Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 08:27

Plan: schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 290/290/198 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think it is red pepper (sweet).
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 08:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was wondering if it was flecks or if the dressing was pinkish in colour. If pinkish, you could whiz it all up in a blender with say 1/4 if a chopped red pepper. It would add extra sweetness and would be good in a dressing anyway!

Karen
  #48   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 08:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Chewie

In actuality I did not see your previous post requesting help for a certain dressing...I opened this thread because it was started by Sharon...a gal that I admired and had great respect for...as I read further down saw another from Debbie Dobson...another cutie...whatever happened to these folks...they had alot of personality and valid info to offer here...I then noticed a suggestion to post favorite salad dressing recipes and that is when I posted one that I use all the time... am confident though Chewie that someone will come up with just what you are looking for

Bonnie
  #49   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 12:10

BF:
Default What about this

Karen,
What do you think about this? I found it through google.
CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING

Makes 1-1/4 cups
Per serving (2 Tbsp.): 162 calories; 0.3 carbohydrates; 0 fiber

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup diced onion
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar (equivalent in sugar-free sweetener)
3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
It didn't say it but I might add some finely chopped red pepper as well. For the italian seasoning I just figured I would add oregano and basil.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 21:41

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Back to the original question

1. Cultured milk products (sour cream, buttermilk, yogurt, creme fraiche) will last over a month. We are told often that they only last a couple weeks and if you look at the expiration dates, they sometimes are only for a couple weeks, although some of them go for more than that. I make my own buttermilk and don't eat it all that fast. I have had it last over 1 1/2 months without going bad. And I have had store-bought sour cream last over two months.

2. Dressings made with olive oil can be kept in the pantry for whatever length of time the other ingredients can stand. If you use dried seasonings and vinegar, they can keep for a couple months or more, just keep the container sealed tightly. And they will get stronger as the oil and vinegar draw the flavor out of the spices. Oil, vinegar, and mustard are all three condiments that do not need refrigeration.

I'm sorry for the rant, but it seems to me that we have become a throw-away culture who is also so afraid of food contamination that we don't rely on many foods' natural preservative properties (i.e. mayonnaise's ability to prevent spoilage because of it's acidity - it's acutally the sugar that promotes spoilage in prepared foods).

So my next post will be my favorite Ranch Dressing.

;-Deb
  #51   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 22:05

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Wonderful Ranch Dressing

I make my own buttermilk out of extra-rich milk. This way I have an even better ratio of fat to carbs. I don't make my own yogurt, though, because I have found a really great whole milk organic yogurt at my local natural foods co-op. And I could make my own mayonnaise, but I love Best Foods Real Mayonnaise too much. So here goes:

1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1 cup extra-rich buttermilk

Mix well and refrigerate. When I make a fresh batch, I usually let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. That way the seasonings have a chance to meld with the milks and mayonnaise.

I actually make a larger batch of dressing mix and store it in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid in the cupboard. Then I use a heaping tablespoon-full for a batch of dressing. So my measurements here are based on the bulk batch of dressing mix. You can multiply by whatever scale you want to make your own dressing mix.

[If you are not familiar with them, granulated garlic and onion are like very fine dried minced onion and garlic, I think. I just like them lots better than the powder versions.]

Figured on a 1/4 cup serving (2 tablespoons is way too little of this wonderful, rich dressing) has:

protein: 1.62 g
fat: 15.97 g
carbs: 2.64 (no fibre, sorry)

The one thing I have been missing terribly since I started TSP was Ranch Dressing. The recipes I found on SOAR for Ranch Dressing mix all had monosodium glutamate (Accent) in them. I don't use that. And I find that it is totally not necessary.

If you want to know how to make the buttermilk, here goes. It's really easy.

Get yourself a quart or half-gallon of extra-rich milk. Also get a small (half-pint if you can find it) carton of buttermilk for a starter. Have one or two "sterilized," quart-sized, glass mason jars with plastic lids available (the lids from mayonnaise containers are now plastic and work well, so do the jars for that matter).

Pour the milk in a saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon of the store-bought buttermilk for each cup of milk (i.e for one quart, add 4 tablespoons). You don't have to be exact.

Heat the milk over medium low heat just until the chill is out. Between 90 and 100 degrees works. Don't go over 100 degrees or you'll kill the cultures.

Pour the milk into the jar(s), cover lightly with waxed paper or a cloth and place them in a warm area of your kitchen. I have a non-electric yogurt maker that is really helpful because the 1-quart jar goes into an insulated container that keeps the temperature nice and steady.

Let the milk sit for 12 to 20 hours. When it is ready, the top will be thick and it will smell and taste like buttermilk, of course. Put the lid(s) on and seal tightly. Shake to mix the thickened milk with the portion that is not so thick (it's thicker at the top).

This stuff will last for at least a month if not lots longer. For your next batch, you can use the last of the previous batch as your starter.

BTW: Sharon, thanks for starting this thread. It's cool and I'm going to have to try some of these recipes.

Enjoy,
;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Sun, May-26-02 at 22:11.
  #52   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 22:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Default Re: What about this

Quote:
Originally posted by chewie1012
Karen, What do you think about this? I found it through google.

Looks good chewie! Have you tried it yet?

Karen
  #53   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 08:51

BF:

Karen
Yes I made it for a fiftieth birthday party. It was good. It was a bit too sweet. I added maybe a little to much sweetner. I will make it again. It was just what I was looking for. Thank you!
Jerry
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 18:41
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Default Re: Dressings

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
I don't use olive oil, however, as it has a tendancy to glob up when refridgerated.

Nat

I always keep my olive oil refridgerated (to protect the fats from being damaged), but when I need to use it, I just soak it in a container of hot water for a few minutes. It then takes several days to start to solidify once returned to the fridge. You should be able to do the same with a dressing that partially solidifies, I would think.

Wanda
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 19:06
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default Greek different style dressing

When I make my salad dressing I put some feta right in the dressing, not chunks just pieces. Also use a garlic herb mix, it gives it a fresher taste. I tried some dill too, I prefer the fresh. It makes my greek salad or any salad rock. They have an off the wall brand called mediterranean Herb feta, I mix that in, with olive oil and red wine vinegar. It has all the herbs and seasoning right in it. I also omit the salt. It makes me retain water.
I use my good seasons cruet. Fill the oil to the oil line add feta/ and or seasonings water to the w line and vinegar to the v line. I normally use it by the third day. Tastes great.

Amber