Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 09:02

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Measuring vs. the dreaded scales

I am one of those people who is addicted to the scales. I even have weighed myself multable times a day. I would like to try and break myself of this addiction, but it really has a tight hold on me. What you all say about the scales not being an accurate messure of fat loss makes sense. The problem for me is being able to get an accurate measurment of my size. (do I even want to know?) Because I carry so much of my weight around the middle and also due to having 5 abdominal surgeries, I can't seem to get an accurate measure of my waist. I don't really have a waist anymore. Using a pair of pants to measure sounds like a reasonable idea, yet all my pants have elastic...which again, does not make for an accurate measurment. I could measure my arm or thigh I suppose, but those are the last places for a loss to show on me. Does anyone else out there have this type of problem? If measurments are not a good "measure" of weight loss for me, then I'm stuck with the dreaded scale, and that is just depressing me.
According to the scale, I've lost 7 lbs in two weeks. Although that isn't horrible, it certainly isn't the loss that many people seem to experience. Of course, I want results now and my impatience is probably plays into the "scale addiction". Any words of encouragement or any suggestions of alternate measurment of fat loss would be sooooooo welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 09:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

While the tape measurement's may not be the most accurate, as you explained, during the first few months of LCing the drop in inches is usually pretty dramatic. You should notice the numbers change. Could you find a belt that you could use? Test pants, be they elastic or not, are usefull - pull them on and then pull them out in front as far as they will go. When you test every month you'll see that distance change.

Measure everywhere - In the first few months of LCing I lost 2 inches off my neck and one off my wrist.

Have you given any thought to taking pictures? You don't have to share them Every two months or so snap a nother one - be sure to always wear the same clothing and to stand in the same place and have the camera at the same distance and height. You will see a difference.

Weighing everyday isn't a sin or a crime - the crime is how we let a readout effect our frame of mind. Accept the number and go about your day. It's not easy at first, but after every post you read where we say over and over "you can't gain a lb of fat overnight" it will get easier. I actually laugh at the numbers now- "Yeah its up?" "Well then why do these pants hang so low now?" Scales ain't so smart - I have a dumb cat that knows more

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 16:35

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks Nat!
I needed that reinforcement. You brought up some very good points about alternate ways of measuring fat loss. I've started looking for other ways also, such as measuring the distance between the steering wheel and tummy. I do have difficulty with the mental disapointment of scale watching, so I think I will attempt to go a few days before looking at that scale. And if when I do step on that device, I'll work hard at not letting it get to me mentally if there is not a loss. I'm feeling better...and am not hungry all the time and that is very important at this stage for me.
Thanks again, Lark
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 17:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Focussing on the other aspects of this WOL is a great way to forget about that damned scale. Not feeling hungry, not suffering from headaches, not feeling lost in the throws of PMS, not knowing what is 'good for you' and what is 'bad for you' - that's a biggie for me (the whole "just one little bite won't hurt" mentality), no being hungry all the time.

It's been almost 11 months for me, and I've never felt better physically and emotionally. These are the things I hold onto when I get frustrated.

Hang in there and think positive!
Nat