Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 10:38
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Microwave Biscuits

This is a QUICK biscuit I think I'll be making many times in the future. It's a snap to make and ever so good. Surfaces brown nicely, too, just like real biscuits.

This biscuit was inspired by a recipe of Dottie on Low Carb Friends forums. I’ve added and changed a number of ingredients to come up with a very tasty, tall, light, fluffy quick morning biscuit. The texture of this biscuit is so smooth I plan to explore a variety of sweet applications as well. and I may try a buttermilk biscuit version soon, too! This recipe makes two biscuits that I find VERY filling. I have trouble eating a second one. My husband commented that he was having trouble eating his second one as well. I tripled this recipe as seen in the pic on the right, to make a total of 6 biscuits. The leftover biscuits will be good this week with some good sausage gravy on top or for sausage cheese biscuits. These are not suitable until the grains rung of the Atkins OWL ladder.

INGREDIENTS:

1 T. almond flour
1 T. Carbquick bake mix
1 T. coconut flour (I use Let’s Do Organic)
1 T. vital wheat gluten
1 tsp. resistant wheat starch 75
½ tsp. baking powder
Dash salt
1 tsp. oat fiber
1 beaten large egg
2 T. Greek or well-drained drained plain yogurt
1 tsp. olive oil (plus 1/4 tsp. to lightly oil baking ramekins)

DIRECTIONS: Lightly oil two 3″ or 4″ ramekins (or one larger 6″ x 4″ x 3/4″deep baking dish like I used) that are microwaveable. Preheat broiler for final browning (toaster oven or regular toaster will work as well). Measure all dry ingredients into a bowl. Stir in the yogurt and olive oil. Beat and add in the egg last. Stir well to blend ingredients uniformly throughout batter. Dip evenly into ramekins/baking dish, spreading batter with rubber spatula evenly to edges. Microwave on HI for 1 minute 30 seconds (or check sooner, as you MW may cook hotter than mine). Pop dish into broiler a few minutes to lightly brown the tops. Next time I plan to tip the biscuits out of the baking dish before browning, slice them laterally and brown both the tops and bottoms on one side in the broiler. I’m fond of the crusty surfaces. If you baked in large dishes, cut the larger biscuit in half as it will definitely serve two people. Serve hot with butter and/or your favorite jam.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes two large portions, each contains.

119.5 calories
7.85 g fat
10.25 g carbs, 5.32 g fiber, 4.93 NET CARBS
5.9 g protein
243 mg sodium
62 mg potassium
16% RDA Vitamin B12, 11% calcium, 16% iron, 13% riboflavin, 15% selenium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 11:03

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Looks amazing - in a true Texan spirit, I LOVE biscuts and gravy so I'll revisit this one day for sure!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 11:23
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

For anyone interested, I order my resistant wheat starch and oat fiber from Netrition.com on-line. They are texture (and fiber) enhancers in baked goods, rendering smoother texture (less holes) in quick breads and cakes.