Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 11:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/238/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default I need bread now!

Hi all,
A couple of years ago I lost a stone on the two weeks of induction. I went back to my poor eating habits and now I've put back on that stone plus one more for good measure! I know LC works for me (I had so much engery when I was doing it) but now I'm fighting a serious carbohydrate addiction.

Basically, I usually work late, and I have no time to go home in the evening to cook (at which time I am starving). I can get LC breakfast and dinner in work, but come 5:00, the only thing available is from vending machines (high carbs all the way!). My only hope is to get low carb bread - then I can make sandwiches that I can eat in the evening in work.

Obviously, the bread would need to be seriously low carb if I am to eat it during induction. Would anyone have any recipes? Someone mentioned it in the 'New Items Thread, but haven't posted anything yet. Hopefully they would be easy to bake... i'm not exactly the best chef..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 11:47

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Hi,
Have you thought about using the low carb tortilias to make a kind of wrap instead of sandwich? That's pretty much what I do for at least one meal a day....it can be tuna, cold cuts, ham and cheese, whatever. Don't get me wrong, I love...I mean love bread, but this can kind of serve the purpose.

Good Luck. You can do it!
Anita
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 12:03

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

you dont "need" the bread to eat cold cuts tuna or whatever. Can you just bring tuna and chicken and cheese sticks beef jerkey with you to work? How about some nuts, or raw veggis with some salad dressing to dip in.

My advice is to not rely on LC products as they cause stalls in lots of people. If you need the bread, arnolds or pepridge farm brands are pretty tasty. 4g per slice.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 08:30

Stats: 238/238/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice.
Hey Anita, any idea where I can get the LC tortilias? Dunnes stores? Tesco?
Thanks,
Rob
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 14:16

Plan: atkins/under 20 gr per da
Stats: 154/133/129 Female 5 8
BF:22
Progress: 84%

Hi all,

It was me that mentioned about the rye bread. Sorry have not been able to log on for days. Crisis with leak from bathroom into kitchen! This recipe is really easy and all ingredients can be bought from dunnes or health food shops. I swear by it and it tastes yum:

RYE Bread

2 tablespoons of plain flour
1 tablespoon of wholewheat flour (wholemeal)
1 tablespoon of rye flour
1 tablespoon of caraway seeds
0.5 tablespoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of splenda
2 eggs, seperated
pinch of seasoned salt
2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese
30 g butter, melted
pinch cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

Mix flours and caraway seeds together. Beat in egg yolks and sprinkle with seasoned salt and splenda. Mix cheese with butter, add dry ingredients, and blend well. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Fold into cheese mixture. Spoon into a small oiled loaf tin and take for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on rack.

Total gram 23.7
Per slice 2.0

I actually treble these ingredients and bake for longer. When taking the load out of the oven and of the loaf tin check there is a hollow sound when you bang the bottom of the loaf.

Hope you enjoy!

Aoife
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-07, 20:38

Stats: 255/209/160 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 48%

Any kind of flour is the kiss of death when it comes to the Atkins diet. It would be better to make flax bread. It may have 4 carbs but it also has 4 fiber so that's 0 net carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 16:25

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Flaxbread

70g flaxmeal (just buy ordinary flaxseed and toss it into the blender for a few minutes)
2 eggs
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cocoa + sweetener (optional)

Mix everything to a wet dough, pour into a well greased or silicon baking tin, bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C for around 16-18 minutes. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean.

It has the texture of a moist flatbread or muffin. My children often bake this themselves, take it to school and them people it's chocolate cake.

It will keep for several days in a container in the fridge.

If you have whey powder, I have other recipes for whey and flax bread.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-07, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/217/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Like brown soda bread.

NOTE: This is NOT induction legal, but is once you have reached the nuts/seed rung. It's very low carb, and tastes very like brown soda bread. It is even enjoyed by non-low carbers around here.

2 oz ground almonds
1 oz flaxmeal (Linwoods)
6 tablepoons wheat bran (just under 0.5 oz)
0.5 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
0.25 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon salt

2 medium eggs
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon full fat yogurt
water
0.25 teaspoon vinegar

Mix all the dry ingredients together well in a bowl.

Mix all the wet ingredients well. Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and beat together with a spoon. You end up with quite a sloppy mixture.

Scrape into an uncovered microwave proof container and flatten into it well so that there is no trapped air. I used a round plastic container about 5" in diameter and 3" deep, with straight edges. It needs to have quite high edges as the bread rises considerably.

Put into the microwave on high for 5 mins. Microwaves vary but when it's done the top of the bread should be dry.

It looks sort of grey/pale brown when done - not appetising. It tastes ok this way, but I popped it in a medium-hot oven, about 180 degrees, (after removing it from the plastic container, with great care cos its very hot!) for about 10 mins until it was lightly browned all over to give it a good crust.

Keeps very well for 3-4 days wrapped in tin foil.

Content per Loaf
Calories: 831
Fat: 69g
Protein: 39g
Total Carbs: 40g
Fiber: 30g
Net Carbs: 10g

Gives about 10 good sized slices - each with 1g net carb and about 85 calories.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 10:44

BF:
Progress:

Sounds excellent. Have you ever tried just baking it rather than microwaving it?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 03:58

Stats: 255/217/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Yes. It was horrible. I don't know why but it was heavy, leaden and just not right. It didn't rise nearly as well as it does in the microwave. For some reason it rises really well in the microwave, is far lighter in texture and much more like real soda bread.

I'm surmising here, but maybe it is because with the lack of flour you need a very fast rise or else the other ingredients become too cooked before rising is complete and it doesn't 'lift' the ground almonds, which are quite a bit heavier than flour.

In the microwave it starts to rise very quickly and rises very high before sinking back a little to a good height. In the oven it rose a little but stayed much flatter - it was about half the height of the microwaved version.

BTW I see above I forgot to say how much water to add. What you do is mix all the other wet ingredients, then add enough water to almost double the volume in the cup - or in whatever container you are using. It makes quite a sloppy mix when you add that to the dry ingredients.

Last edited by kate58 : Sat, Nov-17-07 at 04:08.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 14:09

BF:
Progress:

I'm doing a PSMF at the moment, but I'll definitely have a go at that bread when I'm finished.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 05:38

Stats: 252/243/130 Female 63in
BF:
Progress: 7%

I have just tried this bread. It is amazing! It tastes like real irish brown bread, gorgeous. It did rise in the micro, though one side rose more than the other, I will probably need to tweak it a bit as regards timing. I've had to have a slice out of the micro, slathered with butter, gorgeous! The rest is in the oven now to see if I can get that crust effect. However for toasties, or other breadcrumb-y uses I don't think you would need to do that. - - Left it a little long in the oven, but it did get a nice crust. You have to try this bread, it is great!