Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-09, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I tried the wine thing, didn't work for me.

Ok, two mornings now in the 80s. I'm exercising every day. Just 5-10 minutes on my mini-trampoline. I think this might be the key for me.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 08:44
Experimenter

BF:

80 this morning, I even had two squares of rather sugary chocolate yesterday! Did 5 minutes on the mini-trampoline. Still taking Vanadyl and Gymnema
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 14:20

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
80 this morning, I even had two squares of rather sugary chocolate yesterday! Did 5 minutes on the mini-trampoline. Still taking Vanadyl and Gymnema

My sugar was all over the place today. I drank a glass of wine last night and this morning at five AM my sugar was 104. Had a cup of coffee and went back to bed until seven and then I took it and it was 96. took two fish oil capsules with a glass of water and took it an hour after that and it was 116.

I did eat some extra carbs yesterday that I don't normally eat but I didn't think it would have been enough to keep it that high. I'm not going to test tomorrow morning but will test tomorrow night before I go to bed and then test the following morning.

I am taking no supplements at all right now for this problem. I thought maybe it was high because I haven't taken any of the siliphos in over a week but I remember it was in the eighties last saturday after having a glass of wine so that is probably not it.

Nancy do you think it's gym/van that is doing it for you?
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 14:31

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I am taking no supplements at all right now for this problem.

What problem? I think a normal person has normal fluctuations that sound about like you just described.

I don't know if its a problem, but you drank coffee and went back to bed....

#50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 14:34

BF:

Okay well that's good to know. I guess I'm just paranoid. I'm as obsessed over this diabetes thing with the glucose numbers as I was about my weight in my twenties and thirties. That's why I try to not test all the time. But when I wake up with numbers in the 80's it feels the same as when the scales would say 105lbs
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 15:55
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
Nancy do you think it's gym/van that is doing it for you?

I tend to believe it is the exercise. I was taking the supplements before I restarted exercising and didn't see any change until I added in the exercise. I suppose it could be all three. At some point I'll stop the supplements and continue the exercising and see what happens.

Maybe my trampoline is magical?
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Apr-01-09, 18:09

BF:

Quote:
I tend to believe it is the exercise. I was taking the supplements before I restarted exercising and didn't see any change until I added in the exercise. I suppose it could be all three. At some point I'll stop the supplements and continue the exercising and see what happens.

Maybe my trampoline is magical?

Well sadly the exercise doesn't always help me. I think it does help type II's who are overweight. Makes them less insulin resistant. But I have been an avid regular exerciser for fifteen years and it hasnt' stopped my sugar from going up. I don't lift as heavy as I used to because of achey joints but I still go for two or three mile walks 3-4 days a week and still go to step aerobics two days a week. AND I still do some resistance exercises with light weights, body weight (pushups etc) and bands. I also do T-Tapp.

I have a rebounder out in the garage. I should probably bring it in and start jumping on it. I have a friend who is NOT diabetic but sometimes when she eats something decadent her numbers will rise close to 140 and getting on the rebounder for ten minutes will bring hers down to normal...around 100.

I'm not saying exercise doesn't help. But it doesn't help by itself. I have to eat very low carb and also take a supplement or drink the wine. All three of these have to be together for me to get anything below 100.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 18:34

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I have never had a under 100 in the AM, for 36 yr.
I am always between 123-150. I have tried everything. I have been exercising and have found if I do it at night, my BS in the Am is higher. If I exercise in the AM it goes up. I am going to fight this stupid disease. I am being good with LC, have lost 4lbs and 1 inch on my waist in a week. So maybe my body is just freaking out.
I have to say, my daughter had a Fasting Glucose of 104. Her Dr. said its nonsence do believe she is going ot be a diabetic. She said this hole change in the system with BS and BP is just making more people dependent on drugs that they really don't need. I believe her.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 18:49
Experimenter

BF:

Well, apparently the lower your FBG the longer you're likely to live. Maybe there's a lot of insulin resistant folks that never make it to full blown type 2. I think I was one of the IR folks. It might not be diabetes but I don't think it's normal or optimal.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...gar-hypothesis/
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 19:07

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hismouse
I have never had a under 100 in the AM, for 36 yr.
I am always between 123-150. I have tried everything. I have been exercising and have found if I do it at night, my BS in the Am is higher. If I exercise in the AM it goes up. I am going to fight this stupid disease. I am being good with LC, have lost 4lbs and 1 inch on my waist in a week. So maybe my body is just freaking out.
I have to say, my daughter had a Fasting Glucose of 104. Her Dr. said its nonsence do believe she is going ot be a diabetic. She said this hole change in the system with BS and BP is just making more people dependent on drugs that they really don't need. I believe her.

I believe you're diabetic and I know you know that...

As for your daughter, I believe time will tell. If she isn't, the higher her FBG is, the higher risk she is of developing diabetes. If she trully doesn't want to mess with dependency on drugs, it is a lot easier to do something about that now than later. There are many foods that help lower blood sugar and with the depletion of mineral in our soil and the depletion of vitamins in our food due to processing, I think it might be prudent to conisder supplements when in a higher risk category.....

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan, especially when it comes to our health and when we get angry about it, the medical establishment is an obvious target for our frustrations. Believe me, I don't trust Doctors or western medicine to solve my health problems, but I got myself into my mess and I am responsible to get myself out of it too...

anyway, I'm starting to sound like I'm ranting, but what I'm trying to do is let you let your daughter know time is not her side and getting tighter control on blood sugar now can only increase her present health and possibly prevent a future of bad health. Diabetes is like a plague that won't completely go away and most of us who are fighting this fight would agree, with me: I wish I'd started learning about this and doing something about this a much longer time ago.

Here's a rant:
For me, I would like to go back and choke that first Doctor who told me "you are borderline diabetic"... I had an FBG of 128 and he said I was borderline and only needed to adjust my diet a little and gave me an ADA pamphlet to take home.... GRRRRRRRRR!! He suckered me into several wasted years of not paying attention.

I hope your daughter doesn't look back in years to come and hate that Doctor that told her what you just wrote about............. History does repeat itself....
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 09:15
Experimenter

BF:

Well things are still doing well for me. Had a reading of 82 this morning. I have seen some in the low-mid 90's but nothing over 100 for quite awhile now. I'm still exercising a bit every day (5-10 minutes on the trampoline) and still taking the Vanadyl and Gymnema.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 10:00

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Well things are still doing well for me. Had a reading of 82 this morning. I have seen some in the low-mid 90's but nothing over 100 for quite awhile now. I'm still exercising a bit every day (5-10 minutes on the trampoline) and still taking the Vanadyl and Gymnema.

Nancy, could you try without exercising? Because I'm having also great numbers, still some weird fluctuations but never beyond 8 or below 4, and I'm not exercising at all.

There you should know if the vanadyl sulfate - Gymmena combo is helping.

Are you experiencing the side effects of the vanadyl sulfate?
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 10:10
Experimenter

BF:

I did that experiment and my numbers went up. But I also read the supplements take about a month to kick in too and I hadn't been on them that long. Since I find it hard to get back to exercising once I quit, I would rather not take that approach. But take the approach of stopping the supplements and seeing if everything holds steady.

Anyway, I'm a little patchy about taking the supps. I try to take the Van every other day and 2 Gym everyday, in the evening, but I forget the Gym fairly often.

Quote:
Are you experiencing the side effects of the vanadyl sulfate?

Side-effects? Hmm... don't recall seeing any. I'll have to look them up.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:17
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, had a reading of 100 today. Sad about that but it's the first high reading I've had in ages!

I'm going to try something else too, changing my diet around so I have less protein, more fat and a little higher carb (currently eating < 20 net, I'll raise that to 35 net). My protein will be limited to < 67g per day.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-09, 10:39

Plan: paleo
Stats: 134/143/154 Male 183cm
BF:
Progress:

Nancy, 100 is normal, and with the meter accuracy it could mean anything from 90 to 110. Relax and look at the bigger picture, if you have constantly good readings and a good HbA1c, you have nothing to worry about, I guess that the fasting numbers that are given as normal are a median approach, even non diabetics could have under some circumstances "high" fasting numbers.

Since digestion usually takes 48 hours, again, this is also a standarized assumption, everything that you ate the last 2 days could have an impact on your BG levels.

I guess that if you would like to have a real fasting test, you shouldn't eat anything and only drink water for 3 days and then measure.

You're doing great, don't worry too much