Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-18, 04:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Individual stress susceptibility and glucose metabolism are linked to brain function

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...81024122411.htm

Quote:
Chronic stress is a well-known risk factor for the development of psychiatric illnesses including depression disorders. The brain requires a great deal of glucose, and stress is known to alter glucose metabolism. However, if stress-associated mental impairments are linked to affected glucose metabolism remains to be seen. Researchers at the Department for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the Mainz University Medical Center and the German Resilience Center (DRZ) in Mainz have now discovered that stress-induced mental disturbances in mice are directly linked to abnormal glucose metabolism. Normalizing the stress-induced alterations in glucose levels, using the anti-diabetic drug empagliflozin, restored spatial memory as well as long-term glucose metabolism. The results have been published recently in the scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

The human brain needs a huge amount of energy to function, about ten times more than all other parts of the body. These energy demands make the brain very sensitive to changes in energy supply. Glucose uptake from the blood is very important in this process. Why does chronic stress lead to psychiatric disorders in some people (susceptible) while others, who experience similar life events, remain healthy (resilient)? Does chronic stress lead to stress-dependent changes in glucose metabolism? And are stress, glucose metabolism, and psychiatric alterations directly linked? These questions are being addressed by researchers in the Translational Psychiatry lab of Professor Marianne Müller at the University Medical Center of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) together with collaboration partners.

In the study presented here, researchers have investigated long-term changes in glucose metabolism in an animal model for chronic social stress. Stress disrupted glucose levels and its metabolism in the periphery as well as in the brain. These defects led to spatial memory impairments. Stressed animals displayed increased blood glucose levels that developed early after stress, and the brain was hyperglycemic while showing reduced glucose uptake. To investigate whether the high glucose levels after stress are harmful, researchers made use of the anti-diabetic medication empagliflozin. Addition of empagliflozin to the normal food stimulated glucose excretion through the urine, which normalized the stress-induced hyperglycemia.

"However, not all animals responded the same," said Tanja Jene, PhD student and co-first author on the work. "Within the stressed population clear subgroups could be distinguished, i.e., those that increased glucose levels after stress whereas others kept normal glucose levels." Interestingly, only stressed individuals with high glucose levels after stress developed cognitive impairments (susceptible). High glucose stressed animals also benefited strongly from empagliflozin treatment as spatial memory was normalized as well as long-term glucose metabolism. However, for stressed animals that kept normal glucose levels (resilient), empagliflozin impaired their -- otherwise intact -- spatial memory.

"Our results demonstrate that chronic stress can impair spatial memory through alterations in glucose levels and that intact glucose metabolism is pivotal for memory-related processes," explained Dr. Michael van der Kooij, who designed the study in the Mainz-based Translational Psychiatry lab. "Furthermore, the findings highlight the importance of individuality since all subjects experienced the same stress, but only a proportion was susceptible as these developed disturbances at the levels of glucose metabolism and, hence, cognitive impairments. The fact that stress-susceptibility or resilience could be predicted early after stress by measuring blood glucose levels fuels the belief that perhaps in humans with stress-related disorders, such as depression, abnormal glucose metabolism may also play a major role and that the classification strategies as employed in the current study could enhance treatment efficacy."

Spatial memory was measured here by preference for the novel region of a y-maze (which is what it sounds like). It's questionable whether this is truly a measure of spatial memory so much as anxiety, an anxious mouse avoiding new, unknown territory doesn't seem an unlikely alternative explanation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 10:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Stress increases cortisol and shuts down non-essential processes, like digestion, immune system, and being able to concentrate on complicated things
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 11:31

BF:

Yes, but the question here is the effect of glucocorticoids on glucose metabolism and how it relates to how the stress response plays out.

When I get stressed out at work, i actually have trouble reading analog clocks, I can't sight read them, I have to work it out.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 12:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Teaser, Im glad Im not alone. I have replaced all analog clocks in my life with digital, and dont wear a watch any more. Cells phones have made my life much easier in many ways.

I wasnt always this way.

Other than reducing stress, how to keep the glucocorticoids functional?

Since you eat a pretty keto diet, clearly diet cannot stop this response.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 12:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Interesting about the clocks. My brother, who has a tendency towards anxiety, says he has never been able to handle analog clocks.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 23:03

BF:

There's an intervention for bipolar that deals with social rhythms. Basically comes down to doing pretty much the same things at the same time every day--knowing what to expect can make life less stressful. I mentioned work stress--but that was more early on. The more the same everything is daily, the less stressful. I actually handle stress that I've become accustomed to fairly well (barring actually being abused, I've never been able to handle that), it's more novelty stress I have a problem with. At least when I'm not actively psychotic, then of course all bets are off.

It was always hard for me to ask questions when I didn't understand something, so I ended up learning some stuff like reading clocks a little late. Maybe like with language, things get wired a little differently when you learn things when you're a bit older.