Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 00:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:
Default Attention Winnipeg Low Carbers...

Visited Borowski's today... what good timing!

There is a new company in town specializing in low carb products and Borowski's is going to be carrying them. The "girls" had the Carbsense Muffin Mix, Carbsensepizza crust mix, Carbsense bread machine mix, LowCarb Success Flax O Meal in a couple of varieties; Steel's Maple Syrup, Steel's Fudge Sauce, and Steel's sugarless ketchup. Most of the sugarless products are made with Splenda, however I did notice that the Maple Syrup was made with maltitol.

Borowski's will be bringing in more products in the near future. Stop by and check it out!

La Tortilla's are on the horizon but are currently held up at the border. Probably because of the English only lettering. Only guessing here, but they will come to town eventually!

Wahoo....

Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 05:45
Registered Member

Stats: 172/127/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs up Low Carb Products in Winnipeg

I'm glad I found your message. My sister lives just outside of Winnipeg in Portage la Prairie. She is on a low-carb diet through her gym. I'm copying your posting into an e-mail to her. I'm sure she'll be thrilled!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 06:29

BF:
Progress:

The ladies who will be supplying Borowski's have quite a list of things they will be carrying. Their supply lines so far are Carbsense; Expert foods (Thicken/Thinnot/Starch Thickener, not Sugar etc); Jok N Al (jams, sauces, relish, and fruit toppings); LowCarb Success (Flax O Meal); Steel Gourmet, and of course, La Torilla (can't wait for those!). Borowski's also carries all the varieties of Ross chocolates.

At last some place local!

Robin
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/208/195
BF:30/20/15
Progress: 83%

Hi all..Winnippegger..and low carber here..thanks for the info..will have to check out Borowski's..have never been there..mostly sticking to natural low carb fare..meat..cheese..veggies..but some things I do miss..anyway..nice to finally find some more Pegger's in here..
cheerz
Coss
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 14:43

BF:
Progress:

Oh, we've always been here. There were only a few of us on the boards a couple of years ago and we did manage to get together a few times. Anybody want to get together again?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/186/150
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi,
I'm from Winnipeg too and new to low carbing. I've been having trouble finding products. Where is Borowski's that carries all of the products you've been talking about?
Thanks,
Michele
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 18:55

Plan: The Zone (after induction)
Stats: 142/137/120
BF:
Progress: 23%
Cool **

Hello,

It is great to hear from other LC Winnipeggers! Thanks for the tip about Borowski's; I stopped by on Feb 25 and picked up some La Tortilla's. They are fabulous!

Take care,

FJ

Last edited by FiniteJ : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 18:57.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 21:25

BF:
Progress:

Sorry folks, haven't been paying attention to the board lately. For those that would like to know, Borowski's is on St. Anne's. Don't have the exact address at the moment, but if you go south from Fermor towards Bishop Grandin, they are on the left side of the street on the same side of the street as the Mohawk gas station.

We happened to visit them a couple of days ago. They have some new products in besides the tortillas.

They are now carrying a low carb ketchup, carb sense bread machine mixes, Steel's bbq sauce. They also have a type of "fruit sauce". One was passion fruit and the other was pineapple macadamia. We tried the pineapple mac over some Chapman's low carb ice cream (Superstore) and it was quite good. A little goes a long way! They will be carrying a line of maltitol sweetened ice cream soon.

Of course, they also carry the Ross Chocolate bars and Dr. Atkin's advantage bars. Ta Ta for now.

Robin
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 02:14
Registered Member

Plan: Semi Low Carb
Stats: 316/300/200 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Robin,

I'm fairly new here and live just outside Wpg. I was happy to find other LC'ers from Wpg and area. Do you all still get together? I'd be very interested in meeting to discuss LC.

Please let me know.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 23:11
Registered Member

Stats: 215/185/150
BF:
Progress: 46%
Smile Another pegger

Hi I'm fairly new to the board. I live in the peg also. I have been low carbing with Atkins since Mar 27/03 I lost 21 lbs so far.
Thanks for the tips on Borowski's I will have to check that out for sure.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 15:57

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%
Talking

Hi fellow winnipegers

I'm new to low carbing and I and I am thrilled to find this place.

Ta ta for now loves
diane
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/272/190 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Winnipeg Connection

Welcome fellow Winnipeggers,

I have been reading the Atkin's Web site and using www.fitday.com to log my foods and activities. I've been on the LC method since May 24th, 2003 and am ready to invest in some books and foods.

I live in Winnipeg and would appreciate it if anyone could suggest where to get low carb products in Winnipeg.

Thanks.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201.6/191.4/175
BF:26%/24%/15%
Progress: 38%
Cool Hey There...

Hi Every one!

I'm fairly new to this low carb thing.. I've been researching for a month or so and I started Atkins on May 25.

After the first week I was exceptionally bored with the food, Thanks for the tip on Borowski's I'll be heading there today after work to pick some of that stuff up.

On and up note my cooking skill has grown leaps and bounds since a week and a half ago.

I can't complain about the results though... 10lbs in 9 days is pretty darn good..

Does anybody have any tips on how to decrease your body fat as well?.. mines stayed pretty solid ~ 24% after the first 3 days, I excersise regularly ( cardio for 45 - 60min 4 times weekly and a weight program 4 times weekly)

Well Nice Meeting everybody!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:10

BF:
Progress:

Good morning fellow Winnipeggers!

For those that would like to know where to get low carb products in Winnipeg. We live in Fort Rouge and shop at a number of places around town.

Veggies can come from your store of choice, but generally speaking, Superstore can beat Safeway any day. My hubby actually prefers to shop at the Superstore veggie isle (and he has refused to set foot in Superstore for years!) They also have some a couple of varieties of no sugar added ice cream. They also have a very nice cranberry diet drink. Unfortunately, aspertame is the sweetener. Safeway no longer makes my favourite Black Cherry, says there was no demand for it! Yeah right.

Meat - Miller's on St. Mary's and St. Anne's junction (it's the original one)

Baking/cereal products such as wheat bran and flax seed meal - Scoop and Weigh on Grant, right across from the Superstore. We buy enough to last for a while and keep it in the freezer.

Dairy - Safeway or Costco. Safeway is expensive though and we load up on the whipping cream when we make the trip to Costco. Have tried Superstore's whipping cream, but it is too thick for us, looks like it's going sour. I think they put some kind of thickener in it.

Bacon Puffs - Safeway. We used to get the bacon puffs right from Old Dutch, but they don't sell to the public anymore. Price Choppers will bring in a box for you if you want and if you have abailavle a place to store 10 - 15 bags. (Sprinkle some taco seasoning on it and shake them up. Or. Put some bacon puffs on a microwave safe plate, sprinkle with shredded cheese, nuke for approx 30 seconds, top with black olives, a little sour cream, sometimes taco seasoned meat, and voila, nachoes.)

Borowski's Health Foods on St. Anne's road - La Tortilla tortillas, carb sense mixes, Steel's sauces, some varieties of sugar free ice cream, Ross' chocolate bars, some flavours of Atkins bars.

We tend to try to make our own bread and cereal mix, versus buying all the mixes, etc. Although the boxed stuff tastes yummy, sometimes they throw you off track, just because they are available! We try not to buy low carb versions of the stuff that made us fat in the first place! As for the Dr. Atkin's Bake Mix, your mileage may vary. We use it very sparingly as we have never had food bite us back! This stuff can be nasty. We bought a tin two years ago, and it's still half full. It's best used half strength. There is a recipe for Faux Dr. Atkin's mix on the web that is more palatable than his.

Anyway, that's it for now. Any questions, just ask away.

Last edited by Robin : Fri, Jun-06-03 at 07:11.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Re: Hey There...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rustler
I can't complain about the results though... 10lbs in 9 days is pretty darn good..

Does anybody have any tips on how to decrease your body fat as well?.. mines stayed pretty solid ~ 24% after the first 3 days, I excersise regularly ( cardio for 45 - 60min 4 times weekly and a weight program 4 times weekly)

It's only been 9 days so the first 10 lbs (this is normal on Induction) is a large percentage water. Hence your bodyfat ratio won't really start to noticeably shift until you have moved, well, more bodyfat... it should be showing soon, 9 days is early days, cuz you're doing the right things so far, especially with the weight program to build muscle and boost your BMR.