Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 16:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/138/125 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default "Carbs Are Cool" ...Not!

This is in the latest calorie-count.com newsletter. Just another example of the mass brainwashing out there...

Calorie-Count.com - free nutrition database and dieting portal

Carbs are Cool!

This new series of articles offers essential tips and information to help you succeed on your weight loss journey with Calorie-Count.com.

Carbohydrates primarily come from fresh fruits, vegetables, grains and anything containing sugar.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that you limit your daily intake of processed sugars in sweetened food and drink to no more than 10% of your daily caloric intake. Processing, such as the processes that turn whole oats into white bread robs the resultant product of much of the micronutrients that come with the original whole oats.

In general, the FDA suggests that you eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, and that at least half of your sources of grains come from whole grains (whole wheat breads, brown rice, etc.), and that you eat fewer sources of processed carbohydrates, sugars. The advantage of eating whole wheats over simple sugars is that they make you stay fuller longer, and that whole grains have higher concentrations of fiber in them.

The FDA suggests:

* About 3-5 servings of vegetables a day, preferably with a wide variety of different vegetables of different colors. You're more likely to get a full set of micronutrients if you make sure to work in a large variety of different vegetables.
* 2 servings of fruit, and:
* 4-6 servings of grains, at least half of which are whole grains

I want to warn you, somewhere, about the potential issues surrounding many sugar substitutes. There are controversies surrounding the healthfulness of most sugar substitutes, such as aspartame, splenda and high-fructose corn sugar. Use these at your own discretion, but make sure to understand that these sweeteners are not natural, in any way, and may have harmful side effects.

Howard Kellick has been a member of Calorie-Count since April 17 and has successfully lost 57 pounds. He lives in Fairfax, VA, with his fiancee and four cats. You can find him on the forums as hkellick.

Hey, why don't we put a few of our own points of view on their forums simply for the sake of educating the ignorant masses? Here is the forum section of their website http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/forums/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 17:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
4-6 servings of grains, at least half of which are whole grains

I may eat that many in a whole week...not just one day!!

ugh....I am just not willing to battle over this any longer.....people think that SBD is "too carby" and it may be for some but its been just fine for me.

I do have to say that if I had eaten as many carbs ie: grains/starch, as the SBD allows, I'd still be trying to get to my goal weight.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 17:22
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Hey, why don't we put a few of our own points of view on their forums simply for the sake of educating the ignorant masses? Here is the forum section of their website http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/forums/

Why? You know how people here feel about people who post anti-low carb. It’s not a matter of educating. It’s a matter of each to his own. No plan works for everyone. Extremely low carb does not work for me, neither does high fat. It’s a middle road for me, somewhat like the FDA is recommending. What the FDA recommends works for many people. It’s recommended for healthy people. A lot of people that low carb works for are not healthy. Their blood sugar/metabolisms are already messed up. Why go into another website where people are happy and achieving success with what they are doing - you don’t like it when people come here and do that (although it does make this part of the forum interesting from time to time)

I can eat several servings of whole grain breads a day, a potato and two fruits.... and maintain or lose weight depending on the quantities of protein and fat I eat in combination with that. My carbs are around 100-120 a day. That is still a lot better than someone who eats out once a day or uses convenience foods at home. Again, it's not one plan for everyone, it's what works for YOU - You seem to have as much of a problem of a moderate everything plan working for others as some of them have with a low carb plan working for you.

I seriously doubt that it's about people being uneducated about low carb. Actually I am SICK of hearing that. Anyone who can read or hear by now has heard about low carb and the successess of it. It's not a little known plan as it was way back when it started in the late sixties or early seventies. It's been full blown out on the news and if the people who say they are afraid of it because of bad publicity paid as much attention to that as they would have us believe, well then they wouldn't be needing it would they, since potatoe chips and twinkies have been getting bad Pr for just as long.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 56%

Who cares about other people I say. If they don't like it, they don't have to do it. Be happy knowing that it DOES work, and it works for you. I've learned to try to not get worked up when people tell me low carb is not Ok. It's like, "ya, I've lost 14 lbs. of WATER WEIGHT in the last 5 weeks. Right."
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 18:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/138/125 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Don't Give Up The Fight!

KoKo - I didn't see a disclaimer that these recommendations are only for those that are healthy. Also, low carbing is almost worse-off than when it was a little-known plan...it's considered by many to be a fad past its prime, dead even.

Why should we try to educate the general public on the benefits of low carb? For both selfish and altruistic reasons; the more mainstream/proven/accepted the lowcarb lifestyle is, the easier it is for the lowcarber in the public arena, and the more we are able to avoid the epidemic of diabesity in the general population, which lowers medical costs and suffering, not to mention that the "general population" includes people we know and love.

Don't give up the fight against the powerful sugar and grain industries!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 18:17
Registered Member

Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 56%

I think it's ok to educate the public. The problem is that people always think you are being uppidy. I'm just one to let people know I am doing LC, and let the results speak for themselves. Ha!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 18:41
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I have to agree with Koko. How many times has someone come to our forum to "enlighten" us? They get trounced in pretty short order, and I often wonder what their motivation is... maybe they just picked apart an article on low-carbing on their site and felt the need to come teach us the truth as THEY see it?

So they said 4-6 servings of mostly whole grains... don't they get any credit for calling for fewer processed foods, cutting WAY back on refined carbs, eating more veggies and fruits and trying to get more fiber?

Guess not.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 19:10
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to agree with KoKo and Tater here.

I also think it's worth pointing out that some of the lower carb plans we support here allow whole grains. .

I just don't think it helps to go to forums to edumacate the "ignorant masses." As Tater says, we get pretty stroppy when non-low carbers come here to "help" us. JMHO

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-06, 12:49
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins and SBD and some others "allow" whole grains with the caveat that they don't interfere with weight loss. A lot of people seem to assume that they will get to add grains and sugary fruits back in as they "climb the ladder". It makes for good advertising copy when the market is grain/sugar addicts, but in practice it doesn't work out that way for a lot of people.

Other plans - Protein Power, Cordainpaleo and Neanderthin do not allow grains, refined or whole, on the grounds that have less to do with weight loss than the immune response to gluten and lectins. This is also my primary concern. There are lots of relatively unprocessed low-carb grain products (tortillas, flatbreads) but I don't eat them because of potential for immune system damage.