Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1246   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 20:15

Plan: LC/LF + weights & cardio
Stats: 158.0/138.8/135.0 Female 5'7 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

I love your list, I'm gonna copy it!
Sponsored Links
  #1247   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 07:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Lena. I got that from: Mark McManus's website, he is a LC bodybuilder.
http://www.musclehack.com/how-to-bu...-the-same-time/

"Bru" kindly shared the link, so I downloaded McManus's free e-book and think I will follow it for a while. I REALLY want to get back to strict lowcarbing so I can get this ravenous appetite of mine under control. I agree with his thoughts on diet and work-outs. I'd like to stop being influenced by everything I read, and just do what seems best for me.

And for the PM. It was very kind, and I hope soon accurate.

#1248   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 10:37

Plan: LC/LF + weights & cardio
Stats: 158.0/138.8/135.0 Female 5'7 1/2 in
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hey, that looks like a very interesting book, I think I'll give it a read also! I always forget how much strict LC completely kills my appetite. Whenever I stray from LC, I always think, "how in the heck was I so easily able to stay away from bread and sugar like that?" Well, duh, because you have no appetite and almost no desire for that stuff at all.

Thanks for the reminder!
  #1249   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 14:48

BF:

Hi Lena. Yeah....I'm anxiously awaiting that appetite suppression.

On the musclehack bodyfat calculator said I was 24% bf.

So far the workouts are going o.k. I have some tweaking I'm going to be doing to it, because there are some things I feel I need to be doing.
  #1250   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-08, 05:40

BF:

Bru, I decided to answer the "tweaking" question here instead of high-jacking that other thread.

I'm doing the 4 day split from the musclehack e-book. And I want to follow it pretty closely, but I have some exercises I like doing that I'm throwing in on Wednesdays, like pull-ups. I also do abs in the form of cardio, which he doesn't suggest. I'm going to do his ab suggestions also. Anyway, nothing big...just some "stuff" that makes me more comfortable with what I'm doing.

The 4 day split looks like this:
1- legs and back
2- chest and triceps
3- biceps and forearms
4- shoulders and abs

Are you doing the 5 day routine?
  #1251   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 16:16

BF:

Last week in review:
I started the new routine AND lowcarb. Had times of being VERY tired. Lost 4 pounds, but very little size. Not bad for the first week, and I know I won't be losing as well from now on.

Today I was stronger, or pushed myself harder, at any rate my work-out was better today than last Monday. The weights I'm using now are shamefully light, but...I'm still rather weak, so it works out.
Today:
weight: 139
waist: 27
low hips: 37

Week 2 in review
I increased in my lifts as I was suppose to, and felt very good about everything. I continued staying low carb. I'm not doing so well with my body weight and size now, but I'm going to stay the course and see how it goes.
11-24
weight 140.4
waist: 28
hips: 37
upper thigh: 21

I stopped fitdaying since I was going lowcarb, but I guess I'll have to go back to it with the weight/size increases. But not until after this week. I started eating some "new" things that could have caused me to retain more fluid. It's also about TOM time if it still applied...so I'm not sure if that would be an issue still. I'm not planning on a complete diet blow-out this week, but there will lots more calories and carbs consumed. I'll do as good as I'm happy with and deal with what happens next week.

I did legs Sunday, so I just have the easy things left and HOPE to get them in this week....but it's pretty crazy around here now, so it's not an absolute.

Last edited by galatia : Tue, Nov-25-08 at 07:55.
  #1252   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 14:08

BF:

The last of the company left today. I did legs and back and about died. I skipped calves because I felt too sick to continue. Goes without saying that I didn't do cardio either. However, on a not so negative note--I did go up on all my reps today as planned. I have to combine things the next two days to get everything in this week. No problem.

12-4: Much better today. Of course, it wasn't "leg day." I did chest, tris, and cardio. Good work-out.

I just want to take a moment to say once again how much I like Mark McManus. His thoughts on things are almost always mine too. For example, he thinks gloves and straps are good things. Me too. I really like the routine I'm following. And I like the progress I'm making. It's all good so far.

12-5: Combined biceps and shoulders. On track with increasing either weight or reps. but still not as good as doing it on the right days. Still...at least I hit everything which is better than not. Also did elliptical.

Last edited by galatia : Fri, Dec-05-08 at 15:31.
  #1253   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 15:58

BF:

I did legs and back today. I'll probably do cardio tomorrow, but...I don't have to do legs. Because I did them today. Yep....done with them for the WEEK. Oh happy day.

I am right on plan with my weight/rep increases. However, I'm still not being as good as I should be with my eating.
I guess that's all I got.

12-9: Today was chest, tris, and a little bit of cardio. I really had to dig down deep to make my reps, but I did it! But I was so exhausted by the time I was finished I didn't make it the full 20 mins. on cardiabs. Only 12. I declare it a good work-out.

12-10: Wednesday is my "things I like to do" day. Today I did pull-ups, straight-arm push-downs, push-ups and jagar squats. Then I did stretches and a few basic ballet things. That was pretty nice...haven't done any of that in a long time. Pretty impressed I remember it. Then I did elliptical. My eating was good up until the 8 ozs. of cream cheese and pecans. On a good note....I'm feeling really good these days.

12-11: Biceps and cardio today. Made the desired increases in reps. Feeling really good. It snowed today....a lot.

12-12: Shoulders and abs. Very intense...decided to stop doing standing rows because my carpel tunnel is flared up now and it makes it worse. And I do NOT want that.

Week in review: Good work-outs, not terrible eating...I had my moments, but all in all not too bad. Feeling good and trying to get myself on the right track for the cut, in almost 1 month. Took some pictures yesterday and they are quite motivational . Clearly it's time for a cut.

Last edited by galatia : Fri, Dec-12-08 at 15:02.
  #1254   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 16:52

BF:
Default Dec. 14-19

Starting this week at 139.8. 9.8 lbs from goal. This means nothing if I don't put forth more effort at consumption control. My mood seems to be very good most of the time....and pretty good the rest of the time. Yay.

I did legs and back today.
Squats, heel lifted good mornings, walking lunges, bent-over rows, calf presses.
And then for fun and forearm strength....I swung from the power rack.
I ripped my hand open on some staples today....one more reason I love my gloves...my cuts were protected.
Week is starting off very well.

12-16: Chest and tris. I went up in weight on bench press and flies. Made no progress on pullovers. Went up in reps. on close grip bench and decline ext. Also did 20 mins. elliptical. Low carb eating plan. Feeling good, no problems to report.

12-17: Fun day: pull-ups, str. arm. pd., push-ups, jagars, cardiabs, and stretching. I really should stretch more often and my progress would be better, but I was able to touch my forehead and nose to the floor in a straddle stretch. You're suppose to be laying out leading with your tummy and chest, stretching through your hips, which I do...but I got really close today so I just went ahead and put my face down to see how close I was. What else...? Weighed 140 this morning. I'm doing good with my eating for the second day in a row! I am tired, however.
Mood: very good.

12-18: Biceps and HIIT. Went up in weights or reps, that's good, did HIIT that's real good.

12-19: Shoulders and cardio. Made the desired increases.

The week went well. Nothing really noteworthy that I can recall right now.

Last edited by galatia : Fri, Dec-19-08 at 14:30.
  #1255   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 02:29

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I'm glad you're feeling good, Debbie. When you get down to it, that's the really important thing. What is it with cream cheese? I love the stuff.

I had never heard of jagar squats before. They look fun (what happened to my concept of fun?! ) and I think I will try them. Do they have to be unweighted, or is that just so you re doing them as fast as possible?

I have a question regarding isolation movements. Do you think they are necessary/effective for someone who still has quite a lot of fat to lose? I don't tend to gravitate towards plans that have me working my forearms or biceps, though I use compound movements regularly, so that does it for me. The musclehack plan looks really solid.
  #1256   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 06:45

BF:

Hi Alisa.

You got the jagar squats right~ not weighted for high rep/good form. I have only seen one post in all these years that even talked about them. I've never had anyone agree with the original poster that they are beneficial. I don't do them often, but once in a while I'll think about them and do a few sets. The lactic acid makes them feel useful.

My thoughts on isolation movements, as with all the things I do...if I feel like doing them that day, I do them. As long as I'm working my muscles I don't even think about whether it's compound or isolation...I just do what feels right for me that day. I am very much an intuitive trainer. Squats and lunges being the exception. I do those because I know I "have" to. I use to enjoy them, maybe I will again someday. I started hating them when I felt I had to do them like the "gurus" said, or I was wrong and they wouldn't work. I got over that. I'm not your best source for "good information" as I don't follow the rules very well myself.
  #1257   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-08, 16:32

BF:

12-21: Legs, and...not a good work-out. I veered from the plan. I'm such a sucker for any work-out that doesn't include squats and lunges.

12-23: Chest and triceps. Did good going up on all reps. Only missed one, last set on inc.bb bench press. Changed up one of the tricep exercises. I liked it. Then I did...drum roll....HIIT again. Yay me.

12-24: I did push-ups, pull-ups, str. arm push downs, and jagars. Some stretching. Then company came...so no cardio. I felt stronger on the pull-ups and did them AFTER push-ups. Good.

12-25: Biceps and cardiabs. Increased weights or reps on everything. My appetite is crazy today. I had already eaten enough for the DAY by 10:00 a.m. I didn't stop then, however. PLUS my weight was back up to 141 today....that BIG salad yesterday.

12-26: Shoulders and HIIT. Went well, increased some weights. Made the necessary increases in reps where I didn't increase weights. Did some face pulls because I'm mad at my rear delts. I want the fingers and they refuse to show! So I figured I'd just work them death for punishment if nothing else. All in all it felt good. And....I did HIIT again. I am so good.

Week in review: I'm pretty pleased with how I'm progressing. Shouldn't have slacked on leg day...lesson learned...I hope. Got in 2 HIITs and one really good cardiabs. So...good week.

Last edited by galatia : Fri, Dec-26-08 at 13:20.
  #1258   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-08, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Hiya Galatia!

Hope all is well on your end!

I read your workout schedule and am jealous! I am not gonna be able to do anything for a few days (see my journal) I feel like a caged animal! And until my shoulder is cleared for any soft tissue/rotator cuff damage, that means no lifting for a longer while! That stinks!

So hopefully in the Early new year I ca at least treadmill and stationary bike.....

Merry Christmas!
  #1259   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-08, 12:59

BF:

Hey Prof. It is a bad feeling NOT to be able to work-out. Hope it won't be long until you're back at, feeling great, and making all kinds of progress.
  #1260   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-08, 14:56

BF:

12-28: I sorta changed up things a little bit. I'm going to do legs by themselves and pair up back and biceps. No big deal. So I did legs today. Good work-out. I also did stretching afterwards...I'm getting a little more flexible. Now in a pike position, I can plant my face into my knees. And in a straddle I can lay my face on the floor, but my tummy isn't touching the floor yet, so I still have a ways to go there. I'll get there.
Eating is going well today. I printed off Mark's book today, finally.

12-29: Off day, so I just push-ups, cardiabs, and HISS on elliptical. AND...on those push-ups....I FINALLY did 50!!

Last edited by galatia : Mon, Dec-29-08 at 15:25.