Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Getting back to me
Success...Sweet Success!
Posted by danakins
Posted Thu, Jul-28-05
Female 5'7" in
Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Success...Sweet Success!

Don't you just love reading a Success Story? I do. I have been through these pages time and time again to motivate me toward my goal.

My success story is not one of those amazing stories where I lost all my weight quickly and easily or with a magic bullet. It has taken me almost two years and lots of hard work to take off 35 pounds. The journey has been long and took lots of turns along the way but, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I made it and you can too!

I am severly asthmatic and take several medications daily that typically cause people to gain weight! Between the medications, a stressful marriage and job and not being active, I found myself severly overweight and miserable at 36. I remember the day that I had finallly had enough. I had a company event that I needed to buy something to wear to and when I went shopping I found that even the size 14s were too tight. This meant that I was going to have to start shopping in the Plus size clothing stores. I was in tears and left the mall with nothing. I couldn't believe that I had let myself get to that point. Who was this person? It wasn't me...

When I was a teenager, my parents went on Atkins and so did the rest of the family. We all had success so, I decided I'd try that again. I lost eight pounds on Induction and then the loss ground to a screeching hault. I was pretty upset and it made matters worse that others were losing like crazy and the scale wouldn't budge for me. However, I kept plugging away, one pound at a time. After my husband left me about a year ago, my asthma immediately got better to the point that I could actually exrcise. Suddenly, the scale started moving again. Then it stopped for about three more months. A forum friend turned me on to the Fat Flush Plan and I lost another 11 pounds. There were stalls that lasted what seemed to be an eternity but, I stayed dedicated since I knew that this WAY OF LIFE works! I have had to change plans several times to continue the loss. Sometimes you have to shake things up to get the loss moving again!

Another key to my success is this forum. There is no way that I could have done this without the support of my family on this site. There is so much information at your disposal and great people to lift you up or give sound advice.

I'm happy to report that my asthma is better, I look better than I have in ages and wear a size 8 or 10. I still have some goals that I continue to strive toward but, I am thrilled with everything that I have accomplished to date.

Things that I have learned along the way:

1. Commit to losing the weight, no matter how long it takes! Losing weight isn't about a short term goal. It's about the long haul. No one can do this for you ....NO ONE!
2. Be willing to adjust what you are doing and don't compare your success/failure to someone's elses. We are all different! Some lose easier than others and some don't. The real thing that matters is what is right for you and your body.
3. Exercise! No matter how small...do something. In the beginning, I had asthma so bad that I couldn't exercise. I now exercise almost daily! I love the Walk Away the Pounds series by Leslie Sansone since I can do them in my home!
4. Don't stick to Induction levels forever or you WILL get bored and give up. Dr. Atkins did not intend for people to stay on 20g or less in Carbs forever. I eat about 80g of carbs (all good carbs) and still lose.
5. Variety is the key! Try new recipes. There is a treasure trove of information on this website. Use it!
6. Be honest with yourself and be open to the suggestions of others. Journalling is perfect for getting the support you need as well as being accountable to someone else about sticking to the plan. Take queues from those who have been there and done that.

I wish you all the best and success with your journey!

Danakins
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by Pinkster on Thu, Jul-28-05, 19:13

congrats on your acomplishment way to go

22 comments [read all comments]