Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 07:43

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Testing Blood SUgar Durring Pregnancy

When I was pregnant, they always wanted to do a fasting glucose test on me. THey would give me this nasty orange flavored stuff to drinik and afterwards I always got physically sick. They told me I was not diabetic. What is that crap they gave me and is it straight sugar? Since I low carb now and hoping to stay with low carb wouldn't the sugary crap bring back on my cravings and bad habbits?

It is my choice, wether or not to take the stuff and take the test but they manage to make a person feel bad for not taking the tests. I don't want to be sick and get more cravings, yet I do want to know if I become diabetic.

Not pregnant yet, working on it. BUt, this is something that I've thought of and wanted to have info when I go to my appts.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 08:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can buy your own glucose meter and do your own test. The Reli-on Micro (Walmart) is cheap, accurate and the strips are some of the least expensive.

This web site has good instructions on how to do your own GT test.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 09:09

BF:

Nancy you are wonderful, why can't you be my neighbor?

I have a meter, and as long as I keep with eating LC, I stay down anywhere from 70 to 85. I tried it once an hour after drinking half bottle of dry wine and it was up to 123 and still up around 100 the next morning. I don't think I'm a diabetic, but I am going to have problems if I don't mind my carbs. I've never remembered to test when I was eating high carb.

I wonder if a person or pregnant woman can get diabetes if they are eating low carb? (if not diabetic before)

Will the Drs accept my home meter testing instead of there nasty glucose test? Any idea why I get physically sick when I drink the stuff? I always thought my blood sugar can get way to low and that may be why I get sick. Insulin goes up and comes crashing back down, way down.

A lot of thoughts on the subject. My TOM isn't due to start till next Wed, but I have to wonder if I'm not pregnant. From my history (3 pregnancies), I was hungry even from the start, and I'm not having my usual PMS symtoms. I'm usually crying, and easily disturbed, the usual hormonal crap. I actually feel rather calm, cravings come and go but thats normal for me. The last 3 days I am hungry alot! Not cravings, but real hunger, I'm eating more than I should but I am keeping it LC.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 10:14
Experimenter

BF:

You need a few days of higher carb eating before doing the GT, otherwise the results will be askew. Dr. Atkins mentions it in his book.

What are the symptoms of your sickness when you do it? Many people have an insulin backlash that makes them go hypoglycemic. Is that what you're experiencing?

I'd suggest using the meter yourself to see if you actually need to take the GT. If you don't get into diabetic numbers, then don't take the test.

Also... make sure your strips aren't old. They'll register low if they're older than a few months. Once they've been opened they start to degrade.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 19:09

BF:

After I drink the glucose drink, I get light headed, weak, feel like I'm going to vomit and all around bad. They have always told me that I wasn't a diabetic though, no one ever seems to care and didn't mention my problems even though I told them what would happen if I drank it.

If I'm not eating LC at that point, I will probably go ahaid with it, but if I am LCing successfully and not binging and cravings are under control, I will refuse it. We will see what happens, that could be a long way off.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-12, 20:52

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You need a few days of higher carb eating before doing the GT, otherwise the results will be askew. Dr. Atkins mentions it in his book.

Hate to barge in on someone else's thread, but could you clarify this? I just epic failed my 1 hour test with a reading of 178. But all my numbers at home are normal. (I started a thread about it in the diabetes forum, because I'm freaking out.) So, how are the results "askew" as you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
Not pregnant yet, working on it. BUt, this is something that I've thought of and wanted to have info when I go to my appts.

My OB didn't give me a choice. She said if I didn't do the 1 hour test, she would have to treat me like a GD patient. Which, in her mind, meant a more or less obligatory c-section.

However, I know some are more lenient and will let patients eat a meal then come in to have a blood draw. Or they will do at-home monitoring as a substitute. It really depends on the doctor, so if it's a big concern you would need to ask. However, I doubt the one sugar shot would throw you off course.

I'm pretty sure it is possible to develop GD with low-carb, but unless it's insanely terrible it isn't an issue as long as you stay low-carb. You're no longer able to process the carbs, but if you're not eating them, what's the problem? Most of our diets are more stringent on glucose management than the diet they prescribe - I've heard of women with GD being given a 250 carb per day max and still controlling it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 06:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

You won't get GD if you take vitamin D3 and GTF chromium.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 07:27

BF:

WHile I was in the ER Sat night they ran all kinds of tests on me including my BS. I want to mention that I was not eating LC that evening at supper. The test was done 3 hours after I ate a carby meal. My BS leveal was 79, I was really surprised. I asked my gyno about it yesterday, he said I'm probably not a diabetic. yay! Now I just need to behave myself to not become a diabetic!

Quote:
You won't get GD if you take vitamin D3 and GTF chromium.

Thats pretty neet info!

I didn't think to ask how he treats the test. I guess I'll ask when I'm pregnant and if I'm eating LC.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 08:33
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari
Hate to barge in on someone else's thread, but could you clarify this? I just epic failed my 1 hour test with a reading of 178. But all my numbers at home are normal. (I started a thread about it in the diabetes forum, because I'm freaking out.) So, how are the results "askew" as you say?

You can probably find this info on Dr. Eades blog as well. It is in the Atkins books too, don't ask me where... been too long since I've read it.

Someone posted about their own tests recently too. But take four days of eating 150g of carbs BEFORE doing a GTT. Dr. Eades says you stop making the enzymes to handle carbs and it takes a while before you make them again.