Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/185 Female 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Low carb food choices while in Ireland?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland at the end of March. I've been low carbing for a month now (Atkins), have lost 12 pounds and feel great! I have no intentions of sabotaging my efforts now that I've come so far. In fact, we plan on doing a lot of walking/hiking and I'm looking forward to it.

The question is, what is the best choice for finding low carb food? Should we hit some grocery stores or do restaurants/pubs have lc options? Veggies and meats/seafood are fine of course. I'm thinking about making some pemmican or my own power bars and taking them in my back pack, just in case.

I truly want to have a lovely travel experience, all the way around.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 17:53

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

You'll have no problems, honestly.

Best bet for breakfast for low carbers is the "Full Irish". This is a huge plate full of fried or scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, beans, black and white pudding, served with toast and tea or coffee. Just eat the egg, bacon and mushrooms and leave the rest. I've fed a full family on one breakfast.

Lots of lunches are based round sandwiches, but most pubs still do old-fashioned carvery lunch, where you can choose between roast beef, ham, chicken or sometimes things like lamb stew, served with some rather overcooked veg and potatoes. Just leave the spuds, or better still, ask for extra veg or salad instead.

Eating out at dinner, go for the meat, fish or chicken option and ask for green veg or salad instead of whatever fries (we call them chips), rice or pasta is on offer. You can usually get a cheeseplate instead of dessert.

If you are planning to spend much time in Dublin, I can recommend specific restaurants if you like.

Shops generally don't carry much in the way of low carb food (apart from meat and veg etc). Boots the Chemist does a range of diabetic sweets which is the closest we generally come to low carb candy. The Holland & Barrett health food shops stock GG Scandanavian crispbread which are very low carb. In Dublin, there are a few places where you can buy Lindt 99% chocolate. I'd suggest you stock up on that, it's great for low carb chocolate addicts. There are also a couple of places where you can buy biltong.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 17:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/185 Female 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you so much for the helpful info! That's a relief to know I will have more choices. I love the Lindt chocolate so I'll be sure to bring those.

We will be staying in Dublin for a night, the rest of the time near Shannen. So if there are any restaurants, I'd really appreciate the recommendations!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 10:40

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Ok, some low carb options:

The Food Emporium between Abbey Street and Liffey Street has lots of Help-yourself buffets where you can load up your plate with chicken drumsticks and pork for 8.95 euro.

The Port House in South William Street (a few doors down from Butler's Chocolate) and its sister Pintxos in Eustace Street both serve lots of tapas sized portions of meat, cheese, fish and nuts.

The Corner Grillhouse on South Great Georges Street has good steak,

Tante Zoe has lots of low-carb options, includiing a cream cheese starter that's a meal in itself, and some good fish and steak.

China House Restaurant in Moore Street is very Chinese and serves stuff like fried intestine, but also things like lamb soup, lamb cubes, chicken bones, pork hocks, and lots of fishy things, all dirt cheap by Dublin standards.

Bar Italia has great Atkins-friendly antipasto, and the best coffee in Dublin.

The Market Bar has lots of good options.

101 Talbot (in Talbot Street) has some good options and is very helpful about replacing carbs with green veg.

Fallon and Byrne in Wicklow Street stock Lindt 99%. So does the Avoca food hall in Suffolk Street.

McDonalds in Grafton Street and O'Connell Street both have McCafes where you can get a cafe Vienna which is made with huge amounts of real whipped cream, no sugar added.