Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 14:40
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Vitamin D deficiency linked to gestational diabetes

Vitamin D deficiency linked to gestational diabetes

19 October 2012

Research presented at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes Meeting reports that vitamin D deficiency during the first trimester of pregnancy is linked with a significantly increased risk for development of gestational diabetes.

This association has been seen before, but previous research results have been inconsistent due to confounding factors.

The study included 655 pregnant women aged 18 or older, 6-13 weeks into pregnancy. The researchers assessed vitamin D status at the start of the study (week 6-13 of gestation) and then assessed each participant for diabetes at week 24-28. Fifty-four of the women developed gestational diabetes (8%).

Twenty-six percent of the women were vitamin D deficient (<20 ng/mL) during their first trimester. Thirty-seven percent of women who developed gestational diabetes by the second trimester were vitamin D deficient.

These finding were statistically significant after controlling for age, season of sampling, vitamin D supplementation, and waist circumference. The risk for developing gestational diabetes increased by 40% for each standard deviation decrease in 25(OH)D levels (7.5 ng/mL).

Marilyn Lacroix, the researcher presenting the study, stated that they did not control for previous incidence of gestational diabetes, a factor which increases the risk of developing gestational diabetes a second time.

A European study is in progress to assess whether vitamin D supplementation will prevent gestational diabetes.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vita...ional-diabetes/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 07:03

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

IMO it's not going to prevent it. For one thing, not only did I spend a lot of time in the sun before getting pregnant, I used to lay out in a bikini WHILE pregnant. Still got GD.

Every female over 40, except one, on my Mother's side has Type 2; all but 2 on my father's side did or do. Big families, too. I highly doubt some Vitamin D would have stopped those genes.

By their own admission, they didn't control for previous GD. Why not? Oversight? Almost everyone who has had it once will have it with subsequent pregnancies.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 07:13
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
IMO it's not going to prevent it. For one thing, not only did I spend a lot of time in the sun before getting pregnant, I used to lay out in a bikini WHILE pregnant. Still got GD.

Every female over 40, except one, on my Mother's side has Type 2; all but 2 on my father's side did or do. Big families, too. I highly doubt some Vitamin D would have stopped those genes.

By their own admission, they didn't control for previous GD. Why not? Oversight? Almost everyone who has had it once will have it with subsequent pregnancies.

There are many who HAVE prevented recurring GD with vitamin D therapy. Dr. Hollis in NC has the studies to prove it.

But I do agree for those who have a family history of diabetes in their families, or who have had GD before need something in addition to vitamin D.

I've found that 2-500 mcg of GTF chromium 2-3 times a day prevents GD and will also prevent GD in many women who have had GD before.

However, vitamin D has many, many important, nay essential, benefits for a developing fetus and a healthy, non complicated pregnancy that I urge every pregnant woman I know and meet to have a vitamin D test done and to supplement with vitamin D when pregnant or TTC.

Assessment of dietary vitamin D requirements during pregnancy and lactation
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/7...7.full.pdf+html
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-12, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Interesting . I had gestational diabetes and years later tested low for vitamin D. Bet I have been low for years.