Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132.3/127.9/119
BF:
Progress: 33%
Angry I'm boycotting Boots!

Hi There

I have just started the Atkins diet again after falling off the bandwagon for a few months. First week on induction and I have lost about 5lbs so inspired to keep going!

Anyway, I went to buy some ketostix from Boots in High St Kensington (London) the other day and I was asked by some jumped up sales person what they were for - I replied 'I don't think that's any business of yours'. She then proceeded to tell me that she could not sell me ketostix unless it was because I was on medication!!!! I said I needed them to test if my body was in ketosis (she probably did not know what I was talking about!) - she ran off and checked with the pharmacist and came back to tell me that they did not have any in stock - which I suspect was not the truth! I was livid!!!

I have heard similar stories - Where do Boots staff get off telling us they can't sell us what is basically litmus paper on a stick because of a particular diet we may be following!!

I managed to get the stix at a Boots near my work with no questions asked - So much for company policy huh!

Needless to say, I wont be shopping at boots again except in emergency!

Anyone else had similar problems!

Jules
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 09:43

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

No, because I decided not to get them online! People who work in chemists act like they are consultant doctors sometimes. A friend bought some Imodium before going abroad. the woman started asking him about what he wanted it for etc.
The other set of shop workers who get on my nerves are the ones in children's shoe shops. They act like they are consultant foot paediatricians. (if such a thing exists!)

But to return to your post, what possible reason Boots, or any of its minions can have for objecting to ketostix. It beggars belief.

I tried to get an electric comb to kill headlice from Boots once, and was told they didn't sell them because they were not very effective. I said 'but you are selling those chemicals which you and I know do not work at all!' The guy had the grace to blush.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 13:48

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down Ketostix

What you have reported Jules seems to be the common line in many Boots, as I have read the same here. When I first started Atkins I went to my local Boots and got them without any problems. After my second lot I gave up buying them.

You might be interested in the following link to info on Ketosis I found in the GO-Diet, which I read last week. I have not seen it put so clearly before. Here is the link - Ketosis

I'm glad to hear you are back on the wagon, and so far things are looking good.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 15:19

Stats: 308/221/199 Female 63 inches
BF:ugh!
Progress: 80%

I had the same problem trying to buy Ketostix at Boots here in Linlithgow (scotland). The lassie at the till didnt know what i was talking about... she went through and got the chemist, who asked what i wanted them for. I told him to test for ketosis, and he said is it for a diet? I said yes, and he said "Boots wont let us sell them for that purpose".

Nevermind, there was another (independent) chemist further up the High Street, and i had no problem getting them there.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 09:47

Stats: 210/145/130
BF:dont wanna know
Progress: 81%
Default No probs with Ketostix

That's so interesting that you guys have had so many probs attaining these strips; I've been lcing in Scotland for over a year and NEVER had a problem.

Any MOSS Chemists has always been able to provide them for me immediately, or if out of stock, will order them for the next day- no questions asked. That is very unprofessional of Boots staff, I'm surprised.

Maybe ordering online is the best solution- it's ridiculous when you think that in the States they sell Ketostix at places like Target, Wallmart (ASDA type) right on the shelf, with several different brands to choose from!

Kellie
210/144/130
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 03:42

Stats: 200/200/154
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool ketostix

I had heard that Boots give problems to us, so I decided on the following tactic:

I went in on a busy Saturday morningand was asked by the girl behind the counter why i needed them. I replied, why do you think I need them.

After getting her reply of 'we can't sell them to you if you are on a diet' I replied that I needed them to check my urine on a daily basis and that i was not in the habit of peeing in a bottle for fun and I was not into urinology.

I got them but as a parting gesture I asked her 'if I came in for condoms, would she have asked me what I wanted them for'?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 23:11

Plan: Radiant health
Stats: 210/168/150
BF:
Progress: 70%

Is it not amusing that certain outlets will not sell you Ketostix on health grounds, but will quite happily sell you a case of drinks loaded with aspartame and all
its bad points !

JD
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 23:59
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Boy thats crazy

Here the sell on the shelf at walmart or behind the counter at drugstore but I doubt they even care why

Next time say "I am diabetic and need to check if I am in ketoacidosis" That is a health reason people may use those sticks.

Really none of their business as it is not a medication, not even topical

Bye YA