Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 23:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Replacement for birthday cake???

My bday is tomorrow and I REALLY REALLY don't want to succumb to eating birthday cake. I LOVE birthday cake...it's one of the things I miss most on this woe. I did resist the temptation to BUY a bday cake today...but my kids talked me into buying a package of six cupcakes...at least that way I can only have one! But I don't want to do that!!! I have tried to think of something special enough to replace bday cake and not feel deprived...but haven't had any luck. I would like to find something that can take the place of cake for special occassions for the rest of my life. What do you all do?

P.S. I have tried several lc cheesecake recipes and have not been too impressed. None of them have really tasted like cheesecake. If I could find a recipe that tastes like cheesecake and not have to buy the ingredients online that would be an acceptable solution. I love cheesecake...just haven't been impressed with the lc versions I've tried.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 23:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you tried Karen's New York Style Cheesecake With Brazil Nut Crust?

It truly tastes wonderful. If you don't have Canadian Sugar Twin, just use all Splenda - but you'll need twice as much. That is, you'll need a total of 20 tablespoons. Using the two sweeteners means you only need half as much sweetener. Mind you, the first time I made it, I just used 10 tbsp of Splenda and it was fine.

There's a thread here where Karen answers lots of questions about it.

Have a good look through our Sweet Treats section, too, for other cakey ideas.

HTH Happy birthday!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 00:21

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Don't forget to include some low-carb ice cream!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 06:11

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

We found that Atkins brownies make an acceptable b-day cake substitute. Try frosting them and dont forget to sing!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 06:40

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I'm a bit late but if you want a real cake that's lc and sf you must check this one out. I made it and it's delicious. You can add some cream cheese frosting if you want the whole birthday cake "look".

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake01.html
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 08:58

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I made the recipe above as a layer cake with cream cheese frosting. I believe I used a bit more lemon extract to give it a real lemony flavor. I put strawberries in the center as a fruit filling and some around the top as a garnish -- it was GOOD! Somewhere in my journal I posted the altered recipe. I don't know the page but My b-day was on 8/2 and I believe I made it the day before. If you go back in my journal you can find it by the date. I've also made this a few more times for diabetic relatives for their b-days and they were quite impressed. HAPPY B-DAY!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 12:55

BF:

GreyTScot and Sunspine...

Did you make this cake using almonds you ground yourself or did you buy almond flour? I wanted to buy it, but my health food store is out. The only option I have is to grind them myself. I wondered if that would change the consistency of the cake...but if you both used almond meal rather than fine flour and liked it I probably will too.

This recipe sounds fabulous and I am going to make it for sure today. DH is working late, so I'll have plenty of time to get it made before we actually do the celebrating. Thank you so much for the info!!!

I appreciate the other responses also...I'm going to check out the cheesecake recipe. I do like the Atkins brownies...but they're just not bday cake material...it's a good idea, though, in a pinch. Thanks to every one!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:10

BF:

I used preground almond meal for this cake but I have also ground my own for pie crusts. I would think it would work out fine if you ground your own. Have a great b-day!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 05:52

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I ground my own almond almonds in a food processor. They came in a bag as Naturally Sliced. What they mean by "naturally" I don't know. But I was concerned the homemade flour wouldn't be as good as the prepackaged flour. I checked the consistency and they were pretty much identical. The only difference was that my flour had brown flecks in it (from the outside of the almonds). The prepackaged (and very expensive) almond flour was just all yellow.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:10

BF:

Well...I made the cake yesterday. Instead of lemon flavoring I used cherry. It was good. Reminded me of carrot cake, but with a hint of cherry. I really liked the cake part, but would like to find a different frosting recipe. But, overall the cake was a great replacement for a traditional sugar-filled birthday cake. It did the trick nicely. Unfortunately, only one of my children ate it and liked it. Dh didn't even try it. Oh, well...I'm going to try freezing some of it. I appreciate the recommendation greatly.

My next experiment will be with the recommended cheese cake....when the bday cake is all gone.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:57

BF:

I'm glad things turned out well. The almond flour pound cake is also great as a loaf with a cup or so of frozen blueberries added in the dough. Cooked in muffin tins I bet they would be perfect!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 22:47

BF:

sunspine....thank you so much for the recipe! I had another piece today and I have to say it was even better than yesterday! I'm not sure if it was because it had time to set, or if it had something to do with it being refrigerated, but it was positively devine today - even the frosting.

I had already considered trying it as a loaf cake and having it without the frosting...the blueberries are a great idea! Thanks again so much.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:52

BF:

I'm glad you liked it. Strange how even deserts can taste better the next day! I made this recipe below not too long ago and I'd thought I'd pass it along to you. I based it off of the pumpkin cheesecake recipe that was floating around the boards over the holidays. It turned out really good!

Sunspine's Blueberry Cheesecake
Serves 12

Cheese cake:
2 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup Splenda (or 12 packets)
1 TB plus 1 tsp. Lemon extract
1.5- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries

Crust:
1.5 cups almond flour (or any nut-- pecan, walnut, etc. or a combo)
1/2 stick butter melted
4 TB Splenda granular
(can add 4 TB unsweetened cocoa for chocolate crust)

Crust-Mix dry ingredients and then mix together with the melted butter until it forms a paste. Spread into pie tin.

Cake -- Mix all ingredients with electric mixer until fully blended. Mix in the blueberries last on low setting or by hand so they don't all break.

To Assemble: Pour mixture into crust.

Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes. Important part: Set for AT LEAST 3 hours in the refrigerator.

**I haven't put this one into Fitday yet but based on other fruit cheesecakes I've made, it will likely be about 6 carbs per slice