Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/162/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Has anyone tried to blend Atkins with the G.I. Diet to break a stall?

Hi there,

I've been on Atkins since last May ... so about 11 months. I lost 14 pounds during Induction ... and over the last 6 months I was steadily losing about 1/2 pound a week.

That didn't bother me ... I'm not on Atkins solely to lose weight. I'm on Atkins because being "low carb" has reduced my migraines by 75% ... from 6 migraines every 7 to 10 days to 6 migraines every 4 to 6 weeks. That's reason enough to continue doing this.

However, I have reached a plateau and I still have a few pounds to lose ... although I'm not in a particular hurry to do so ... but I also don't want to see a stall ... or a gain ... both of which I've seen in the last month! Yikes!

A doctor who also follows Atkins said that the body gets "comfortable" with any "regular" routine ... and that I need to "stir things up" a bit. He suggested I return to lifting weights [nothing dramatic here ... just 5 to 10 lb weights/exercises] and that afterwards I should have a low to medium g.i. food ... like blueberries, strawberries etc.

I purchased the G.I. Diet book ... and was horrified because it seems to contradict Dr. Atkins. I'm very hesitant to incorporate anything but the information about some of the "green light" foods etc.

Anyone else tried something of this sort to break a stall?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 15:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The atkins aproved food list, and the things he suggests adding back in (such as berries) are already low glycemic index. Instead of switching plans or combining two, why nto start moving through OWL and add some more low GI veggies and some low GI fruits such as berries. If you are lifting weights fruit may not be the best carb anyway since it is fructose. Check out the body for life forum on here for a lot of great posts about how to add in carbs for after workouts while keeping your overall plan low carb.