Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broná
I'm on my second week of OWL and am VERY CONSTIPATED, i eat my veg and take psysillium husk which has always helped me, i dring loads of water, some nights i have to take senna but don't want to rely on them, did you have that problem?

Broná

Hey Broná,

just thought I might chime in here! I'm not sure if you're still having the constipation problems but I did too for a long while.

My cure was to start taking a Magnesium supplement - actually the Holland & Barrett calcium-magnesium-zinc ones. This has helped me dramatically, but I have to be religious about taking them every day, even two days without taking them and I'll know about it.

I'm not sure of the exact details of why magnesium helps, but I read somewhere that it stimulates the muscles/nerves and this helps your digestive system and bowels to be more active. I also read that, actually, constipation can be an indicator of magnesium deficiency. I don't stand over these explanations though, they could be wrong! I just know that this helped me a lot.

All the best,
veda
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 08:16

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you Veda

Thank you Veda,

Constpation so so, good days bad days I can't really blame Atkins as i've always suffered from it. I take psyllium husk it has always worked for me but now it's a bit slow, i do drink loads of water, you have to when taking psyllium husk.

Thank you for the tip Veda.

Broná
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 03:47
Registered Member

Stats: 182.6/151.8/154 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I got a mild case of bloody piles last week from constipation but generally couple of celery stick and lettuce leaves a day normally keeps me in good stead.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 04:20

Plan: Dr. Greg Ellis
Stats: 340/318/180 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Somebody mentioned a long time ago about unsweetened chocolate. You can get that in North America only through Kraft foods. So if anyone is taking a trip that way, it's called BAKER'S chocolate. You can get unsweetened and semi-sweet.
I grew up with that with my mum's baking. Too bad you can't get it here but maybe it's time for us all to try and get Kraft foods over here. It's great chocolate although not as great as the Irish chocolate (which is loaded with sugar).

Peadar
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 13:14

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Peadar

Thank you Peadar, that is good info about the chocolate.

I bought Boots Chocolate, Diabetics can eat it also but it run right through me, never again

Broná
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 13:50

BF:

Constipation is a big problem.

The Atkin's diet only allows such a small amount of carbs which is one of the main reasons people are so constipated to begin with. Such a small amount is unnecessary.

You can lose fat without cutting out so many carbs. I eat between 100-125 grams carbs a day and since the end of January have lost on average, 3 pounds a week.

If the total consumption of your daily food intake has less that 25% of it as carbs, you will burn fat. That's 25%, not 25 grams.

Lack of exercise is also one of the main reasons people get so constipated. You've got to move to move, if you know what I mean.

A good colon therapist may also be the solution. I know one who is professional and skilled in that field. Be careful, there are a lot of cowboys and cowgirls out there.

There's something better than psyllium husks too, if you're interested let me know.

Peadar

Last edited by peadar : Fri, Mar-25-05 at 14:05.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 15:58

Plan: atkins/under 20 gr per da
Stats: 154/133/129 Female 5 8
BF:22
Progress: 84%

Hi everyone,

Nice to know that i am not the only one having problems with constipation. Bought the H and B magnesium calcium zinc chelated stuff, whatever chelated means. Has not really worked. Do i have to take it with every meal or just all three at one meal? Instructions not too clear.

I have lost most of my weight but cannot get down from 62+ to 59kilos. Lost most of my weight within six weeks last august but cannot shift the last bit. Am sticking to induction most of the time but still it just wont shift. Am a mother of three kids (6 years to 18 months) so am very active. Work out a couple times a week and go walking.

Has anyone any tips. Feeling fed up again with the chicken, steak, burger dinner. Any ideas for some breakfast apart from rashers, saussages and eggs.

Thanks,

Aoife
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 18:10

BF:

Hi Aofe,

Chelated simply means that the mineral is made more bioavailable for the body to break it down and use it in a more efficient manner. It's usually the best way to go.

The whole thing about induction and lowering your carbs will only assist in your appetite but shifting the weight is another matter.

You have to know your resting metabolic rate which you can find out at this site: http://www.ultimatedietsecrets.com/ch4calcs.html

This will tell you by your weight and age how many calories you need to eat in order to maintain your weight. What you'll be tempted to do is eat less calories, however what you need to do is monitor what you eat (both carbs and calories) then figure out how much physical activity you need to engage in, in order to burn so many calories so that over a given period of days or weeks, you will be able to burn so many pounds.

This will work for you and you will be burning fat not lean body mass which is critical.

You can monitor specifically what you eat through Fitday which is free. I use the Performance Diet because I use it on my computer and not through the internet, but whatever will work for you. This is the only way to know exactly how many calories you are eating and if you're eating more than your RMR, then there's part of the problem right there. Once you have the information then you can deal with it with knowledge in hand.

I understand what you mean about being sick of eating the same thing for breakfast. Don't feel trapped by this but enjoy your food. Some people would shoot me for this advice but alternate your meals, ie. buy some low carb bread, butter up a couple of slices, fry up some bacon, tomato and lettuce with mayo and enjoy. Don't feel that every meal has to be total grease only.

The secret is to ensure that your carb percentage at the end of the day is less than 25% of all your food intake. Believe me, you will lose. So many people are hung up about carbs but it is the energy in (calories) and energy out (calories) which is the main issue. If you burn more than you take in, then you will lose weight.

I hope this helps. Don't give up. Boy I wish I weighed 62 kilos. I applaud you for all your hard work.

Peadar
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 05:37
Registered Member

Stats: 170/144/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

[QUOTE=aofe]I have lost most of my weight but cannot get down from 62+ to 59kilos. Lost most of my weight within six weeks last august but cannot shift the last bit. Am sticking to induction most of the time but still it just wont shift. Am a mother of three kids (6 years to 18 months) so am very active. Work out a couple times a week and go walking.

Has anyone any tips. Feeling fed up again with the chicken, steak, burger dinner. Any ideas for some breakfast apart from rashers, saussages and eggs.QUOTE]

Make sure you're eating lots of vegetables along with the meat things you listed. I've gradually gotten really good at eating my veggies since starting Atkins. I never would have eaten broccoli or spinach or asparagus before this! Also, make sure you're eating enough. I find that cutting back too much on the calories is counter-productive. Slowly-but-surely works out better in the long run. I'm not sure I like the idea of being on induction when you are so near to goal, maybe you could think about moving up the ladder.

My favourite breakfast is spinach/ham/feta egg bake. It's a variation of the "Slice of Mushroom Heaven" recipe in Dana Carpender's book - I can't handle mushrooms so I changed it to suit myself. The amount makes 6 (generous) portions which keep in the fridge. I don't have the details handy, but I'll come back and post the recipe later.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 06:05

Plan: curves/motivation
Stats: 150/140/135 Female 178
BF:
Progress:
Default Good tasting Low Carb foods

I have tried the H&B cake mix and that's not bad!!! and you feel like a great cook to beat the band. Only thing is that you're tempted to eat the whole thing! The only treats that are anyway tasty are the bariatrix protein bars from corefitness.ie. Even my kids are eating them! I have to hide them at €13 a box - the biscuits from Lidl will do the kids - especially the bourbon creams - about 100 bikies in the packet for about 60cents!!! there's a deal - if only they were low carb!!!!