Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 00:34

Plan: modified south beach
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Red face Green Tea?

In addition to modified atkins (been low carbing for a while) Ive taken on the One a Day Healthy Weight vitamins with 27mg of green tea extract (been taking them for 2 weeks) and drinking one mug of green tea a day. So far, any results have been minimal, but Im not giving up hope. Has anyone used green tea and had a good amount of weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 03:41
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

I tried drinking its minging!! My friend uses the capsules which he buys on the net from America cause they are so damed expensive in the uk, he swears by them. You say your results have been minimal, you have just over 5lbs in that time!! thats amazing to say you only have 10lbs to loose. remember other people are having bigger weight loses because they have a lot more to loose than 10lbs, and the nearer their goal the slower it will become also. just be patient and you will reach goal!! remember its not a race but a new way of life, hang on in there your doing GREAT!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default I looove green tea

I took up drinking green tea when I realized I absolutely HAD to stop drinking so much coffee...and after reading and hearing about all the benefits of green tea, it sounded like the best option.
I've heard that the tea can help boost metabolism and eventually help you to lose weight, but personally my weight didn't start coming off from the tea alone...
Still, if you want something warm and soothing to drink that's not going to contribute to your carb or calorie count, green tea is a best bet. I saw on one internet site that its health benefits include lowering blood sugar, boosting immune system, reducing the risk of cancer, lowering cholesterol, preventing arthritis, etc. (try out http://www.green-tea-benefits.com/h...-green-tea.html).

Finally, be careful with what you add to your green tea, especially if you're LCing. I used to add honey or sugar, but no more! Plain green tea isn't the most appetizing drink, but Lipton makes flavored tea bags that taste great and have no cals or carbs. I like Orange/Passionfruit/Jasmine and Honey flavored.

Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:05

Plan: modified south beach
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:

I know green tea drinks and supplements will only aid in weight loss. Im gonna measure my waist, thighs, etc today! Hopefully Ive lost some more. BTW has anyone tried the Atkins Peanut Butter Cups? mmmmmm
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 22:31

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 194/176/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

WHAT??? Green tea has NO carbs? Are you sure? I am a major coffee addict, I have switched to Bigelow teas because they are super low in carbs, .01 for a cup, but Green tea has no carbs? Please respond I am dying to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 01:39

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 192.9/187.3/100 Female 59in
BF:30%/30%/20%
Progress: 6%

I found this on the internet re green tea. Thought it might interest you:

Weight loss experts theorize that green tea may reduce the rate and amount of carbohydrate absorption and thereby promote the burning of fat (without causing harm to the body). In one study, 60 overweight, middle-aged women were placed on a diet supplying 1,800 calories per day. One group took green tea supplements with all three meals. A second group was given a placebo (“dummy” pill.) The results? After two weeks, the women taking the green tea pills lost twice as much weight as women in the control group. On average, after a month, the green tea users tripled the weight loss of the other group. How does this work? Polyphenols in green tea react with amylase, an enzyme in saliva that digests carbohydrates; they also have an affect on the digestion of carbohydrates farther along in the digestive tract, causing a slow release of carbohydrates. This prevents a sharp rise of blood insulin levels, which tends to cause fat burning instead of fat storage.

Dr. Tsang-do Houng, a researcher at the University os Beijing and graduate of Harvard Medical School, says, “A cup twenty minutes before a meal makes you feel filled up and kills hunger pangs.” Studies show that taking green tea twice a day can help curb one’s appetite.

A study conducted by the University of Geneva’s Dr. Abdul Dulloo and colleagues suggests the caffeine in green tea interacts with the flavonoids in green tea, which increases the rate of calorie burning -- including fat calorie burning.

Green tea contains saponins, a substance that ties up the fat from the contents of the intestines and prevents them from entering the bloodstream. Therefore, the body doesn’t have to store excess calories as fat deposits.The caffeine content of green tea (11 mg per 1/2 tsp. of Mr. Green Tea seasoning and 15-100 mg per cup of green tea) causes an increase in BMR called thermogenic effect. It may boost weight loss efforts by helping the body burn more calories.

Another thing to note that I found on another web site was that green tea provides 70% of our daily floride!!!

Also black and green varieties of teas do not contain any carbs. Check out Atkins Hidden Carbs under Low Carb Tips.

Cheers
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 05:04

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:

Why Does Green Tea Taste So Bitter
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 06:55

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Not all green tea tastes bitter. Most of the commonly found cheap stuff is pretty bitter. See what a good tea shop has, or try white tea, which has all the health qualities of green tea but tastes good.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 04:19

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:

thanks brought green tea from ASDA a supermarket in UK
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 07:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"