Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 18:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/137/130
BF:
Progress: 56%
Question "cracker" crumbs

Hi,

I read that some of you are using crushed pork rinds as breading or even ground rinds as flour (for pancakes even!). Has anyone tried using the cheese "crackers" - (you know, the microwaved cheese- see Teridoodle's entry about Crispy Cheese Crackers) crushed up for breading.
I think I might try it this weekend on chicken or pork - and bake it like "Oven Fry".

Thanks for any comments!

CKX4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 12:05
Registered Member

Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default cracker crumbs

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the cheese will re melt, which wouldn't be all bad, but I don't think it will give you the crunchy breading you are looking for.
Maybe a mixture of the two would work.

Good luck
Carolyn
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 17:27
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

you may be pushing it with the re-crisp-a-fied cheese. I think I would stick with the pork rinds-
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 19:38

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default faux-breading

Let me know if it works, I've been meaning to try some breaded recipes. If the cheese is cooked to a crisp once, it won't re-melt. It's like cooking nachos in the oven, you know how the cheese gets really crispy, browned and delish? mm, mmmm. Sounds like a winner to me. I like Red's idea of mixing the two.....

SJ
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 14:24

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default Cheese Breading

I grate or buy grated romano and parmesan cheese. then flavor the cheese with basil and oregano and black pepper for italian style. then i dip the thing (chicken breast or veggie) in egg and cream. the dip the item into the cheese. then fry in 1/4 cup olive oil with 2 tbsp butter.

i put them on waxed paper and let them sit for a few hours in teh fridge, it makes the coating stay on better during the fry. these cutlets and veggies come out better than breaded, crispy and cheesy. better than pork rinds too.

i don't know if anyone does this but this makes the best parmesan breading.

carbs have to be counted - 1 carb for every 2 oz cheese you use.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:27

BF:

Hello Again,

This is pretty good - my husband really like it!

Just as a trial I took one boneless chicken breast (I like to pound them lightly) coated it with mayonaise then salted and peppered it. I made crumbs from 1 slice of Kraft Deli Delux American Cheese (quartered and nuked for about 1.5 minutes) and coated the chicken with the crumbs.

I baked it in my toaster oven at 400 degees for about 20 minutes.

It does not come out crunchy - nor does it get crucnhier when cooled but it tastes really good. My husband said he like it much better than real "Oven Fry". I suspect the mayonaise could be doctored to alter the flavor (maybe add a little mustard or your favorite spices). The chicken does not have to be pounded of course, and certainly you can make as much as you need in a regular oven. Just use about 1 slice of cheese per piece and adjust the cooking time
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 13:01

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default crumbs?

Just wondering how you make cheese into crumbs. I'd like to try this recipe, it sounds yummy!

SJ
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:06

BF:

Good Afternoon!

To make cheese into cracker crumbs...

Hopefully you have seen the other posts about "cheese crackers" if you haven't, you are missing out!

Just take a slice of American cheese, cut it into quarters. Place on a piece of parchment paper that has been sprayed with PAM. cook it in the microwave for about 1 to 1.5 minutes. The cheese puffs up a little then browns. Remove from microwave and let cool for a minute - voila - "cheese crackers". Slices of cheese cooked whole and not so crunchy work as bread to make sandwiches!

Supposedly you can use Saran wrap but my friends say that does not work as well. A PAMed plate - if it is really flat - might also work. I have these Dupont telfon baking liners that are fabulous. The point is that the surface must be completely nonstick or you won't be able to get the cheese off.

Anyway, once the crackers are cool, put them into a ziplock baggie and crush with a rolling pin.

I have read where it works with other types of cheese but I have not had much luck with any other that I have tried. check the Carbs on the cheese, different brands vary. Kraft Deli Delux =<1/slice.

Hope you like it - let me know.

CKX4