Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212.5/188/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Aspartame , Fibromyalgia and Atkins

Does anyone know if using the sf instant puddings.. if that can cause the Fibro to flare up big time..?
Been doing Atkins since June 2nd.. been doing ok losing.. kind of slow but its ok with me.. losing fast makes me feel ill. yes.. Im losiing lbs ok with using the puddings.. but..
Seems like tho that my Fibro is flaring up big time and allthough I know the weather can attribute but, seems like Ive been getting more tense muscles then usual. the Brain fog is more or less gone.. ( which seems good).. but the muscle tension is getting so bad that its getting hard to walk.. the balance is being affected by it too.. .. so anyways..does anyone have any info on this?
Seems like I have read about aspartame and fibro.. but not sure where to locate information on this..
Thanks in advance..
Hugs
Deb`
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 22:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hi Deb,

All of those things you listed can trigger a flare. And sometimes, it's just the way the planets are aligned Certainly the weather, and the decreasing light levels with shorter days is a contributing factor.

If you suspect that the sf puddings are a trigger, then it would be a good idea to stop those. Do other foods with aspartame trigger a similar reaction? Aspartame can trigger migraines for me .. but it's usually dose-related, and I can tolerate a small amount very infrequently. There may be other problem ingredients in the pudding mix as welll, such as starch. There is some evidence that allergy to grains such as wheat and corn can worsen arthritis pain and inflammation.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 14:02
Registered Member

Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hello Deb,

I don't think I can be of much help to you about the puddings but my fibro has been worse the last two weeks or so. The only conclusion that I can make is the weather changing. Getting cooler, we have been getting lots of rain, etc. I was feeling so much better on low carbing (atkins) and then boom the passed few weeks the pain. It hasn't been near as bad but still hurts.

If you suspect something may be causing the pain other than the weather cut it out of your diet for a while and see if it helps.

Let us know how you are feeling and take care.

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 20:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for replying back.. :)

Feel somewhat better.. I am going to go without the sf pudding for a while to see if it helps.. Now its just hard to find recipies to make my own sugar free pudding.. Ive been checking around but not finding any for vanilla or chocolate plain ones yet.. but will keep trying..
I did find the home made jello one before and thats not too bad..
Thanks again..
hugs
Debbi~
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 22:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hi Deb,

As long as you don't have problems with dairy products, you could make a puddingy treat with cream cheese. Soften 2 oz (4 Tbsp) in the microwave (be careful to just soften, not melt ), blend in pure cocoa powder - 1 Tbsp has only 1.1g net carbs (2.9g carbs, 1.8g fiber), some vanilla, your favourite non-aspartame sweetener and maybe a little cream to "lighten" it a bit.

This is very rich, but satisfies the craving.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 06:22
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks..

Will try this recipie today and see how it goes.. Thanks again for your help
Oh .. I did see the recipie for Doms cheesecake pudding.. will try that one too..
As for if other foods bother me with aspertame.. The pudding or jello is the only thing that Ive tried with it in.. Come to think of it.. back when I first started on Atkins, I had some of the jello and woke up in the middle of the night with rapid heartbeat duh me .. lol I forgot about that.. but from now on..I make my own jello now with a recipie that I found on here.. and this recipie that you just give me..
Thanks again.. have a super day
Debbi~
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 11:45

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I can't tolerate nutra sweet or splenda anymore. If I have even one diet soda I feel the brain fog settle in and I ache all over. SA's don't do this, but they have their own dangers if I'm not careful.
I buy candies that are bite size, and have only ONE. The serving size is usually 3 or 5 pieces. This keeps cravings in check without any ill effects.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 07:11

Stats: 150/140/120 Female 5'1
BF:33%
Progress:
Thumbs down Aspertame Is Not My Friend

Hi,
I can't believe how one can of diet pop with aspertame can make me soooo sick!!!! One can made me stay up until 4:00am in the morning...with heart racing and brain going crazy. This stuff is POISON!!! I never had aspertame before I went on this diet in the last month and it has caused several complications and set backs, even a couple of sips is the kiss of death.
Well my last one was on Saturday night. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out!!!!! I slept through the night last night...I am so relieved, i thought I was headed to the FLARE from hell...

Dipta
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:57

Plan: Zone
Stats: 134/124/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine
Does anyone know if using the sf instant puddings.. if that can cause the Fibro to flare up big time..?
Been doing Atkins since June 2nd.. been doing ok losing.. kind of slow but its ok with me.. losing fast makes me feel ill. yes.. Im losiing lbs ok with using the puddings.. but..
Seems like tho that my Fibro is flaring up big time and allthough I know the weather can attribute but, seems like Ive been getting more tense muscles then usual. the Brain fog is more or less gone.. ( which seems good).. but the muscle tension is getting so bad that its getting hard to walk.. the balance is being affected by it too.. .. so anyways..does anyone have any info on this?
Seems like I have read about aspartame and fibro.. but not sure where to locate information on this..
Thanks in advance..
Hugs
Deb`

Hi,
I know that ANY artificial sweetener, including Slenda, can cause auto immune problems to flare up., as well as artificial colors and presevatives. Something that will help though is Natural Progesterone cream. Progesterone is what helps rebuild the mylin sheath around the nerves and brings much relief to woman, as well as for PMS, edrometriosis, fibroids, miscarriage etc. Let me know if you need more info.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 21:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 134/124/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hello,
I'm new at this meesage thing and hope I'm doing it right. Is there a direction page somewhere?
About the artificial sweeteners...they are all basically toxic, even Slenda (chlorinated sugar) and should be used with caution. For those with Fibromyalgia and any other auto immune problem I would stay clear of all of it and try to use natural Stevia where you can. If you want something to help with the problems of Fibro. you should look into natural progesterone cream. I have done a lot of research and can give you info about it. It helps rebuild the mylin sheath around the nerves and really helps with the pain. Plus relieves PMS, endometriosis, fibroids, meopause symptoms and can help speed up the weight loss by balancing your hormones.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:39
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Aspartame

I have read an awful lot of downright scary information about Aspartame. I have come to believe that it is a deadly poison, and not only for fibromyalgia sufferers, but for human comsumption in general. It was approved for use without the proper protocol, and it is put into a large array of packaged foods. It is touted as being safe ... but it is anything BUT! It has been linked to Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimer's, and a whole bunch of other diseases and ailments, and it wreaks absolute havoc on diabetics. Why is this happening? Moolah. And big corporate might & muscle.

If you want to do some very enlightening reading about it, type "Idaho Observer" into Google or another search engine. Then open "Artificially Sweetened Times." This bit of reading is sort of lengthy, but oh so informative.

I personally won't touch the stuff, not even in a stick of gum! There are other sugar alternatives that won't "put a nail in your coffin," like I'm convinced Aspartame does. I'm working on ridding myself entirely of my "taste for sweet" by foregoing sugar alternatives as much as possible. This approach is not for everyone ... but for me, I know that if I don't taste "sweet," I eventually lose my craving for it.

Best of luck!
Jen B
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 07:36

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

My nutritionist has told me not to have a form of sugar (honey, fructose etc) and not to have any form of sweetener including aspartame. Make desserts and drinks difficult but getting used to it now!

Pudding idea if you can have dairy - combine double cream, natural yogurt and some fruit (I like 1/2 mashed banana or a few strawberries). Mix up and serve! Yum!