Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 05:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/167/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Trying to conceive and LC

Hello!

I have been eating LC since April and am really enjoying the benefits. We started trying to conceive our first child in May and I was wondering whether eating LC can have a negative impact on falling pregnant? I'm due to see my GP tomorrow and I'm not sure if she will be pro or anti LC (it's the first time I've seen her) so wanted to get my facts beforehand.

Any advice or experience would be gratefully received xxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 07:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

As long as you eat plenty of fresh unprocessed meat and veg (and maybe some multi vitamins to make sure) then I cant see why it would be a problem - lets face it, do you really need bread, pasta and sugar to help???
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 07:52

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
As long as you eat plenty of fresh unprocessed meat and veg (and maybe some multi vitamins to make sure) then I cant see why it would be a problem - lets face it, do you really need bread, pasta and sugar to help???

^^^^this

The way I looked was this. If it's not good for you when you're not supporting another life, then why would it be healthy after you conceive? I guess it boils down to whether this is a diet or a woe. Of course, when you're pregnant, your nutritional needs increase and I needed to add more carbs in the form of fruits and veggies. I also increased my fat intake....after I stopped throwing up. For both of my pregnancies in America, my doctors actually recommended the south beach diet, maintenance phase, for pregnancy. Here in Japan, for my third pregnancy, I was told to eat low fat. Of course I didn't listen!

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 11:29

BF:

Thanks for your input ladies, I was really worried I'd have to alter my diet and as I intend on staying with the WOE for good that would be really disappointing. Good to know that I should be ok xxx
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 13:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quite the opposite, actually. Smart gynos use LC diets to help women with PCOS to conceive.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 03:04

BF:

Really that's interesting Nancy! Any idea what the thinking is behind it? Is it to manage the extra weight that can be a result of PCOS? xx

I'm just off to see my GP now so I will see what she says and how she feels about LC, I hope she is supportive.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 06:12
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelists
Really that's interesting Nancy! Any idea what the thinking is behind it? Is it to manage the extra weight that can be a result of PCOS? xx

I'm just off to see my GP now so I will see what she says and how she feels about LC, I hope she is supportive.

PCOS, is a disorder of insulin. Excess insulin is produced, insulin resistance occurs. Excess insulin affects the ovaries, causing an increase in the release of testosterone, and ovulation issues which causes cystic ovaries (but not in all cases). LC helps to reduce the insulin levels so that ovulation can occur and normal cycles can resume. Also excess insulin causes weight gain .

Lee
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 10:25

Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

I wish I had stuck to LC after falling pregnant. I am now 16 months post partem, and struggling to lose the 40 pounds gained in pregnancy.

You can't possibly go wrong eating veggies, fruits, meats and dairy during pregnancy. Your baby doesn't need anything else.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 11:13

BF:

Really interesting information thank you!

My GP was ok, she said she could smell ketones on my breath (not in a bad way) so I explained I was on LC and she was fine with that. Need to go back for more tests (for diabetes, hypothyroidism etc.) but I'm glad I don't have to fight the LC corner The worst thing was their scales are broken so she weight me in 7lbs lighter than I am!!! Got me all excited! lol x