Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/132/118
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy quitting smoking and weight gain

I am having trouble losing weight despite my low-carbing efforts. I am losing but very very slowly. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I am one of those who has never and will never get the added incentive of initial rapid weight loss on this diet.

Not only do I wish to lose weight but I also desperately want to quit smoking in my quest for a healthy lifestyle. I am finally ready and determined to do it and nothing will soften my resolve. However I am terrified of the weight gain and would welcome any advice to avoid this.

Do we have any low-carbers out there who have been able to avoid gaining weight whilst quitting smoking? If so, what can you suggest to help?

I will be starting on Zyban to help me quit as I have a number of friends who have been successful in quitting with Zyban, unlike their previous attempts with patches, gum, hypnotherapy, etc, the list goes on!

As I understand it, Zyban was originally prescribed as an anti-depressant before it was discovered that it curbs nicotine cravings. A common side-effect of anti-depression drugs is weight gain and fluid retention. I cannot seem to find any information as to whether this is also true for Zyban. The possible side-effects listed for Zyban include, dry mouth, insomnia, nausea and hyperactivity and whilst these do not sound like they might encourage weight gain I simply cannot help but to be wary.

Has anyone had any experience with Zyban and did it cause any increase in weight gain?

Other quit smoking techniques (and I think I've tried 'em all) have not been of help to me so Zyban is the way I am going to go. And as I have said I am determined to do this, so the weight gain is not an issue that will stop me. Please, please no responses along the lines that the health benefits of quitting will far outweigh any increases in weight. I know this and rather than needing encouragement, I really, really need any help anyone can give me in terms of avoiding additional weight gain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 09:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Congrats on the decision, Lisa. I know its not easy. I know this because I quit two weeks ago. Take heart though; LCing will actually work better for you after you quit. Smoking increases insulin insensitivity, quitting increases sensitivity. While you're body may suffer from a brief metabolic slow down as you cease (roughly 10%) it will pick up. I noticed a slow down in loss the first week but it's back up to 2 lbs a week now. I have also started taking a thermogenic to boost my body temp and increase my metabolism. Note: you cannot take such a supplement while taking any prescription drugs, especially anti - depressants.

All this to say that LCing is perhaps the best WOE on which to quit smoking and maintain fat loss. Here's some info the Eades (protein power) have on smoking and LC .

And don't worry about how slowly you're losing, Lisa. You don't have much weight to go until you're at goal. It typically takes longer for those in your position. But slow losers are still losers. Think in terms of percentages; once you've lost 4 more pounds you'll be 50% of the way to goal. Why not update your profile to see the percentage icon move?

Best of luck to you!
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I quit smoking 5 days a go and was worried about gaining weight too. Then I realized that a few pounds would not kill me, but smoking would if I kept going. And, because I knew that smoking caused insulin to rise, I knew my metabolism would be better off in the long run.

Days 1, 2 and 3 were munch filled, but day 4 was easy in that deptartment. In the same way I let my cravings for smoking go away, I'm learning to let the cravings for food to go away. I have some cinnamon sticks to chew on as well. I heard this years ago, and it's always stuck with me - Your craving for a cigarette will go away whether you have one or not. I used that phrase for avoiding sweets when I first was on this WOE and it can be used to avoid the munchies as well.

At least if you munch, you're going to be low-carb munching which is a heck of a lot better than high carb munching.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 11:24

BF:

Just think of all the money we're saving, Karen. I'm saving up for a huge bag of macadamia nuts

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 11:37
Forum Founder

BF:

Yep! $400.00 a month that could buy me a real smart outfit at Holt Renfrew!

Only another nicotine addict would understand this, but when I figured out my budget for buying a house, I figured cigarettes in there. ROTFLMAO! Isn't that pathetic...

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 11:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Only another nicotine addict would understand this

What about saving room in your luggage for extra packs of smokes when you're going on holidays ? Trips down south are going to be a lot easier this time around. I bet I can cram in 3 more books!

N
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:45

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default zyban

my 2 cents -
when i was taking welbutrin (zyban) for depression, it did cut out my cravings for nicotine, but also alot of FOOD cravings. it dosen't necessarily slow your metabolism, just make you a bit less motivated to exercise, but you can overcome that!! good luck to you, i quit in may of this year and i feel wonderful!
hth
brenda
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 13:20
Forum Founder

BF:

...and all you can think about for the last hour of a plane flight is getting outside as soon as you get off so you can smoke...always making sure you're surrounded by lighters and matches...planning your life around smoking. I didn't realize how much I did this until I stopped. At least I new I was an addict before I stopped. Learning I was addicted to carbs when I started LC was a complete surprise to me. LOL!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 17:59

Stats: 138/132/118
BF:
Progress:
Default zyban

Thankyou everyone for your posts. There seems to be only one person out there with experience on Zyban. Thanks for your insight. I guess it would be wise to lower my caloric intake whilst quitting to counteract the metabolism slowdown. Any thoughts?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 19:06

BF:
Default Re: zyban

Quote:
Originally posted by lisanixon
I guess it would be wise to lower my caloric intake whilst quitting to counteract the metabolism slowdown. Any thoughts?

This would be the worst thing to do, Lisa. Your body interprets a caloric restriction as a sign to decrease metabolism further. The best things to do would be

• 1. Eat more often - have 6 smaller meals instead of 3 larger ones a day. Eating actually boosts your metabolism.

2. Lift some weights. Build some lean muscle mass - this will boost metabolism and burn more calories all day long (even while you're sleeping)

Don't cut back on what you're eating though; you'll just make matters worse.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 01:41
Forum Founder

BF:

If you're completely comfortable and dedicated to LC, keep only LC foods around you. Cooked meats, cheese, LC vegetables, eggs and canned fish. Keep nuts, peanut butter and artificially sweetened stuff away from you. Decide what you can eat, keep it in stock and do not deviate.

The best way to stay with your plan is to prepare in advance for whatever may happen. If you think you'll have no control when you're out, test going out cautiously and stay away from situations that will trigger you to eat the wrong foods.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 18:24
Forum Founder

BF:

For what it's worth, I've found that avoiding all artificial sweeteners and eating very simply and plainly has helped immensely with cravings and keeping an even keel.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 23:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I quit smoking 4 years ago

It was the best thing I ever did. I did gain about 60 pounds but I was diagnosed with a thyroid and pituitary problem all at the same time.
I couldn't use Zyban but I used the patch and it really worked for me. The first week I put it one my chest for more absorption and I also put it on just before I went to bed so I wouldn't be having nic fits when I woke up in the morning.
I have saved so much money it is unreal. In the first year I saved enough money to buy a sofa, loveseat, wing chair. ottoman, cherrywood coffee tables and sides, lamps, paint, curtains and rods for my living room. I saved over 4 grand. Amazing isn't it!?
Keep on trying, its worth it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 06:54

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hey Shelly - I too used the patch to quit - 24 hours a day I had those things on - used to have the most AMAZING dreams!!!

In fact once I reached the end of my "program" I was tempted to keep wearing them at night, they were that good!

It's been since Mar 22 1995 for me. That's one of the reasons for my weight gain which occurred round about the same time. I never thought to add up what I've saved since then - I was a pack and a half a day... probably up around $12,000 over 6+ years - course I have NO idea where I spent that
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 12:51

Stats: 136/136/120
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I am so happy I found this thread and this site. I quit smoking 6 months ago after smoking for many years. I have gained only about 6 lbs but I have gone on a wide array of erratic diets swithing from Low Carb to WW to Scarsdale back to LC and feel totally out of control. I"m losing and gaining the same 6 lbs every 2 weeks or so. When I quit, I used the patch for almost 3 months with little to no weight gain. I had great dreams, too! I really felt good on the patch. I think it's a great way to quit because you get used to not smoking without having to go through the horrendous withdrawals at the same time you are breaking the habit. However, after the patch, I've become an erratic dieter and last night looking for weightloss ideas I came across this site and thread....wow!!! I wish you all the best. Once you get on the other side of it, not having that monkey on your back is worth all the withdrawals, the money you save, and you r clothes not smelling like smoke, and being places going through withdrawals while nonsmokers are having a good time...it's so nice to not smoke. Today is my first day on really thinking about LC as a lifestyle and not just a diet. I'm glad I found you all.