Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 04:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 153/145/130 Female 58
BF:
Progress:

my husband was on three shots of insulin a day and after we were low carbing six months ws able to quit his shots. His Dr. couldn't believe this and told him if it works keep it up. Cured no always a diabetic but watching his carbs has really helped alot and for this we are very thankful for. Now if I would quit smoking
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 04:25

BF:
Progress:

I forgot to tell you he has been off of his insulin shots for three years now
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 04:31

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

That's fantastic, grandma; and yes, if you could kick the cigs...

Don't give up, you can do it.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 05:04

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Thanks for the posts all..... I am sure there are more stories out there yet to be told.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 05:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
I'm not "cured", but hope to be, and soon.

My fasting blood sugar was 83, and that was the doctor's office result; this came in March, and after a day and a half without any meds. My fbs in December was 339. A bit of a difference!

This morning, it was 84. It hasn't went over 100 (at test time) in a few months, but then again, I eat under 30 (sometimes 20) grams of carbs a day.

Hello Daryl - Excellent control !!

You are a good testimony to low carbing as a "control" of diabetes. But the question becomes, are you cured or reversed.

Low carbing definitely controls the disease. I am currently taking Januvia as a med. The possibility of this drug is that it will help to revitalize the pancreas and its beta cells and thus perhaps "reverse" the disease; we will see.

I do need to read up on it more and understand more about Januvia. Otherwise, we are simply controlling our disease and staying out of trouble.

The lesson I learn from you is that the Dr. Bernstein approach of 6-12-12 gms of carbs per day along with exercise, truly controls the disease. But even the T1 diabetic must take insulin on 6-12-12 albeit it is minimized.

Ralph
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmah52
my husband was on three shots of insulin a day and after we were low carbing six months ws able to quit his shots. His Dr. couldn't believe this and told him if it works keep it up. Cured no always a diabetic but watching his carbs has really helped alot and for this we are very thankful for. Now if I would quit smoking

You must quit smoking !

My wife was a light smoker over 15 years ago and plenty of secondary smoke for both of us at night clubs.

Well, she was lucky since she found stage 1a lung cancer in her left lung quite by accident this past April 2007 and had her upper lobe of her left lung removed. She was looking for heart issues and had a cardiac catscan. The heart was fine, but the mass in the lung and thyroid were discovered.

So, quit smoking.

Ralph
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 14:20

Posted by DancinBr:

Quote:
But the question becomes, are you cured or reversed?......Low carbing definitely controls the disease. I am currently taking Januvia as a med. The possibility of this drug is that it will help to revitalize the pancreas and its beta cells and thus perhaps "reverse" the disease; we will see.?

Januvia is a Drug. At the website: www.januvia.com it speaks of possible complications, risks, useage with other medications, but there is no mention of this drug revitalizing the pancreas and its beta cells. From what I read, the purpose of Januvia is to give control over absorption of low GI foods, not helping us reverse diabetes symptoms............... Any drug made to help eat what we should probably not be eating in the first place, or allows us to eat more of what we should be limiting ourselves on, is kind of redundant and self-defeating, especially when the product manufacturer states the risks and complications.
--------------------------------------------------------
I mean no criticism, but this thread is about people getting off of drugs and controlling diabetes without the use of drugs.
---------------------------------------------------------

"Gymnema sylvestre" and the Chinese herbal tea pills "Mai Wei Di Huang Wan" are natural substances, not drugs and do not have adverse reactions and are excellent choices for controlling and reversing the symptoms of diabetes in combination with diet, exercise and useage of other appropriate supplements.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Cure" has been menioned several times on this thread, which is not what this thread is about anyway..... It's about "diabetes reversal"......... which means reversing the symptoms of diabetes without drugs.........

CURE has been mentioned in a few replies on this thread. I would like to offer my take on "cure". I think "cure" means, finding something that works and keep doing it as long as it works. I don't think that "cure" means I can go back and do what I did that caused my problems in the first place and now I won't have the previous results because I am "cured". Duh!

If I had diabetes and traditional medicine was taking me down a road of continued health deterioration and now, I have discovered a way to eat for life, a way to take supplements, a way to exercise and overall a way to achieve better heatlh, I think I have the right to call it whatever I want, be it "cure", "reversal", "control", "saved", "improvement", "manage" or anything else I want to call it.....

To me "Cure" means finding something that works and staying with it as long as it continues to work. I am not married to my disease, so why embrace the idea that I cannot cure it. That sounds so defeatest to me, so much hopelessness in that type of thinking. I've seen many diabetics, myself included at one time, who do not know the first thing about improving health. Daily life is busy taking one pill after another, sitting all day long feeling consumed by the disease.

I know this and believe it as a fact!

Diabetes is the easiest disease in the world to reverse and I reversed it in just one day, but it took having a new attitude and a willingness to challenge myself. It took throwing out all prior beliefs that kept me intrenched in my disease. It took addressing all of the secondary problems I had; high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, loss of sexual funciton, obesity and diabetic neuropathy in both hands and feet. These are all reversed now and without drugs!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:51

Let me say this; I do still take Januvia, if I gave the impression that I'm totally off of it, I apologize. When I talked about having a reading of 83 after not taking meds for a day and a half, I only intended to illustrate my hope that low carbing is, and will, enable me to one day get off meds.

Again, sorry for any confusion!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:19
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/235/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I am an out of control type 2 diabetic. I am increasing my Lantus insulin gradually and also take Glucophage daily. I need to lose 80 lbs and overeat every evening. It's like I have no control/will-power. I hurt all over, am tired all the time, rarely see my blood sugar below 180 anymore and I feel so old.
I do pretty well all day, watching the carbs and then at night, I CRAVE chips or ice cream. I am losing my mind.....for real.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
I am an out of control type 2 diabetic. I am increasing my Lantus insulin gradually and also take Glucophage daily. I need to lose 80 lbs and overeat every evening. It's like I have no control/will-power. I hurt all over, am tired all the time, rarely see my blood sugar below 180 anymore and I feel so old.
I do pretty well all day, watching the carbs and then at night, I CRAVE chips or ice cream. I am losing my mind.....for real.

Woodsy, you have to decide what's most important to you. Easy for me to say, I know, but that's what got me through the rough spots.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein, formerl Atkins
Stats: 375/237/222 Male 71 inches
BF:BMI 51/33/31
Progress: 90%

CajunBoy,
I've been able to reduce my meds very substantially, and my BS's too, through VLC dieting, but have not managed to eliminate them altogether.

When I started LCing (on Atkins) almost 5 years ago, I was maxed out on MET (2000mg/day) and GLY (20mg/day) and starting Avandia, because my FBG was 155. I dropped the Avandia within a week, cut the MET and GLY in half soon after, and cut them both in half again a few weeks later. Trying to stay on Induction (20 net carbs per day) I lost 60 lbs in about 9 months and stayed on just 500 MET and 5 GLY for the next 3 years.

Last summer I gained back 12 pounds (lots of ice cream, etc.), so I started Bernstein in October and in 36 weeks have lost 72 pounds. I also cut the GLY to 2.5mg and then to 1.25mg. and then eliminated it altogether. I still take 500 MET. My BS's were lower when I was taking GLY but my FBG average is about 100 (vs. 95 before). I continue to lose 2 lbs/wk. average. I take lots of supplements, and do not exercise. I am very active, however, spending 5 or 6 hours in the garden and on 'projects' every day.

Besides eating on average 30 carbs (20 net) per day, I try to limit my protein to 80 grams per day and my fats to 90 grams -- 1,250 calories total.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:58

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"I do pretty well all day, watching the carbs and then at night, I CRAVE chips or ice cream. I am losing my mind.....for real."
chips: try a few slices of crisp turkey bacon
ice cream: how about locarb yogurt-Krogers
carb control or Blue Bunny?
Good luck
Eddie
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 06:13

BF:
Progress:

my husband was on three shots of insulin a day morning evening and bedtime and with low carbing it got to running so low they let hom go off of it to see if it was his diet is has been three years. Dennis gave up potatoes and bread. It has worked he does now have potatoes very rarely and we eat low carb bread. but if his sugars raise he won't eat them for awhile has one slice of bread maybe3 or 4 times a week. He is very self controlled on this as he hated shots. Try it it worked We are hoping it works for many more years and he is 60
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 07:09

BF:
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
Posted by DancinBr:

Januvia is a Drug. At the website: www.januvia.com it speaks of possible complications, risks, useage with other medications, but there is no mention of this drug revitalizing the pancreas and its beta cells. From what I read, the purpose of Januvia is to give control over absorption of low GI foods, not helping us reverse diabetes symptoms............... Any drug made to help eat what we should probably not be eating in the first place, or allows us to eat more of what we should be limiting ourselves on, is kind of redundant and self-defeating, especially when the product manufacturer states the risks and complications.
--------------------------------------------------------
I mean no criticism, but this thread is about people getting off of drugs and controlling diabetes without the use of drugs.
---------------------------------------------------------

"Gymnema sylvestre" and the Chinese herbal tea pills "Mai Wei Di Huang Wan" are natural substances, not drugs and do not have adverse reactions and are excellent choices for controlling and reversing the symptoms of diabetes in combination with diet, exercise and useage of other appropriate supplements.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Cure" has been menioned several times on this thread, which is not what this thread is about anyway..... It's about "diabetes reversal"......... which means reversing the symptoms of diabetes without drugs.........

CURE has been mentioned in a few replies on this thread. I would like to offer my take on "cure". I think "cure" means, finding something that works and keep doing it as long as it works. I don't think that "cure" means I can go back and do what I did that caused my problems in the first place and now I won't have the previous results because I am "cured". Duh!

If I had diabetes and traditional medicine was taking me down a road of continued health deterioration and now, I have discovered a way to eat for life, a way to take supplements, a way to exercise and overall a way to achieve better heatlh, I think I have the right to call it whatever I want, be it "cure", "reversal", "control", "saved", "improvement", "manage" or anything else I want to call it.....

To me "Cure" means finding something that works and staying with it as long as it continues to work. I am not married to my disease, so why embrace the idea that I cannot cure it. That sounds so defeatest to me, so much hopelessness in that type of thinking. I've seen many diabetics, myself included at one time, who do not know the first thing about improving health. Daily life is busy taking one pill after another, sitting all day long feeling consumed by the disease.

I know this and believe it as a fact!

Diabetes is the easiest disease in the world to reverse and I reversed it in just one day, but it took having a new attitude and a willingness to challenge myself. It took throwing out all prior beliefs that kept me intrenched in my disease. It took addressing all of the secondary problems I had; high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, loss of sexual funciton, obesity and diabetic neuropathy in both hands and feet. These are all reversed now and without drugs!

No need to go ballistic Mr. Cajunboy.

I simply wanted to get some clarifications on where you were coming from when you started this thread.

No duhs needed either.

I apologize to you and others if I offended you, not the intention at all.

I have followed a lot of your thoughts and I have not made the decision you made as yet to go natural. There can be a entire conversation on "natural" versuse drugs as well. That is not the intent of this thread either.

As I have said in other posts on other threads, I applaud your approach. I am not sure it is for everyone and as you say it is an individual choice. There are even "natural" remedies that have had side effects worse than so called "drugs".

But now I do understand more clearly what you were saying when you opened the thread.

Thanks.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 07:46

Wow, thanks for these posts I've been reading... I would like to comment to each that posted since my last post.....

Daryl: If your stats are current, you are very close to goal weight, so congratulations. I am surprised you are still having to take Januivia. I would like to ask you: How long have you been diabetic? How many carbs do you average daily?

Woodsy: Your admission of "out of control" means you are not in denial, which in itself is a good thing. To begin my new way of eating, I had to tell myself that normal for me was LC dieting for life. I had to make other eating seem repulsive and detrimental to get my mindset straight. This took me over a year to accomplish, so believe me, I understand it is not easy for you. The one change that helped me get my eating more under control was to learn to start each day with a high protein breakfast. No carbs at breakfast when I first started. It kept my food cravings down and got my day going in the right direction and somehow, it gave me more ability to kick my night time snack eating. I hope you can find your best way to kick the cravings. I believe in experimenting with new approaches until something works, but keeping the focus on being in "control".......

danbrown: I wish I could lose 2 pounds a week, great job on the weight loss. Looking at your stats, you are almost at your goal weight. Looking at your BMI, it seems you might be able to lose a bit more. Am I right? Are you thinking of revising your goal weight? I am not suggesting, just looking at your stats and I am curious. I find that gardening work isn't enough for me and since I added walking an hour after meals, I found greater control of BG, but I didn't begin doing that until I really felt comfortable with it. At first, I had to lose some weight so I could feel good enough to walk. I enjoy gardening also. Good luck and keep on trying, we can control this disease, never give up that hope....

grandmah52: That is great about your husband finding success, especially after being on insulin. I would like to know more about what he does, not just for my sake, but for those who are now on insulin and might can get inspired by his success. Example: Exercise? Daily Carb totals? Amount of weight loss? Any other particular things that contributed to his success?

Dancinbr: The "duh" is not intended at you or any other person, it is a self realization I reached one day and it made me feel like I should have known better all along,but I didn't..... Any comments about this thread is really about this: The "Bernstein/diabetes" forum is about the least used forum at this website and I would like to stir up some interest at this forum. So, please forgive me if I sounded offensive, it was not my intention. As we speak up more, we'll have better understanding and hey, no apologies necessary from you to me. I realize my enthusiasm sometimes get me misunderstood.. I agree that some natural remedies can have adverse reactions, especially herbs taken while still using drugs. I did a fair amount of research and feel I am avoiding natural remedies that lead to adverse reactions, but I am sure the things I take successfully could spell trouble for someone else, it is possible. Please come back and post and if you have other things to share with all of us diabetics, I encourage you and others to begin some threads at this forum. good luck to you... Thanks for your reply....