Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default My scales suck

I know you'll all be used to hearing this phrase but...

My scales lie!

Honestly... If i stand in the middle they say i'm about 6 pounds heavier than if i stand where my feet naturally go (i've got size 12 - US 13 - feet so standing in the middle means i'm on tiptoes and the needle jumps around quite a bit).

I guess i'll just have to make sure my feet are in exactly the same place every time.

Sucks though coz i just bought the scales and they weren't cheap (but they were the only ones i could find that went above 19 stone, unfortunately).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 08:58
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hey,

measuring tape is cheap and doesn't lie! Never, ever.

A
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 09:10
Registered Member

Stats: 285/259/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Yeah, i do both but i only measure/weigh once every 2 weeks (to avoid disappointment). I'm strict about it. I don't even 'check'. Unfortunately though i forgot to measure before i started the diet. I did, however, weigh myself so, this being my first weigh-in, i was planning to use weight as the main benchmark this time round.

I did stand in the same place as i think i was standing last time i weighed and it said i'd lost 12-13 pounds (analogue scales). 6 pounds will obviously be fluid but 6-7 pounds loss aint too bad for 2 weeks.

...Provided my scales can be trusted
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 09:20
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I am around your weight and I have found digital scales to be much more consistent than analog scales. In the U.S., you can get a cheap digital scale that goes up to about 300 pounds for about $30. I cannot get a consistent reading off of an analog scale.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 09:23

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

can you return the scales? they sound like bad ones to me!

if you can't, beat that sucker with a hammer for not playing fairly.

i have a digital and it's great. i test it once in a while with my hand weights and it's really consistent.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 10:08

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

My (digital) scale does the same thing - so did my other non-digital scale. Come to think of it, so did my buddy's expensive Tanita scale. I mean, weighing differenly depending on how/where you're placing your weight.

HOWEVER, if you do not feel comfy with this scale, I too, think you should try to return it. I am all about returning uncooperative objects!!!

I think I'm just going to take mine into the front yard and hammer it to death. What do ya think?...Could be worth the money....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 10:15

Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

I say weigh yourself in different positions then take the one that makes you the happiest. That's what i do. I have a digital scale but depending on were i put it on my bahtroom floor the weight can vary 2 pounds. I put it were i have lost the most. Since i does this each week i think it's got to be pretty accurate. takes a little longer though, but who cares about another minute here or there.

Jon