Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/122/117 Female 5'6"
BF:23%
Progress: 78%
Default Scottish Porridge Oats

Having read a while back that the Scots old-timers ate their oats as a savoury, with salt and a bit of fat, and sweets not appealing to me in the morning anyway, I decided to try it their way.

It's delicious! I use Tesco's Finest Scottish 100% Wholegrain oats or Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Jumbo Whole Rolled Porridge Oats. Either kind is delicious.

Method:

1/2 cup oats
4 cups cold water
1-2 tablespoons chopped crispy bacon
salt
generous knob of butter

Put 4 cups water in medium sauce pan, bring to the boil, add salt, bacon and butter.

Heat a small dry skillet to smoking, add oats and toss quickly to toast. The oats will begin to release a nutty aroma. Pour into the boiling water.

Cook 10-15 minutes until oats have absorbed water, stirring as needed.
You'll note that this is four times the amount of water called for on the bag or box. It makes a creamy, slightly chewy porridge. For more texture, use less water.

Pour into a warmed bowl (micro good for warming), add a sliver of butter on top of the oats and surround with heavy cream.

Forget the maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, etc. etc.

This is the best bowl of oatmeal I've ever tasted--had a bowl this morning. The bacon adds wonderful flavour, aroma and texture.

The old-timers were right about not adding sugar. I've also read that they sliced cold porridge that had cooled and "set" and fried the slices in bacon fat. That also sounds delicious, but have never tried it.

Tried this on DH, he now prefers his oats savoury, not sweet.

I checked my glycemic level this afternoon with a ketostick--dark purple!

Enjoy!

ps. do NOT use oatmeal, instant oatmeal, flavoured oatmeal in little packets, etc. it must be whole oats.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 09:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 294/294/150 Male 5ft 8inches
BF:
Progress:

Would this not be very very carby??
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 15:43
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canky
Would this not be very very carby??

Yes, it is pretty carby. And if you are doing Atkins, bear in mind that grains should not be added until you are in the last, or 9th, rung of the "carbohydrate ladder" in OWL. In fact, many folk find they can never add back grains.

The other thing to note is that Wye has very little weight to lose, and therefore might easily be able to start the day with a bigger carb load than some of us.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 14:33
Registered Member

A half cup serving, according to the information on the box, has 28 g of carbohydrates, 4.5 g fiber, 5.5 g protein, 4.1 g of fat.

Whole oats are a slow-release food, and as such cause very little spike in blood sugar.

The addition of the bacon and butter, instead of sugar or syrup, also keep a lid on blood sugar.

As I posted above, I tested my ketosis in the afternoon, the stick was dark purple.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 16:36
Registered Member

This would only be considered a "treat" breakfast, I do it no more than once a month.

Thanks for saying I have very little weight to lose! Sure feels like a lot when I'm trying to lose it.

Mainly wanted to get the idea of non-sugary oat meal out there.

It's delicious cooked with bacon!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 03:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 294/294/150 Male 5ft 8inches
BF:
Progress:

It's cool. Just had drummed it into myself so much that carbs are the enemy that this sent alarm bells ringing. I do not have to much to lose myself either. Lost 10st 8lbs on VLCD and now low carbing to lose the last 2 stone in a slow controlled way.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 10:39
Registered Member

are you in the UK, Canky?

If so, you can pick up good Scottish porridge oats easily! And with your wonderful couble cream would really be a treat

I bring Tesco's and Sainsbury's oats back to the US in my luggage! Creams too!

!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-09, 12:55
Registered Member

Coincidentally this came in a South Beach email this morning:

"5 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Oatmeal
Looking for a healthy breakfast that will warm you up on a cold morning? Oatmeal has long been a breakfast favorite, and it's a great choice for people in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet — as long as you choose the right kind (not all oatmeal is created equal).

Dr. Agatston, leading preventive cardiologist and author of The South Beach Diet Supercharged, recommends steel-cut oats and rolled or old-fashioned, slow-cooking oats because these varieties have been minimally processed and will help keep blood sugar levels steady.

Plus, studies have linked eating whole grains to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure. Instant oatmeal has been rolled and cut more during processing and thus cooks and digests more quickly than the recommended varieties. It's also important to select hot cereals — including oatmeal — with at least 3 grams of fiber and no more than 2 grams of sugar per serving."

I know not everyone is on SB, including me, but I did think it was interesting.