Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 19:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/188.8/155 Female 5'2"
BF:44%/27%/20%
Progress: 74%
Default Question about exercise and H20

I have a question for all of you seasoned LCers:

I've been exercising pretty rigorously since about September (cross training, spinning, general cardio [elliptical and arc trainer], and walking). Since starting Atkins I've been extremely anal about my water intake. I try to get in minimum 100 oz a day and usually get in around 125-150 oz a day. I was wondering if you active LCers count the water you drink during exercise as part of your daily tally? Or do you drink your daily minimum above and beyond what you drink during exercise?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but its something I've been thinking about.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 08:26
Registered Member

I posted this late last night so I'm bumping it to see if anyone has any feedback.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 08:27

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I would never drink that much water even on days I run 10+ miles in July. I just drink to thirst.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 10:55
Registered Member

If I just drank when I was thirsty I would probably drink less than 20 oz a day. 100 oz is a bit more than half my weight in oz so I definitely drink that as a minimum but try to go over. Just out of sheer curiosity, how much do you drink a day? We weigh close to the same and started out around the same as well. Just curious.

Anyone have any replies to the actual question?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 11:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Conditions are so different from day to day and activity to activity I could never come up with a number - I definitely don't count what I drink. You will need three times as much walking outside for five miles in 100 degree heat as you would walking on a treadmill in a 70 degree gym - it can be shocking how little temp differences can affect things. I generally drink extra when I exercise, but only a significant amount extra if it's over 55 degrees. Otherwise I'll run up to ten miles (almost 2 hours of exercise) without taking any water with me at all and just sipping a little before I head out. At 60-70 degrees, on the other hand, I might drink an extra 30-40 ounces to compensate for sweat loss. If you are in a gym, I would take a look at the thermostat in your gym to try to get a gage. In some gyms, they keep it well-cooled and you likely don't need very much extra even if you are working pretty hard, but if they keep it at 70-80 degrees, make sure you compensate. But even if it's hot the fact that you are shaded will reduce how much fluid loss you will have. I can run 5-8 miles at my 75-80 degree gym and not really drink much water. If I tried that outside, the sun would have an impact and I would have to drink alot more. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question. I guess my answer is, "it depends".
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 14:24

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I'm in the same court as jschwab with the "it depends" answer. I also run like she does, running a half marathon this weekend in fact. I drink 4 16.9oz bottles of water a day on any given day because that keeps me not thirsty. Sometimes on a 10 mile run I'll drink another 16.9oz, sometimes I'll drink double that, and sometimes less. It just depends on the conditions. I don't tally my water intake though, which is think is what you are asking? If I'm thirsty when I am running I drink, if i'm not I don't.