Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-13, 23:46
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%
Talking Ladies in their 50's ???

I really want to connect with other ladies in their 50's. I'm just back to low-carbing at age 57. I should have stuck with my inner voice even though so many told me low-carb was bad for me.
I'm so committed to this. I will be starting fresh with Atkins induction on Nov 3rd or 4th. I've been preparing myself for the last week. I think this is truly do or die for me.
No one I know is into low carb so I'm hoping to make connections here to talk.
All the people I sued to talk with several years ago seem to be gone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 20:55

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

I just turned 54, and went on Atkins in Dec 2012. I have lost about 20 lbs. It is much harder now for me to drop weight than it was previously. I just got a wisdom tooth out on Thursday and off the painkillers. I am still on antibiotics, which I think are causing me to retain fluid. Anyway, the Fat Fast has worked for me, I was down to 165, but am sitting at 168 now. Fat Fast is really the only way. I would love to get down to 150 lbs, but this might not be possible.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 21:06

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka
I just turned 54, and went on Atkins in Dec 2012. I have lost about 20 lbs. It is much harder now for me to drop weight than it was previously. I just got a wisdom tooth out on Thursday and off the painkillers. I am still on antibiotics, which I think are causing me to retain fluid. Anyway, the Fat Fast has worked for me, I was down to 165, but am sitting at 168 now. Fat Fast is really the only way. I would love to get down to 150 lbs, but this might not be possible.

Hi Mintaka ( I remember your star name from another post awhile back!)
So sorry to hear about the tooth - I hope it heals fast for you. I am at 168 right now as well.
Kat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-13, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl R
I really want to connect with other ladies in their 50's. I'm just back to low-carbing at age 57. I should have stuck with my inner voice even though so many told me low-carb was bad for me.
I'm so committed to this. I will be starting fresh with Atkins induction on Nov 3rd or 4th. I've been preparing myself for the last week. I think this is truly do or die for me.
No one I know is into low carb so I'm hoping to make connections here to talk.
All the people I sued to talk with several years ago seem to be gone.

Hi Cheryl
You are in NorCal too, I see I am in my 50s as well and struggling with a lot of things but am committed to doing some form of low carb and losing this excess weight. I am facing two knee surgeries in Jan and Feb and really would like to focus and stop struggling with food.
It would be nice to support each other. Good for you for preparing and getting ready to do this.
Kat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 00:42
Living LaVita LoCarb

YAY. Glad there are a few of us who can support each other.
Kat, I'm not far from you at all. I'm actually in Fairfield, I like writing Benicia because it's my true home. I have a nephew in Placerville; beautiful country up there.
Mintaka.. ouch. Take care of yourself. Hopefully you will feel better soon.
Tomorrow (20 minutes from now) I'm turning 57. I want to have the some of this weight off before my 2nd grandchild gets here in May. But I'm just looking at the first 15 pounds for now.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 01:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 199.0/179/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:46.8
Progress: 25%

Hiya!
I am 53 and live in Australia, I would love to be able to chat with some over 50s.
i think it's great that we can support each other through this, it can be a bit of a minefield at times!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 13:47

Default !

Quote:
YAY. Glad there are a few of us who can support each other.
Kat, I'm not far from you at all. I'm actually in Fairfield, I like writing Benicia because it's my true home. I have a nephew in Placerville; beautiful country up there.
Mintaka.. ouch. Take care of yourself. Hopefully you will feel better soon.
Tomorrow (20 minutes from now) I'm turning 57. I want to have the some of this weight off before my 2nd grandchild gets here in May. But I'm just looking at the first 15 pounds for now.

Happy Birthday!
Right, Fairfield isn't far. I am in Cameron Park. I have two knee replacements coming up in Jan and Feb and would like to make some significant progress before then. Oh, I have to say that reading your plan title on your information was coinciding with a book I am reading right now - I am reading the chapter on insulin resistance - which I am realizing is what part of the problem is with my body and repeated failures at sticking with any plan. Serendipitous that I saw that term on your info.
Welcome everybody, Gilly, the other Kat and Macca!
Kat

Last edited by mviesprite : Sat, Nov-02-13 at 13:55.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 07:21
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Hi. Another Kat here. 53 and low carbing since August 2003. It's a struggle but it is getting easier, especially now that my husband is now eating mostly low carb.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 11:27

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 265/203/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 69%

New to posting here, but long-time lurker. I have re-committed myself to low-carbing (after many years on and off) after I ran into health problems this summer. I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but got right back on each time. It has not been easy, but I am starting to feel better than I have in a loooong time. I didn't think the weight would come off this fast since I've entered the 50's, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It would be very helpful to share this journey with other women who understand this WOE. Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-13, 18:30
Living LaVita LoCarb

Hi everyone...
Welcome new ladies... I'm glad you are all here!!!
I started my first day of Atkins induction; I will be following a different plan after a few weeks.
Kat.... Insulin resistance plan I have listed as my plan is actually from a book called Insulin Resistance I think the authors name is Cheryl Hart (same first name as me).
So I'm starting over today; completely starting over. I probably should have started last week but I just had to get thru 3 events in my life first. I don't regret waiting because I've done a lot of reading and thinking to get my head into it so I can have success.
I see something new called myplan can someone tell me about that. Can someone tell me what that is.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 21:48

Quote:
Hi everyone...

Kat.... Insulin resistance plan I have listed as my plan is actually from a book called Insulin Resistance I think the authors name is Cheryl Hart (same first name as me).
So I'm starting over today; completely starting over. I probably should have started last week but I just had to get thru 3 events in my life first. I don't regret waiting because I've done a lot of reading and thinking to get my head into it so I can have success.

Thanks Cheryl - I'll have to look for that book. I'd like to read it. I know if I had kept going with the sugar thing I'd be diabetic today, I'm sure.

I think it's good that you knew when to give yourself the best start - and wrapping your head around it in preparation is a good thing too. I am doing that very thing with CALP - I want to try it but am not quite there yet. I will keep my Somersizing rules intact though - I love that plan too.

Hi Jo! Aw, you can come play with us Hi Nancy!
Kat
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 01:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm too young to comment then lol - I'm 49 and three quarters!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been low carbing for nearly 11 years, with a short gap of a year when I thought it would be alright to have a few high carb bits and pieces - WRONG!! Arthritis, IBS, eczema all came back, as did 20lbs! So I quickly went back to Atkins induction and its all gone again. I'll never touch wheat or sugar again, its not worth the pain or the addiction.

The more I read just lately, the more I realise that wheat and sugar are bad and that good old saturated fat is good! I knew that anyway from my own experience.

Jo xxx
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 01:13
Living LaVita LoCarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I'm too young to comment then lol - I'm 49 and three quarters!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been low carbing for nearly 11 years, with a short gap of a year when I thought it would be alright to have a few high carb bits and pieces - WRONG!! Arthritis, IBS, eczema all came back, as did 20lbs! So I quickly went back to Atkins induction and its all gone again. I'll never touch wheat or sugar again, its not worth the pain or the addiction.

The more I read just lately, the more I realise that wheat and sugar are bad and that good old saturated fat is good! I knew that anyway from my own experience.

Jo xxx

Wow Jo, so your eczema went away while low-carbing... that would be nice, looking forward to seeing if that will happen for me. I did notice in the past that my IBS and other intestinal issues got so much better and yes, even the achy joints. I've heard recently that my perpetual sinus infection might actually go away too. My eczema comes and goes, so I don't know if it went away with low carbing last time.

Thank you all for joining in this group. I think we will all be able to help each other through the hurdles.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 09:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 265/203/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Wow Jo, so your eczema went away while low-carbing... that would be nice, looking forward to seeing if that will happen for me. I did notice in the past that my IBS and other intestinal issues got so much better and yes, even the achy joints. I've heard recently that my perpetual sinus infection might actually go away too. My eczema comes and goes, so I don't know if it went away with low carbing last time.

I just wanted to say my long-time sinus issues have disappeared these last few months, as well as needing to take daily allergy medication for itchy skin (where I would literally scratch my hands and feet till they were sore and bleeding). My diabetes is under control as well as my blood pressure.

Now, I still have some health issues, but I can only imagine feeling even better than I do now even a few more months down the road.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:

Thank you all for joining in this group. I think we will all be able to help each other through the hurdles.

I used to get little white, crusty, incredibly itchy patches all over my skin, especially on my face (typical), shoulders, upper arms and legs. They were round and about a centimentre in diameter, each should and upper arm would have four or five. My doctor thought it might be ring worm at first, but eventually settled on eczema. Interestingly, my teenage daughter gets them - she's not low carbing. I also used to get an allergic reaction to cheap ear rings, deodorant and perfume. For some reason that stopped too??