Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 02:04

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Oil Chart for cooking..... from Specturm...

I went to my nearest whole food store and on the oil section I found this “oil chart from Spectrum* (*brand of products)” to guide the buyers what oils to buy depending on your use.

I was surprise to find oils where classify to 4 levels depending on the stability for hi levels of cooking but the "coconut oil" they put it into the category number 2 = medium-heat cooking.

1. Hi-heat cooking
2. Medium-heat cooking
3. Low-heat cooking
4. Cold oil.

The “better” oil for hi levels of cooking was "Super Canola oil" but they put a regular "canola oil" as a Low-heat cooking. I am posting some links here from their site, they don't have the actuall chart I am talking about, but under "cooking oils" each oil has the explanation of what should it be use for.. I also posted some easy to explain some words we normally see on the stores.

You will be able to see the two different kinds of Canola oils, I wonder if someone can help me better undersand how "Super Canola Oil" is better choice for frying your food than "Coconut oil"

Cooking oils
Expeller Pressed vs. Cold Pressed
Hydrogenation and Trans-Fatty Acids
Filter or not filter
Refined or Unrefined?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 09:20

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Cucu, you must understand that Spectrum still caters mostly to the low-fat and vegetarian mainstream thinking. The only thing I would ever use canola oil for (super or otherwise) is to lubricate machinery. To my knowledge it is foreign to the human body. I believe that vegetable and seed oils are not stable, go rancid quickly, and do produce free radicals when heated, no matter what Spectrum claims. I would take their recommendations with a grain of salt. I'll look up some sites for you that go into more detail.

Howard