Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 00:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%
Default "Vibration" Exercise

No. ... This is not what you're thinking.

When I was a little girl, in the paleolithic era aka late 1960s, life was... odd. I have some of the STRANGEST memories from that time. And no, I am not talking about aliens.

There was, for example, the contraption my mother and aunt and their friends seemed to consider as basic to life as "putting on their face" was to each day.

It had a platform, and you stood on it, and it had a tall stand at one side, out of which came this soft but huge material "belt" that you put around your waist.

Then you turned it on and it ViBrAtEdYoUrMoLeCuLeS for however long.

As a child, I could not imagine a more terrific machine. This was like the ponies and a merry go round and jumping on the bed all in one.

They would never let me use the damn thing. I think it had something to do with the fact that I was so short I would only have been able to vibrate my head. Which sounded equally cool to me, but you know how mothers are.

I sometimes get this stuff called "blue-green algae", which is exactly what it sounds like, and in the best case comes in a bottle you refrigerate, with a dropper you use to place liquid under your tongue. The liquid tastes like some disgustingly vile slime that grows at the bottom of lakes.

Oh wait. Well that's pretty much what it is.

I like the stuff though. (Hmmmn. Maybe they DID let me vibrate my head.) Not for the taste. I had a friend who used to sell it see. He sent it to me as a sample, and I used it solely because he asked me to, and realized after several days that I had significantly more energy than usual. Well later when I ran out I didn't use it again. A few years later a friend gave me some more and one day I realized I had significantly more energy, then realized it was after several days of taking this, and remembered it had been like that before -- and so, suffice to say, I developed some respect for the product.

So today I got an email newsletter from the Klamath company about a sale, and on the page with the sale stuff, they had advertised this exercise machine.

Now, this may be the most brilliant technology in the world, especially if it doesn't require major motion (for hugely obese people that's a big deal); I do isometric style "holds" in some exercises because I just can't do the actual exercise, for example.

But I couldn't help but see it as a new version of the machine that vibrates you, except this time it's working on your whole body. Which TOTALLY CRACKED ME UP.

For a MERE few THOUSAND dollars (darn, there goes my Elliptical plans!), you can get the Noblerex K1 Whole Body Vibration Machine!

The page of info is here:
http://www.noblerex-k1.com/index.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 01:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/154/112 Female 5ft 2ins
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for that post, really made me giggle! I actually know the machine thingy you mean too, not got one, lol, but dod remember them. Blue green stuff, rings a bell, but not tried it
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 09:20

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

My siblings and I acheived the same effect by climbing up on the old washing machine during the spin cycle. I may do that again, it was nice...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

I have a vibrating seat cover in my car....weeeeeee! It only cost me $10.

I remember the machine you are talking about. I think I saw a couple of cartoons with it in it as well.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 09:54
~writes for Him~

Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I remember using those when I first joined a spa, probably 25 years ago, right out of high school. What a joke they were, but they felt good.

One piece of equipment I loved there was a spoked wheel thingie that you could sort of sit on so the spokes massaged your butt, or you could lay on the floor and put your feet on. That was wonderful. If they still made those I would buy one just for my feet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
It had a platform, and you stood on it, and it had a tall stand at one side, out of which came this soft but huge material "belt" that you put around your waist.

I remember seeing those on the really old TV shows. I think when I was young they even had them in a gym I went in once. But by that time, no one ever used it any more.

Thanks for bringing back those memories!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 10:39

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I was just thinking about those belt machines yesterday. Does anyone know what results they were actually supposed to cause? I figure it was shaking the fat loose.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 11:36
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Do you follow that up with one of those Turkish Bath things where your body is encased in this big plastic cube and your head is poking out the top?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 11:57

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Maybe it jiggled out the cellulite.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 12:02

Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

If that stuff worked, my car back massager would have slimmed up my back.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 12:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
It had a platform, and you stood on it, and it had a tall stand at one side, out of which came this soft but huge material "belt" that you put around your waist.http://www.noblerex-k1.com/index.htm

My next door neighbours had one in their basement & we weren't allowed to try it for the same reason you mentioned - we were too short. I'm not sure how often Mrs. I used it, but it didn't appear to work! I think Ethel used one at a spa or something on I Love Lucy too. It is funny to look at those shows since Ethel was considered the "fat" one, but she would be average by today's standards.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 19:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 350/280/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Do you follow that up with one of those Turkish Bath things where your body is encased in this big plastic cube and your head is poking out the top?

That sounds like those weight loss suits they sold in the '80s on TV. "Sauna suits" or something. They looked like they were made of Mylar. You were supposed to sweat the weight off.

I guess the vibrating machine was similar to those electronic muscle stimulators in the late 90s/early '00s that electrocuted some people.

Remember AYDS?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 09:21
~writes for Him~

Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Maybe it jiggled out the cellulite.

I think the theory was that increasing your circulation in that area would help diminish cellulite.

(oh and I also had the silver sauna suit way-back-when)