Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 08:45

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Fuelling an IRONMAN the paleo/LCHF way

How Braden Currie fuels for IRONMAN and adventure races

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/braden-currie-nutrition

Quote:
Braden Currie grew up on a farm in Canterbury, New Zealand. As a result his diet was influenced by those surroundings. It was very much a staple of meat and veg. While it may not have at the time been seen as the best way to fuel for endurance athletes, ironically it now seems to be in fashion as a new-age nutrition approach. The approach these days centres around the paleo diet, and or a low-carb high-fat diet (LCHF). In some ways for Currie, he’s going back to his roots.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 10:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Call me suspicious, but he drinks "a strong sugar-free electrolyte called ELETE" and plain water? He just hangs out under the RedBull tents for fun?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 10:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

From a small farm perspective........

Meat and veg are the easiest to produce. Fruits and nuts are long term investments but are also important for winter storage, esp apples and hazelnuts here in New England.

Grains. These are much more labor intensive. I would plant more nut trees before attempting grains for personal use. Would be beneficial for feeding poultry like chickens and turkeys though in a free range situation.
We grew potatoes this year. Easier than grain for our use ( vs. for poultry). Dig, sort, box, stack, and store for 6 months or more.

ps. A couple varieties are noted for lower G.I. , but as we know they are still potatoes packed with carbs, as well as good vitamins and minerals.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 11:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Call me suspicious, but he drinks "a strong sugar-free electrolyte called ELETE" and plain water? He just hangs out under the RedBull tents for fun?

I didn't read much about the meat that he's eating, either. Just that he used to eat meat and veg, but not much in the meat department now.

If he's been through the metabolic lab at AUT then chances are he'll have worked with people close to Grant Schofield as that's his daytime base, and I'm sure he'll be better off not relying on carbs so heavily overall. But yeah, the article is posted on redbull.com, so you know, they'll get their mileage out of the story somehow.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 12:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

He talks about taking gels once a week in his training block, partly to help him deal with them on race day--so he's not saying he runs races on keto, more like he trains in keto, to increase his fat burning capacity (hopefully) and then adds in carbs on race day. So the red bull tent sort of fits in with that...

I was kicking around a mall hat had no coffee shops last week--maybe the only one in existence. I was getting my winter tires, there was a power out, so I was sort of stuck--I needed some source of caffeine so I got a sugar-free red bull. Tasted like Hawaiian punch and cigarettes. Humbug.