Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-10, 19:49

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Special thank you - Nancy and Judy!

I can't tell you the overwhelming sense of peace I feel now after talking to Dr. Davis. Even my sister-in-law, who has been a cardiac nurse at Wake Medical in Raleigh, NC for over 30 years says that Dr. Davis is WAY WAY ahead of all the other Cardiologists and it blew her mind about the VAP and the fact I was corresponding DIRECTLY with Dr. Davis. My 83 year old parents are going to join (mom just had two stents) and my sister, who has cholesterol problems is joining as well. Our general manager at our business is joining also.

The advice to join there is certainly the best I think I have ever gotten in my life. I am also going to join for myself to talk about my thyroid and RT3 issues. I had no idea that would be a topic there!

A MILLION THANKS!!!!
Angie

(free deep sea fishing or overnight trip to Cape Lookout, NC - PM me!)

Last edited by aeroangie : Mon, Feb-15-10 at 00:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-10, 12:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! That's great he talked to you directly.

Is your husband going to follow through with his recommendations? I know that Ralph, a diabetic fellow here, has had wonderful results with the TYP program.

That article I just posted about panicking over LDL talks a lot about particle size and the stuff Dr. Davis is going on about.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-10, 21:55

BF:

YES!! Stuart is definitely doing TYP! It's a lot like what I have already been doing on SB - modified a little. I was just reading about the post prandial results of fat intake at meals higher than 50 grams! Interesting and made me glad I took sort of a middle approach this time on that.....for health reasons AND I knew I HAD to try something different to lose weight!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 10:00
Experimenter

BF:

The results of triglycerides after eating carbs was pretty amazing. They just get higher and stay higher and build up after each meal. Another reason snacking all day is so awful. After eating fat triglycerides go high too but they come down quickly.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 10:15

BF:

Must be why IF has really helped me this time around. I have really trained my body to only consume food during a 6 hour window each day. It has really changed the way I eat and has controlled my hunger like never before. Today, I was 141! I can't believe it! They are also talking a lot about the RT3 also. I have however run into one man 'Cadheart" that is definitely anti-paleo/pro-statins - and he likes responding to me most. I wish I knew more. He is very, very smart about what all the numbers mean and wants Stuart to get an ApoE test. I haven't figured out what this is enough to intelligently tell a doctor we want to order it. Can you help?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 10:27
Experimenter

BF:

Nope, ask him if he seems to know what he's talking about. Although anti-paleo/pro-statins doesn't seem like a guy I'd take advice from.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 15:16

BF:

I googled ApoE test and can't really make sense of it. I am still too green! That's why I am just going with getting him the heart scan! Like Dr. Davis said, anything else is really just guessing at this point!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 15:33

BF:

This is one of Cadheart's posts. He obviously knows a whole lot, but is really against saturated fats....

Posted: 2/16/2010 1:14:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RK with your husbands program as it now is, based on his receint lipids, thats high level of LDL-P and high level of LDL-C:

Chart 1 Hubby is High-LDL-P, High LDL-C

Chart2 with hubby's apoB of 144 his LDL-P is likely quintile 4. Non-HDL of 221 is quintile 4
LDL-C of 180 is quintile 4

Thus his program will require more additions of stuff and likely find what he is eating that is driving
his lipids the wrong way. ApoE determination will guide him. Likely his sat fats and coconut oil contribute,
just a hunch- so I would like to know for sure.

Source-

Note Figure 2. event-free survival with respect to LDL-P nmol/L amounts.

Note Table 4 with respect to high levels of LDL-P at quartile 4.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...6287/figure/F2/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...36287/table/T4/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2720529/

Lot of bloggers will not show the previous links to you. It would NOT help sell books. Or they just don't know enough lipid science. Members here have tried to post other views or studies on those bloggs____they get monitored, their views are not allowed if if doe'snt make those website a happy world. Very few of those site have their people do serial NMRs and serial CAC scans. They just always sing the song Happy, Happy, Happy

Your Husband now have a figthing chance. All its down to is Leaning, be smart, know treatment and lifestyle programs, keep an open mind.

The TYP forum is not monitored where post gets deleted. Least I've never seen it. However, on any thoughts or studies there will be lotsa, lotsa discussion when warranted.

Not all TYP members have the same views. Not all TYP members have the same level of knowledge. Not all members
have succeeded to goal, many many are getting close or are there.

I am just a learner. I am always learning. I post what I've learned. With the post I express what I see. Then Discussion is open for members to take the thread to higher levels. From this we all benefit. Control CVD is all our goals.
But not everyone here is at the level of knowledge to do it. Peoples bodies are different. Genetics ands family history rules.
It is not uncommon for some whereby RX is necessary to overpower the bad genetics.... and thats even with
TYP normalization. If genetics is not too bad____TYP lifestyle and 60-60-60 can do fine without RX.

There are some really, Really, REALLY smart people on this TYP forum. I've always feel so EXPOSED when I post.
I have to be careful what I say
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 16:12
Experimenter

BF:

I don't really know what coconut does or doesn't do to lipids. I just know most people have low small particle numbers where they do LC, regardless of how much sat fat they eat.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 19:45

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
This is one of Cadheart's posts. He obviously knows a whole lot, but is really against saturated fats....
Then he needs to catch up on the research. Go to the LC Research/Media forum. There have been several posts recently on saturated fat NOT being a problem. Then do a search at Dr. Mike Eades blog for his blogs on saturated fat and/or fat.

I eat three to four tablespoons of coconut oil every morning for breakfast to moisten up my can of sardines. My triglycerides run in the range of 45 to 60 and my HDL is around 80. AND that is after eating my sardines and coconut oil since 2003.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 20:00

BF:

Thanks!!! Since I am new to Trackyourplaque, I don't want to come in and offend someone by taking an opposite opinion - especially since they spent a lot of time and effort trying to help. He keeps saying something about genotypes, and that my husband needs to learn which type he is to know how he responds to saturated fats.....at least that is what I gather. I know nothing about this. I have basically learned everything from you guys over here, and believe now that some of his opinions are wrong.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 10:48
Experimenter

BF:

Well, after years of posting on various forums I've found you don't have to challenge every post you disagree with. Sometimes I just let sleeping dogs lie.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 22:53

BF:

It's how I learn.... I don't really know enough to say what my opinion is over there yet on a lot of the technical issues. I like open discussion as opposed to learning by reading because I learn so much faster that way!