets
  • Tissue inflammation
  • Edema
  • Dry skin
  • Mental deterioration
  • Low metabolic rate
  • Some kinds of immune dysfunction

You can read more about flaxseed oil here - You can also read more about Omega 3 supplementation in this post: A Superior Source of Omega 3 EFA

Evening oil of primrose is comprised of the other EFA, linoleic acid (Omega 6).

EOP:
  • Relieves PMS and breast pain associated with the menstrual cycle
  • Alleviates hot flashes resulting from menopause
  • Beneficial for victims of coronary artery disease
  • Improves eczema and dermatitis
  • Improves rheumatoid arthritis
  • Aids in weight loss

You can read more about it here

HTH
Nat