Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 08:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi New member from Ireland

Hi
Lovely to see an irish forum!
I'm from Dublin and just starting a low carb diet.
Just a couple of questions. Is it okay to eat brown soda bread and also tomatoes?
I know Atkins doesn't allow brown bread but just wondered how others feel about this.
Pam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 15:13

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

hi Polly,
I'm not in Ireland anymore, but I lived there for 5 years and I'm afraid you will have to say goodbye to brown soda bread for a long time. Maybe when you're in maintenance you can have one slice now and then, like once a week or so, but for the beginning it has way too many carbs - it's a pity!

The Irish fried breakfast is a better choice, although you would have to leave the black and white pudding and also the bangers have way too many rushes, unfortunately. But you can have the bacon and the egss and half a tomato. I used to ask for mushrooms instead of beans, that works very well, too.
The best sweetner, imho, is Splenda and you could always find the tablets for your coffee and tea at Tesco's.
Well I don't know if there's anything else I can help you with, but it's good to see somebody from good old Ireland, I really miss it and will certainly try and visit some time soon.
Willeke

county Galway, 1999 - 2004
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 09:49

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi Pam.

Nice to see another Low carber from Dublin. I live in Swords, where are you?

The occasional tomato is fine, but bread is generally out, unless you make your own. There are some Atkins recipes, but I made one with flaxmeal which is as quick and easy as soda bread.

Check out GG Scandavian Bran crispbreads in Holland and Barrett health food shops. They have so much fibre that they work on Atkins. They taste a bit like chewing woodchips, but at least you can spread your tuna and mayo on them.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 08:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/217/130 Female 62 ins
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Greetings, Polly (or is it Pam)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly2000
Hi
Lovely to see an irish forum!
I'm from Dublin and just starting a low carb diet.
Just a couple of questions. Is it okay to eat brown soda bread and also tomatoes?
I know Atkins doesn't allow brown bread but just wondered how others feel about this.
Pam

I agree about the Irish forum, but where has everyone gone?!!!! There seems to be very little traffic in the Irish section lately, pity it doesn't apply to our roads too!

Willeke is right about the brown soda bread, but there are some recipes for lc alternatives which I am trying out at the moment. I'm having difficulty locating some of the ingredients here though, all the Atkins products, including the bake-mix, seem to have disappeared from the shops lately. If I have any luck with these recipes, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, good luck with your plan, and even though I haven't been at this very long, one of the secrets appears to be not to let yourself get hungry. Sounds daft when you think about it but it's true for me anyway!

Take care,
Jan.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 13:25

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmaree
one of the secrets appears to be not to let yourself get hungry. Sounds daft when you think about it but it's true for me anyway!

Very true. Every time I go out the door, I do a quick checklist: wallet? keys? phone? food?

Food that I nearly always carry include those "Tuna with a twist" pouches from John West, a packet of mixed seeds or Go Lower coconut bars.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 20:37

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

One tip that works for me on shopping day or when we go out to eat is to have something nice baked and ready to eat at home when I get back. It helps me resist the 'bad' temptation on the supermarket shelves or the dessert menu knowing I have a treat to come home to.
It's hard sometimes not to feel like a wistful child with no pocket money looking at all the things you used to indulge in and can no longer 'afford' And boy do I still miss eating spuds ......
Babs
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 12:32
Registered Member

Stats: 167/163/140 Female 5 2
BF:
Progress:

hi im from ireland and new to low carbing so need all your help
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 13:49

BF:
Progress:

Hi, welcome to the board.

I'm in Ireland (Dublin) as well. I've been low carbing for a while, so if I can help, I will.

Helen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 07:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen H
Hi, welcome to the board.

I'm in Ireland (Dublin) as well. I've been low carbing for a while, so if I can help, I will.

Helen

can u send me receipe for your bread please.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 15:40

BF:
Progress:

70g flaxmeal (just ground up flaxseeds)
2 eggs
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt OR 2 tsp cocoa and a little splenda

Mix everything together to a wet dough, pour into a well greased bread tin or a silicon bread mold. Bake in a 200C or gas 6 oven for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. The texture is something like a muffin (you could also bake it in muffin moulds) and close enough to chocolate cake for the children to eat it as birthday cake. It keeps well in a closed container.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 12:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

thank u helen im of to the kitchen to try this sounds so easy, will let u know how i get on,