Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#196   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 16:12

Plan: CAD/Gluten-free
Stats: 263/211/125 Female 62 inches (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I like that too! I make what I call a coconut curry chicken by pan sauteing chicken (usually thighs for this) in coconut oil, seasoned with curry. Yum!

Oh YUM..... I was wondering about dried coconut- I have had a shrimp dipped in egg white and rolled in unsweetened coconut before the diet that I enjoyed- I know coconut is low in carbs- anyone have insights??

239.8!! I love when I make goals and hit them I'd like to get to 238.8 by next Tuesday since that will put me at 25 lbs total lost.

Today:
rm: chicken fajita with veggies wrapped in tortilla, protein shake, chocolate dipped strawberries- I was sooooo fulll afterward
cm: 2 eggs, 1/2 a tomato
cm: BBQ chicken made with Walden (0 carb/cal) BBQ sauce , cauliflower
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 17:30

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Shushy - I have to agree with Melodyrose. Having my RM meal at breakfast helps tremendously with the cravings! I literally don't get hungry until about 2pm, then I'll have a late lunch or early dinner and I'm good for the day. Switching it up like that has helped me stick with the diet much easier.

Also, looking at your meals, keep in mind that the Heller's don't advocate their diet to be a low-carb diet (at least that's what they say in The Stress Eating Cure book). Yes, you are eating low carb for your CM meals but the RM meal should contain enough carbs to keep you satisfied and not craving, imho.

Melodyrose - Congrats, girl! At this rate, you are going to hit the 220s before I do! Great job!

Today:
RM B - Breakfast sandwich: mayo, fried egg, sliced deli ham, 1 entire bacon avocado smushed in there between 2 slices of sprouted bread, and browned the bread in a bit of coconut oil. Chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered almonds. Chai tea with cream & stevia.
L - 3 sausage links
D - tilapia with parm cheese & butter, mixed veg sauteed in coconut oil, kombucha

Today's meals were very filling and satisfying. I'm a happy camper!
  #198   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 19:04
Registered Member

Plan: SB / CALP
Stats: 289/259/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

I will have to think about it , I work full time and it is usually a very busy and rushed atmosphere , sometimes my lunch can sit on my desk for hours before it gets eaten or thrown away , i end up grazing throughout the afternoon a bite here and there , not so much with my little cm meals , but I cannot see the hour limit working for me at work , so it's either breakfast or supper , I originally liked the supper idea because I could eat desert , and it ends up being enough food so that I am not left wanting to snack if i watch a bit of tv at night .
If i do make it breakfast for most days , am i allowed to switch it up at times ?
during the week RM breakfast may work , but I would prefer an RM supper on the weekends .....

I really appreciate all your feedback , thank you so much !
  #199   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 19:06
Registered Member

BF:

today

cm- egg whites , bacon rashers with light havartu
cm-grilled chicken ceasar no croutons
RW- zucchini noodles , 1/2 cup spaghetti , homemade bolognaise with extra veg , 2 meatballs , 1/2 cup chocolate frozen yogurt
  #200   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 19:07
Registered Member

BF:

I would also like to know about the coconut , mmmm , i love coconut shrimp !
  #201   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 19:42

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I'm not seeing any response to my recipe posts (or most of my posts lately). Do folks want to see them here? If not, I'll just post them for the folks who read and respond to me in my journal.

I've either been sick, away at work, or had the computer on the fritz as excuses for not posting in the last week. I actually prefer your posts here to the forum as I have found I have a hard time navigating thru this and another low carb forum to find ppl's journals, blogs, etc. I say if it is CAD/CALP related post it The more the merrier and your sucess and troubles are my sucess and troubles. That is how I feel with everyone's posts as they really keep me going. In fact, I get bummed when I visit ANY of the 4 CAD/CALP forums I belong to and there is no new activity. For 2 I was the only poster for over a month before ppl started posting again

MIW
  #202   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 00:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushy
I will have to think about it , I work full time and it is usually a very busy and rushed atmosphere , sometimes my lunch can sit on my desk for hours before it gets eaten or thrown away , i end up grazing throughout the afternoon a bite here and there , not so much with my little cm meals , but I cannot see the hour limit working for me at work , so it's either breakfast or supper , I originally liked the supper idea because I could eat desert , and it ends up being enough food so that I am not left wanting to snack if i watch a bit of tv at night .
If i do make it breakfast for most days , am i allowed to switch it up at times ?
during the week RM breakfast may work , but I would prefer an RM supper on the weekends .....

I really appreciate all your feedback , thank you so much !

Hey shushy- I know how you feel about wanting to feel satisfied at night. I used to eat a huge meal at night but I prefer eating a cm now because I don't get heartburn, indigestion, etc. Also yes I eat breakfast for my rm but girl I still have dessert every day lol! My bfast sometimes is more like a dinner. But it just works for me- everyone is different maybe you can add another snack between bfast and lunch and see if that helps? Or eat larger meals. I don't typically Neely hungry between meals but it didn't happen right away.

Can't wait to weigh in tomorrow- I worked my butt off in the gym today!
  #203   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 08:25
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-

Pat, one of my best CALP friends made your cauliflower pizza crust and said it was so worth it- tasted just like a real crust! She is trying the cheese sticks next.

The tomato question: tomatoes are actually a fruit (?) and are high in sugar. That is why they are limited in CMs.

Switching RM times is discouraged, as according to the Hellers there is a diphasic insulin release and keeping carbs consistent you lower part of that insulin. I also find that I miss my carbs at RM dinner if I switch times and feeling deprived is NOT helpful.

The Hellers said a lot of things in the Stress Eating book but CAD and CALP and HFL ARE LOW CARB PLANS.
Not the lowest for sure, but carb controlled and related to insulin, ie LC.

Went out to Outback last nite- DH suggested it and said he didn't want me to cook (!). I had the 6 ounce outback special with a salad and broccoli. Carb was 1/2 of the loaf of brown bread with butter. DH added on a beer adn a baked potato to his bigger steak.

I am going out to lunch with friends for someone's birthday. I will not be having either a martini or birthday cake, but plan on a salad with salmon or crab cakes (no filler).

Wanted to stop in before my walk-
E
  #204   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 09:29

BF:

Glad you chimed in too, enormarb. I agree that it's best to keep the rm the same time every day. For me, breakfast works best because I like having my fruit in the morning. But everyone is different in what works for them!
New low- 239.4 Need to lose .6 by Monday to get to my goal for the week! I'm sure I will get there though that's what I love about this diet!
So on a side note, I have something cool that has happened. For years I have had psoriasis on my scalp- really bad. I've been lucky that it's covered by hair but it was actually preventing some of my hair in patches from growing. So since I started the plan, it has almost completely gone away- I think it must be related to something I was eating a lot more of before. Hmm...
I think if I hadn't done this plan before I would do CALP- but since I have made it to goal before 10 years ago doing it the way I am now, it's my comfort zone. I don't have cravings, lose consistently, and the majority of my loss seems to come from fat. I am in the sweet spot right now so I don't want to change that. I would definitely say that if someone is having slow loss or none at all and is trying CAD then CALP would be the way to go.
  #205   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 10:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyrose
Glad you chimed in too, enormarb. I agree that it's best to keep the rm the same time every day. For me, breakfast works best because I like having my fruit in the morning. But everyone is different in what works for them!
New low- 239.4 Need to lose .6 by Monday to get to my goal for the week! I'm sure I will get there though that's what I love about this diet!
So on a side note, I have something cool that has happened. For years I have had psoriasis on my scalp- really bad. I've been lucky that it's covered by hair but it was actually preventing some of my hair in patches from growing. So since I started the plan, it has almost completely gone away- I think it must be related to something I was eating a lot more of before. Hmm...
I think if I hadn't done this plan before I would do CALP- but since I have made it to goal before 10 years ago doing it the way I am now, it's my comfort zone. I don't have cravings, lose consistently, and the majority of my loss seems to come from fat. I am in the sweet spot right now so I don't want to change that. I would definitely say that if someone is having slow loss or none at all and is trying CAD then CALP would be the way to go.

I also have psoriasis on my scalp that came on after my son was born. It took a few years but one half of my head went into remission once I was able to get more sleep. I can't say I've noticed any change since November much but I notice my facial and arm hair that I wax is not growing in as much, and also I no longer have the urge to bite my nails at all which I also find interesting. I had a HUGE outbreak of acne the first week I started this WOE. I just know it is all hormonal and this woe really does change the body chemistry.

MIW
  #206   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 11:07
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

wow! AMazing changes!
I had mild-moderate Rosacia, and after about 6 months on theis WOL I noticed it was gone. I have been really clear for the last 9 years. I think the insulin is very pro-inflammatory (so do Drs Heller, Eades, Perricone, Hyman, Davis,.....) and reducing the insulin/carbs reduced inflammation in my body. I actually have proof of that as I have 12 years of CRP levels. Went WAY down once I started LC- actually the reason I started LC!
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 11:25

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb

The Hellers said a lot of things in the Stress Eating book but CAD and CALP and HFL ARE LOW CARB PLANS.
Not the lowest for sure, but carb controlled and related to insulin, ie LC.

Yes, they did say a lot in The Stress Eating Cure! I often refer to this since it's the most recent book they've written and it's been years since I've read CAD or CALP. I recommend everyone read it.

The term "low carb" has a very broad definition. Personally, for me, it means a ketogenic diet (like Atkins), but for others it's just a carb-controlled diet to induce weight loss. Again, in The Stress Eating Cure book, the Hellers re-enforce the idea that this diet merely limits the FREQUENCY of carbs and thus is not a low carb diet. There is also no 1/3 plate divide in this book like in CALP but just making sure you balance your proteins and carbs.

I was a big proponent of low carb (Atkins and Protein Power) for years and I specifically chose this diet as it was not low carb, at least by my definiton. I do need some carb-control but I did not want to do another low carb diet anymore.
  #208   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 12:04

BF:

I thought I would post my caloric intake the last couple of days since I get asked time to time from folks how much I eat and can I really eat this much and lose. These aren't the 2 most balanced days I've had. Also, some days I eat more and some days less but you get the idea:

Day 1- Wednesday, Feb 6th calories:

Breakfast:

1 C celery sticks 25 cal
1 boiled egg 78 cal
3 pc bacon 135 cal
Decaf american with 4 ounces cream 160 cal

Lunch:

Large salad 4 Cups 40 cal
2 oz cheese 160 cal
hamburger pattie 209 cal
3 TBSP salad dsg 210 cal

Dinner:

2 C tortilla chips 560 cal
3 oz mozerella cheese 240 cal
1/2 C nacho cheese sauce 244 cal
1 large costco cinnamon roll 460 cal
1 C sauteed cabbage in bacon grease 127 cal grease/36 cal cabbage

Daily Total: 2684 calories (I was 223lbs the day I ate this, then 221 the next after eating this food)

Day 2- Thursday, Feb 7th calories:

Breakfast:

Decaf americano with 4 ounce cream 160 cal
1 boiled egg 78 cal
3 pc bacon 135 cal
1 C sauteed cabbage in bacon grease 127 cal grease/36 cal cabbage

Lunch:

Hamburger pattie 209 cal
Large salad 4 Cups 40 cal
2 TBSP parmesan cheese 55 cal
3 TBSP Hidden Valley Ranch dressing 210 cal
5 slices diced hard salami 100 cal

Dinner:

1 C celery sticks 25 cal
5 hot wings 316 cal
1 C mashed potatoes 200 cal
2 buttermilk biscuits 180 cal
1 TBSP butter 100 cal
2 TBSP strawberry jam 100 cal
almond-chocolate bark 583 cal

Daily Total: 2654 calories (This day I was 221 lbs, as well as the next which is today, Friday Feb 8th)

MIW
  #209   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 12:54
Registered Member

BF:

makeitwork , you are losing even eating that many calories ???? that IS truly amazing , lol I am working so hard to stay within 1500 calories , eat low carb and still have a sweet at my evening meal , maybe I don't need to deprive myself so much !

today

cm- 1/3 cup egg whites , sauteed green pepper and ham , cheddar cheese

cm- smoke meat , melted light havarti , mustard , spicy dill pickle and snap peas

RM - I think it will be salad , half rack ribs , 1/2 a baked potato , steamed veggies and my all time favorite , an iced cupcake tht i made for my daughter's b-day
  #210   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 14:25

BF:

shushy- yes since November 1st. However there are days where I skip a CM. I even had one day one time where I only ate my morning CM, and didn't eat the rest of the day. Those don't happen very often but I listen to my body. The weight isn't flying off by any means (at least not as fast as the first 30 days) but I still eat in this realm of numbers. I have a lot of weight to lose and if I started out on starvation rations like what Weight Watchers or Jenny does, where would I have to whittle down too? I figure over time as I lose more, my body will require less food as well.

MIW
Closed Thread