Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 13:01

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%
Default Looking for agreement

I did the 3 hour home test from Blood sugar 101.

7:30 am Fasting BG 6.5
Took 5Tbs pancake syrup (1 Tbs=14.6 grams) in 300 ml water (first ingredient glucose)
Set timer for 1 hour

BG came out at 11.4 started timer again 1 hr

BG came out at 4.9 started time for the last reading 1hr

BG came out 3.6 Was feeling very sick by this time.

My paramedic son showed up about this time and fed me crackers. (gave me heck too) LOL Hey he's the one who gave me the meter. According to Blood sugar 101, A reading 11.1 or higher means Diabetes.

I Called and got a Doctors appointment Pretty quick. I just have to wait till May 04. That's real quick. So am I correct in assuming those BG readings mean diabetes?

Diane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress
I did the 3 hour home test from Blood sugar 101.

7:30 am Fasting BG 6.5
Took 5Tbs pancake syrup (1 Tbs=14.6 grams) in 300 ml water (first ingredient glucose) Set timer for 1 hour

BG came out at 11.4 started timer again 1 hr. So am I correct in assuming those BG readings mean diabetes?

Diane - from www.bloodsugar101.com:

"If your blood sugar went over 200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/L) at any time you tested, you just registered a diabetic blood sugar level and should consult with a doctor as soon as possible. Two random tests results of 200 mg/dl are considered diagnostic of diabetes according to the Diagnostic Criteria for Diabetes Mellitus published by the highly conservative American Diabetes Association."

Sounds like you should test yourself again in a week or so while waiting to see the doctor to confirm (or not) the same high number before you'll know definitively. But even if so, there's a lot you can do immediately to start working on this problem, and that site has crucial information. You might also want to read the Dr. Kwasniewski thread under General Low-Carb to see if you might be one of those people for whom a LC/ HIGH Protein diet is not very good in regards to insulin resistance.

Best of luck!

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 15:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you've been low carb leading up to this test then it's probably badly skewed. Dr. Atkins recommended eating a minimum off 100g of carbs daily for 3-4 days before doing a GTT. It takes awhile for your body to gear up to handle carbs again.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-13-09, 20:24

Thanks Awriter

I will do another in about a week to check. This whole month is a write off with the low carb. Amazing how much fat comes back so quickly is such a short time

Thanks Nancy LC
I went to the Doctors beginning of the month and wanted me to do a fasting BG.(I haven't heard anything back yet) I know Dr A wrote about Carbing up before, so I started eating the Sad way. 4 days later I went in at 7:30 am (started fasting 6:30 pm night before) for the blood work. Now I am all carbed up my son decides that I need a glucometer. He tells me outright he thinks I'm Diabetic so to prove him wrong I pick a day to do the Informal GTT. I continued to eat carby then fasted the night before, then figured out what I was going use to get my 70gms of sugar. Aunt Jemima pancake syrup first ingredient glucose 1 tbs= 14.6 gm
Well that test just proved him right and me needing help.
I can hardly wait to get back to low carbing cause I feel like ****. At least Hubby is going to stop bugging me(and daughter) about low carb.
Diane
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 10:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Good Luck Diane.

It sure sounds like you are diabetic and quite frankly you don't need a Doctor to tell you that, but you need a good doctor that will work with you.

I see you are dropping weight; great.

I finally am dropping weight.

Getting the weight off will be a huge help to both you and me.

Meanwhile low carbing is essential.

Generally, I keep my carb intake between 30-60 sometimes as high as a 100.

Right now I am a bit higher following a controlled restricted calorie program. There is about 100-150 carbs in it but since I am at a calorie intake of 1200-1500 I am dropping weight and my BG is easily controlled.

In fact, my basal need of insulin has dropped off significantly and I no longer need my bolud insulin. I am type 2 so I am managing on my own quite well not exceeding the 120-130 readings after meals and getting back down to 100 under or less.

Ralph
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 17:02

Well It's official. Dr told me to consider my self a Diabetic. She wants me to do the the Diet and exercise thing and come back for more testing. The diet is a joke eat more starches, fruits and vegetables, just cut back on the salt, sugar bowl, watch your fats, eat lean meats. Nope not for me I picked up the Diabetes Diet by Dr Richard K. Bernstein. I'll follow his advice as for foods and carb levels. We'll see how my BG levels go.
The exercise part is easy my new job has me walking all day and it's Turkey/bear/ fishing season and I'll be in the woods hauling stuff in or out. I also signed up at a gym so I can get at the free weights.

Diane
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 00:29

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Huntress - reading your posts and wanted to say I am sorry you got the official news. Are they starting you on Metformin? It has finally helped with my weight loss. I had to switch to the brand name Glucophage due to major stomach upset.

I'd say "Welcome to the club" but I am sure this is one club you wish you didn't have to join. At least you know now so you can prevent the complications.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-06-09, 19:10

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Looking for agreement

I agree.....
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 06:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

The important thing is you are here and can learn how to control this disease early before it does any damage to your vital organs, eyes, feet, etc.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-11-09, 16:21

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Diane I see you have been gone since 06, wow time lost, where have you been? Welcome back and visit your journal its lonely without you Debbie