Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 22:48

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Tried a couple more SS recipes recently.

The whole wheat soft pretzels in Fast and Easy are really good! A bit chewy but the flavor is wonderful. We eat them with mustard for a snack or with SF berry jam for breakfast. Nice and easy to carry around and good warm or cold.

Today I made the Spinach Lasagna from Eat Cheat and Melt. I sprinkled a little bit of curry across the top, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Oh, I used the crust from her mini pizza as the pasta. Very good! I can seal a square in a tupperware and nuke it for lunch at school. Or it's good cold, too.

Now to try something with eggplant becuase I bought a couple on sale. Anybody have a good eggplant recipe?

MB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: LC after breakfast
Stats: 150/146/135 Female 5'5"
BF:yes I have it.
Progress: 27%

Eggplant Parmesan

3 eggplant, 1/2" slices

3-4 eggs, beaten

1-2 cups grated parmesan

Italian seasoning

1# ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped (optional)

8oz fresh, sliced mushrooms

1 quart jar Classico tomato/basil sauce (or any legal tomato based sauce)

1 pkg. shredded Italian cheese blend

#3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 21:26
Registered Member

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Coat eggplant in egg and then coat in parmesan cheese/seasoning. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 25 minutes.

While eggplant bakes, saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil. Brown ground beef. Add sauce and simmer at least 15-30 minutes.

To assemble, use a 9x13 pan. Spread sauce, then layer of eggplant, then cheese. Repeat layers. End with cheese. (I add more parmesan to the top) Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil for the last 5 minutes and broil to brown the top. Set for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

Deb's note - Now I make this the day before and let it sit in the refrigerator. The flavors really blend this way. Then I bake it the second day - so good!

#4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 21:08

BF:

Thank you! Shall make it on Sunday and start eating Monday. Sounds yummy and as filling as the lasagna.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 23:20

BF:

Tried it and LOVED it SJmom. Thank you very much! The eggplant on the top was just a tad dry, and so a little tough. Shall do the cheese on top a little thicker in future I guess. Anyway, it added a nice new recipe to our repetoire and used up my eggplants nicely.

MB
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 07:42
Registered Member

I'm sorry to have printed the recipe without my telling you that I don't think I have ever made a recipe without changing SOMETHING about it. I just remember that the ingredients went together well in my head. It's funny, the recipe is printed on my computer screen in the living room and I run in from the kitchen and read it,and by the time I get back, I appear to change it, a bit. That is one from DebB who posts on Susanne's website. I hope you downloaded those 500 pages of recipes from the archived recipes at Susanne's site. I go there all the time for inspiration.

Last edited by sjmom : Mon, Oct-20-03 at 07:49. Reason: hit the wrong button again
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 23:14

BF:
Exclamation 500 pages???

LOL! I'm not sure I can afford the printer ink... To tell the truth I haven't been to Suzanne's site for ages. I just run out of time to get everywhere when I'm online. With the various forums I visit (I have a couple of other, non-food places I visit every day) and checking on all my journal friends here I get exhausted... I don't even get past the journals to the SS forum here but once a month anymore! Should rectify that or I'll miss something too.

I know what you mean though, because I change most recipes at least a little myself. Some a whole bunch! I usually follow them pretty closely the first time and then I start to play. I have a friend who says she's got an absolutely outstanding egplant parm recipe that has way less ingreds in it. Got to try that one too and will post it here if it's worth posting!

Thanks again.

MB
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 11:53

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi SJMom, I was just wondering if you had a link to the recipe archive? Thank you!