Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 17:15

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 340/324/165 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default any college residents here? Advice needed!

I will be attending college in the fall. One major problem is I don't know how easy it will be to keep up my LC lifestyle because of the fact that I am residing on campus. HELPPPPPPPP What should I do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/270/220 Male 6'2"
BF:yummy
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onelove
I will be attending college in the fall. One major problem is I don't know how easy it will be to keep up my LC lifestyle because of the fact that I am residing on campus. HELPPPPPPPP What should I do?

I've found at least at my school thats its not that hard.
I dont eat as much anymore, and my student union, has all types of salads,and i can get hamburgers, i just ask them for no bun. But most of the time I eat at home.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 10:45

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Where I went to college there were plenty of choices. They even had an electric wok set up for those who wanted to stir fry. Salad was always offered.

What you might want to do though is keep some low carb snacks close by though just incase you get hungry before a meal. And remember, water, water, water.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:15

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

buy a dorm sized fridge and try to keep most stuff you need in there. Or do as Justion suggested and eat burgers no bun salads and lots of time they have a cold sandiwch just toss the bread!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:53

Plan: My own
Stats: 182/162/154 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm at purdue univ . live off campus now .. But when I used to stay on campus, food (lc)was not a problem . Not that I was LC'ing .. But yea we did have the stir fry option too .. Could make our own stir fry .. Salads and fruits are abundant . We had 8 varieties of juices for breakfast , eggs n other stuff. 0.o .. and with LC'ing lifestyle catching onto many college students I think you can even request the dining staff to add some LC dishes if there aren't any.. (Me and my friends requested spicy food .. and we had it )

But I think many dorm dining halls will keep in mind that many people/students are health conscious now a days and will prolly already have something you want there.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 12:25

Stats: 303/270/220 Male 6'2"
BF:yummy
Progress: 40%

BTW What stir fry can we eat??
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 14:46

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Justin,

You can stir fry any veggie that's on the ok list. Add meat if you want. There are also brands of low carb sauces you can get as well, or if you like garlic...make your own garlic sauce. I like mixing garlic powder with butter and pouring it over veggies, especially green beans.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 15:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/186/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

My dorm dining hall also had a deli bar, where you could get things like cheese, turkey, roast beef etc. just no bread. Put it on a salad for a great chef salad. For me the dining hall wasn't the problem, it was all the beer and late night food runs.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 19:52

Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%

Easy, I did it in a (gasp) sorority... although I did endure ridicule for my thin frame and "strange" eating habits (from the over-gluttoneous-beer-bellied "sisters")... I found it was mostly jealousy, that I could eat meat and fats etc.. and lose weight.. But I always had a stash of Atkins Morning Start Bars (for breakfast on the go)... then there was a salad bar every day for lunch, on top of whatever the cook made for lunch.. so I could pick and choose that way... then for dinner, if the cook made something that was Atkins un-friendly (as she often did... rice and pasta are cheaper to feed the masses of 60 + girls) I would opt for another salad, or get my own food somewhere. I also had a small frige in my room where I kept string cheese, lunch meat, pickles, celary, bottled waters, almonds, etc.
If I could do LC in a sorority, BELIEVE me, you can do it ANYWHERE.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 21:54
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

Usually campuses have a buffet-style dining facility, where you can pick and chose what you want. Chicken and salad can be found almost anywhere you go-lol.

And like others said, get your own fridge and keep snack food in it for when your roomates start eating chips and cookies and you feel left out.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 15:34

Stats: 154.5/135.5/135 Female 5ft 5.5 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

I actually found it easier to stick to Atkins when I was living at school because you don't have to make any of your own food. They always have hamburgers, chicken, salad, tuna, cheese, and egg salad, so that's pretty much what I lived on.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-05, 15:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/145/125 Female 68"
BF:
Progress:

yeah, I'd say your biggest obstacle will be the people who are "worried" about you (misery loves company, people will always get mad when you don't want to carb-binge with them). At my school there is always the salad bar with lots of fresh vegetables. And for a quick chef-salad I get lunch meat and cheese from the sandwhich station and put it on top of lettuce. LC is way easy to do in college when you're motivated and creative.