Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 07:34
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Too much Vitamin A?

I take halibut liver oil caps, containing 10,000 IU Vitamin A/400 IU Vitamin D. I have a multi that also has 10,000 IU Vitamin A in it. Too much at once? I've read that it's only the synthetic A that can cause toxicity problems, but I've got a high dose of one of each here. Thoughts?

I may ditch the multi anyway, since it has iron in it and I don't need it...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 07:50

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default A can be toxic

But I don't know where the cut-off starts. The fat-soluble ones are tricky that way, and Geneen Roth has a horrible story about overdose in one of her more recent books. But she heard "dropperful" when the advisor said "drop," so I don't know what dose she was taking.

I'd drop the oil, myself. There could well be a lot you're getting from the multi that's not in your diet. When you're done with this bottle, buy one without iron. If you're menstruating, you're not likely to suffer from too much iron in the amount of time left on the bottle.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

If you like strong bones you should stop consuming that much vitamin A...

If you do continue to take that amount then you you should get tests done to check the amount in your blood

Last edited by Whoa182 : Tue, Aug-29-06 at 08:21.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 09:03
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't see a problem with it. You could take 40,000 IU/day natural source vitamin A with no problems.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 09:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

Check both. I would bet that the muilti has synthesized A, and from the amount in the fish oil, it might also have synthesized A. What you really want is a fish oil with the naturally occuring A and D still in it. Many companies remove them in the refining process and add artificial ones back in after the smell and such are removed. There are a number of them that are both refined to remove the smell and taste, and yet also have the naturally occurring A&D left in, and because it is a selling point, they will clearly state that it is naturally occuring A & D. If it doesn't say it, I would call it suspect.

According to the Weston A. Price website, no one that they are aware of has gotten Vitamin A poisoning from consuming natural sources of vitamin A, unless they are eating something like an entire polar bear liver, which has hundreds of thousands of IUs of vitamin A.

Last edited by Ogden : Tue, Aug-29-06 at 09:53. Reason: clearer explanation
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 13:24
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogden
...unless they are eating something like an entire polar bear liver, which has hundreds of thousands of IUs of vitamin A.
Try millions...polar bear liver has over 3 million IUs of vitamin A.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 14:12
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

High vitamin A raise bone fracture risk (in men)
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3304

Too much vitamin A may weaken bones (in women)
http://www.nutraingredients.com/new...oo-much-vitamin

There are other studies available if you look on pubmed.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 14:33

BF:
Default On studies

>>The results may explain the high incidence of hip fractures in Scandinavia

Countries with a notoriously LOW level of naturally-generated vitamin D, which is HUGELY important to bone strength.

Synthetic vs natural. Doesn't always matter, but sometimes it does. Other factors. I love the latest study sent to me from WebMD that said eating a "high fat" meal goes to your arteries immediately--but the meal was a "real" hamburger, fries, and a milk shake. Seems to me that's not the same high fat meal as eating a stick of butter.

Oh well.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 16:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Try this article for information on the link between vitamin A intake and bone problems. and vitamin D intake.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 18:29
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Try this article for information on the link between vitamin A intake and bone problems. and vitamin D intake.
That's an excellent article Mike!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 09:11
Dazilous

BF:

Alrighty - my halibut liver oil says it may contain Vitamin A palmitate or cholecalciferol. I am assuming that means there may be synthetic A in the stuff? The A in my multi is palmitate.

Vitamin info is very confusing to me. My bone health is extremely important, as osteo runs in my family (due to what I suspect is gluten sensitivity/celiac). I am asking for a bone density test on the 5th, since if I do have a gluten problem I likely have reduced bone density as well. I am not eating dairy at the moment either, so am concerned about calcium/magnesium too.

I will read that article - thanks! Just find my eyes glaze over.

Zul, you're the vitamin gal around here - what are good amounts of Calcium, magnesium, D, zinc etc for super-super bone health?

Also - am wondering then if I should ditch this halibut stuff and go with cod liver oil? Better A to D ratio, perhaps? And no worries about toxicity?

What about a multi? Worth the bother? I am overwhelmed by vitamin info lately.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 09:44

BF:
Default Study up, or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
I am overwhelmed by vitamin info lately.

1. You're just over 30, so bone density isn't likely to be a problem for another 15 years. Menopause is when the big changes kick in, unless you drink a lot or smoke. And if you're doing those and worrying about vitamins, you might as well quit wearing a seat belt too...

2. Dr. A's Vitanutrient Solution is the easiest vitamin primer I've found, esp. because it's aimed at a LC WOE. Well worth a read so that you can learn what works for your particular situation. It's easy to go nuts trying to adjust one supplement at a time based on one person's latest polemical study; reading that book helped me to understand my various risks and which ones I was going to do something about. I'll spend just over $1000 this year on supplements.

3. One of the hugest components of bone strength is weight-bearing exercise. Bones are as much use-it-or-lose-it as muscles, only you don't see the change as obviously. One more factor that wasn't reported in many of those vitamin A studies.

Or you could decide simply not to worry. It's harder to be in the middle.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 09:53
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Alrighty - my halibut liver oil says it may contain Vitamin A palmitate or cholecalciferol. I am assuming that means there may be synthetic A in the stuff? The A in my multi is palmitate.

Vitamin info is very confusing to me. My bone health is extremely important, as osteo runs in my family (due to what I suspect is gluten sensitivity/celiac). I am asking for a bone density test on the 5th, since if I do have a gluten problem I likely have reduced bone density as well. I am not eating dairy at the moment either, so am concerned about calcium/magnesium too.

I will read that article - thanks! Just find my eyes glaze over.

Zul, you're the vitamin gal around here - what are good amounts of Calcium, magnesium, D, zinc etc for super-super bone health?

Also - am wondering then if I should ditch this halibut stuff and go with cod liver oil? Better A to D ratio, perhaps? And no worries about toxicity?

What about a multi? Worth the bother? I am overwhelmed by vitamin info lately.
cholecalciferol is vitamin D3, the good stuff. Vitamin A palmitate is man made vitamin A, the bad stuff. The bottle says it may contain palmitate because some companies add man made vitamin A to bring the oil to a standard; conversely, some companies sell off the natural vitamin A and replace that with man made vitamin A, it's more profitable to them.

I would dump the halibut oil and use cod liver oil or an A supplement that says it's from fish liver. Keep the multi, the smaller amount of palmitate won't hurt you and a good two pill dose multi with minerals will give you a good base.

You live in Toronto so you're probably vitamin D deficient anyway. So definitely vit D and cal/mag are called for. Additionally, there've been studies that adolescents, especially girls aren't building the bone levels needed for maturity so you're right to be concerned for your bone health.

For good bones daily:
Vit D 4,000-14,000 IU - This is very much an individual thing and depends on a lot of factors. If you have any dry skin patches start with 4,000 IU and continue increasing every 4-7 days until your skin heals and then stay at that level for 3 months. Fall/winter onset also brings a need for an increase.
Vitamin A from fish livers 20,000-40,000 IU
Calcium 1,800 mg
Magnesium 900 mg
Zinc 50 mg

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Wed, Aug-30-06 at 10:02.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 09:57
Dazilous

BF:

Read the article - it was a good one, thanks.

Carver, I smoked for 17 years! Just quit in January. I've reached peak bone mass, and want to keep what I have. Also, if I am sensitive to gluten (as I suspect) then I could very easily have decreased bone mass now as a result of eating a lot lot lot of wheat etc throughout my life. And true, there was no mention of weight-bearing exercise...something I also engage in, although not as regularly as I should lately!

I've heard others mention the DR A. book as being worth a look - thanks for that.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, even little kids get osteoperosis from gluten sensitivity.