Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 17:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default LC food in the Shops

Hey all,

Since they have a thread like this in the UK forum, I though we could have our own ;-)

I thought it would be useful for any new products that might appear on our supermarket shelves, any special offers for special LC foods, or just suggestions for "normal" food that are quite lc...

Tesco Stoneybatter (Dublin):

Carb Options BBQ Sauce, Ketchup and Mayonnaise

The BBQ Sauce is lovely, its made with sucralose and comes with around 8 carbs per 100 g. About 2.50 for 500 ml.

Lidl:
This is handy if you're travelling. If you go to the cheese section, they have little plastic containers with feta cheese and olives in oil, and feta cheese with chilli in oil. One of my collegues at work had it with him, and soo tasty, going to get me some of that tomorrow. I dont know the carb count, but if its just cheese, olives and oil, it shouldnt be too high.

Lidl:
Cevapcici - these are jugoslawian mince lamb sausages. The are in the frozen food section and come in 1 kg bags, about 1 g of carbs per 100 g and are also very very tasty. Just stick them in the frying pan or grill them - and then try not to eat the whole bag in one go ;-)

Aldi:
Porc sausage
This is a traditional german type of sausage, and it doesn' have to be cooked. You can cut it in cubes and use it in salad, cut it in slices and just have it as a snack, you can put it in soup or fry it. It has about 1g of carbs.

Lidl also has some lovely salamis, I can't each too much of them, and there is a good bit of salt in them, but the are lc and if you put them under the grill and dry them a bit, they are nice and crunchy.

that's it for now, so if you find any intersting foods, please post them so we can all enjoy them ;-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 16:55

BF:

Boots has started on their LC range. They have a few bars and shakes, and i couldnt resist and got hte chocolate shake for 1.25

Per carton it has 0.7 carbs of which only 0.4 are real carbs but the taste was horrible, it was just really really sickly sweet - but at least it didnt have the soya flavour of hte Atkins shakes ;-)

Slimfast also came out with their own LC range, which is apparently low carb and low cal, but at this stage of the day, I was getting a bit tired and just wanted to go home, so didn't spend too much time looking at them, but both, Boots and Slimfast are def. cheaper than the Atkins stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 17:11

BF:

ok, i just had a look at the boots website to see if could find more info on the whole range of lc products that they have, and this is what I found from the slimfast description:

Guidelines

To lose weight aim to eat around 1200-1400 calories per day
During the course of the day eat up to 4 products from the Slim.Fast Low Cal Low Carb diet range
Make them part of your day by eating them with for example 75g of lean chicken or fish or low carb fruits, salads and seeds for breakfast or lunch
For your main meal have, for example, 75-100g of lean chicken, fish or meat, 100g wholegrain bread or potatoes and plenty of leafy green or bright red vegetables, like salad, broccoli or red peppers
Drinks: Make sure you drink 1.5-2 litres of water or low calorie drink
(http://www.boots.com/shop/product_d...36&slmRefer=000)

100g of bread or potatoes???? They bring out an lc plan and they havent got a clue!!

I can't find too much info on the Boots range though...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 05:50

Stats: 249/232/196 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 32%

In Supervalue

Avonmore peppercorn sauce in 250 ml Cartons in the meat section only 2.1 carbs per 100ml and tastes lovely with steak and very low in carbs.

Also Moy Park Chicken wings in BBQ sauce very tasty for a snack.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 10:46

BF:

I found some shakes from Carb Options in Creamy Vanilla and Dark Chocolate. Both have about 3 net carbs

The dark chocolate drink is sickly sweet so is the creamy vanilla, but somehow actually like the creamy vanilla.

Also saw some LC croissants from Boots and chocolate covered peanuts, also from Boots, but quite high in polyols though.

Holland and Barrett close to the St.Stephen's Green also had some cake mixtures. You just have to add some water and one egg, stick it in the micro for a few minutes - and hey presto you have some cake. It looked quite tasty, but if you go with the 3 or 5 minute cake from the recipe section, you'll probably will get a healthier and tastier cake ;-)

Boots also has some bread mix and packets of soups (tomato and mushroom) which could be handy for work or if you are in the rush.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 06:54

BF:

sorry, meant to say the shakes were from carb solutions and not from carb options.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 04:13

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Unsweetened Chocolate for Receipe?

Hi all,

I saw a receipe on Atkins site for Decadant Chocolate cake, it is made with unsweetened chocolate, i have never seen it in Ireland, can you help me out by telling me if and where i can get it? I think it is called unsweetened baking chocolate.

Many thanks,

Broná
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 16:48

BF:

Hi Brona,

I don't know about unsweetened baking chocolate, maybe the Cadbury's Cocoa Powder would be an alternative?

Fat 20.8g
Carbohydrate 10.5g
Protein 23.1g

You could then maybe add some more butter to it to make up for the fact that its powder and not a chocolate bar?

I've only ever seen sweetened chocolate with various degrees of cocoa powder up to 80% or the diabetic chocolate but they are full of polyols.

hope that helps,

Gagalina
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 04:56

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you

I've never heard of it either, i'll have a good look around, many thanks for your reply.

Broná
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 04:58

BF:

Hi Brona,

its just in the section where you find all the hot chocolate powders in a red/purple tin - I'm addicted to the stuff ;-)

Let us know how you got on because that cake sounds very yummy!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 18:57

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Gagalina

Thanks Gagalina,

I will try it with cocoa, have you any idea what Carbquick is? i saw a receipe for Carbquick Pancakes, i'm tired of fries for breakfast.

I find it difficult finding foods over here equal to American receipes, do you?

Broná
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:00

BF:

I think Carbquick is a bakemix, similar to the Atkins bakemix?? Maybe you can just substitute them?

I think its getting better over here now with the availability of products. There's carb options in Tesco, Boots has their own range and there are loads of other brands with differnt products in Nature's Way and the other Health Food shops. Apart from not finding all the ingredients, I wish the americans would start using grams ;-) This whole cup thing has me totally confused...

Anybody ever tried "creamed coconut"? It has 6g of carbs per 100 gram and you mix it with hot water to get this type of coconut milk thing. It comes in a block, I found it in the Asian supermarket (Chinese Emporium) behind George street. It smells absolutely lovely, but I've only tried a little bit so far. It might have nice applications for stir fries or deserts.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:42

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi Gagalina

Hi gagalina,

I do agree that the cup measurement is confusing espicially when you are a newbie to all this.

I went to my local health store here in Wexford to buy Almond Flour, all they had was ground almonds, i suppose it is the same what do you think?

I'd like to try Pancakes, have you tried them yet?

Broná
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 06:51

BF:

Hi Brona,

I use the ground almonds aswell, think the almond flour is just a little bit more ground, but don't think it matters.

What pancakes do you make?

My favorite recipe for eggs is the Mock Danish but in the frying pan, so its more like a pancake/omlett type of thing.

Beat 2 eggs and add 1 crushed splenda tablet, a big spoon of cream cheese and a good dash of cinnamon. Mix it all up until there are little flakes of cream cheese all over.

Heat some butter in a frying pan, add the mixture, let it brown on one side and flip it over. Let it brown on the second side and serve. The cream cheese makes this really nice and fluffy and I love having this for breakfast.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 13:32

BF:
Progress:
Default Hi

Hi gagalina,

I haven't tried pancakes yet, this is my third week on Atkins and i'm not sure if i can cook your receipe, what do you think?

I introduced a couple of macadamia nuts this week, i love them but a bit salty.

I thought the pancake receipe that i saw somewhere around here was made with Almond flour, could be wrong, i'll have a look again.
I will try your receipe in the morning, will let you know how i got on.

We are at a disadvantage over here with not much choice in low carb, i was thinking of asking my local supermarket to try and get me some items.

I'm a bit tired of fries and veg would like more of a variety maybe something sweet have you any receipes or tips?

Many thanks gagalina.

Broná