Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 10:00

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Coronavirus may be VASCULAR rather than merely respiratory

Not sure that this will surprise many readers of this forum who are generally well-informed re the whole issue of "inflammation" and disease.

Quote:
In April, blood clots emerged as one of the many mysterious symptoms attributed to Covid-19, a disease that had initially been thought to largely affect the lungs in the form of pneumonia. Quickly after came reports of young people dying due to coronavirus-related strokes. Next it was Covid toes — painful red or purple digits.

What do all of these symptoms have in common? An impairment in blood circulation. Add in the fact that 40% of deaths from Covid-19 are related to cardiovascular complications, and the disease starts to look like a vascular infection instead of a purely respiratory one.

Months into the pandemic, there is now a growing body of evidence to support the theory that the novel coronavirus can infect blood vessels, which could explain not only the high prevalence of blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks, but also provide an answer for the diverse set of head-to-toe symptoms that have emerged.

“All these Covid-associated complications were a mystery. We see blood clotting, we see kidney damage, we see inflammation of the heart, we see stroke, we see encephalitis [swelling of the brain],” says William Li, MD, president of the Angiogenesis Foundation. “A whole myriad of seemingly unconnected phenomena that you do not normally see with SARS or H1N1 or, frankly, most infectious diseases.”

“If you start to put all of the data together that’s emerging, it turns out that this virus is probably a vasculotropic virus, meaning that it affects the [blood vessels],” says Mandeep Mehra, MD, medical director of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Heart and Vascular Center.

In a paper published in April in the scientific journal The Lancet Mehra and a team of scientists discovered that the SARS-CoV-2 virus can infect the endothelial cells that line the inside of blood vessels.

Here is a link to the rest of the story.

And, a link to the original scientific article in the Lancet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 16:13

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've been reading this for about a week now. The first I read was from an Italian doctor studying the disease that devastated his country's population.

It explains all the strange symptoms for a respiratory disease.

It seems to enter through the respirator system but attack the lining of the blood vessels and destroying anything in it's path that is slightly weakened or has a genetic predisposition for a problem.

I read about a 45 year old man who seemed to be in peak physical condition. COVID destroyed his kidneys, and now he will have to be on dialysis for the rest of his shortened life.

Realizing it's vascular might mean a new, better way to treat the disease will come next. At least we can hope anyway.

Bob
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 17:26
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I've been reading this for about a week now. The first I read was from an Italian doctor studying the disease that devastated his country's population.

It explains all the strange symptoms for a respiratory disease.

It seems to enter through the respirator system but attack the lining of the blood vessels and destroying anything in it's path that is slightly weakened or has a genetic predisposition for a problem.

I read about a 45 year old man who seemed to be in peak physical condition. COVID destroyed his kidneys, and now he will have to be on dialysis for the rest of his shortened life.

Realizing it's vascular might mean a new, better way to treat the disease will come next. At least we can hope anyway.

Bob

Thats the way I see it too. Scary if you have a blood disorder or a clotting issue. :/