Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 05:10

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How high-fat, low-carb diet may be key to beating the flu

How high-fat, low-carb diet may be key to beating the flu

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...u-38697517.html

Quote:
A ketogenic diet may help in the fight against flu, new research suggests.

Scientists found that mice fed the high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet, were better able to combat the virus than those fed food high in carbohydrates.

The Yale University study suggests the ketogenic diet, which includes meat, fish, poultry, and non-starchy vegetables for people, activates a subset of T cells in the lungs not previously associated with the immune system's response to influenza.

Researchers found that the cells enhanced mucus production from airway cells that can effectively trap the virus.

Co-senior author Akiko Iwasaki, the Waldemar Von Zedtwitz professor of immunobiology and molecular, cellular and developmental biology, said: "This was a totally unexpected finding."

Mice that had been fed a ketogenic diet for seven days before infection were protected from body weight loss and had improved survival relative to mice on a normal chow diet.

In addition, they were able to better maintain blood oxygen saturation, suggesting improved gas exchange as compared with chow-fed mice, according to the paper published in 'Science Immunology'.

The animals were randomised to indicated diet groups for one week before infection, and were subsequently monitored for clinical signs of disease and euthanised to assess the immune response.

Co-senior author Visha Deep Dixit, the Waldemar Von Zedtwitz professor of comparative medicine and of immunobiology, said: "This study shows that the way the body burns fat to produce ketone bodies from the food we eat can fuel the immune system to fight flu infection."

Dr Jenna Macciochi, lecturer in immunology, University of Sussex, said: "Though this study further adds to the growing scientific literature that dietary manipulation of the three macronutrients - protein/carbs/fats - represents a novel avenue to treat inflammatory conditions, it's too early to speculate on what this may look like for humans.

"Since 2016 it has been known that there may be a thread of scientific truth to the old adage 'feed a cold, starve a fever', and this study adds support, opening up the possibility of keto diets for treatment not only of flu but other conditions where inflammation can cause us collateral damage".

Eating a keto diet may give some protection against the flu

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/articl.../#ixzz65RDiOMj4
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 06:30
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Since I started eating to ketosis in 1972, my excellent health at my age is likely attributable to my WOE. I've never had a flu shot, but haven't had a cold or flu for decades. I have allergies, but that's all, and I don't even take OTC meds for them. I try to stay away from pharmaceutical health "patches."

Haven't I read that all disease is caused by inflammation? {edit}The ailments not caused by bacteria and viruses, that is.

It works for me, and it worked for these mice. LOL Of course, they were euthanized.

Last edited by bluesinger : Sat, Nov-16-19 at 11:21.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 07:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Considering what the SAD does to our immune system, I'm not surprised at all. Large doses of vitamin D were used in Germany when they ran out of flu vaccine. Turned out, it worked
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 08:14

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I just read that article last night.

I caught a mild cold this year. One day of a runny nose, one day of a little cough, and that was it. No other symptoms. My immune system mucus did it's job and didn't let it get any further.

The last time I got sick at all must have been 15 or more years ago, another mild cold.

I think keto diet might possibly be the reason.

BTW at 73 I'm a rarity -- zero prescription meds, no OTC meds, and I don't get flu shots. I do take vitamins to supplement what I don't get by following a keto diet.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 08:38

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Another way of summarizing that study would be to say that excess carb in the diet prevents the immune system from properly working.

I have been told quite a few times by friends that I never get sick like they do.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 09:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Another way of summarizing that study would be to say that excess carb in the diet prevents the immune system from properly working.

The lack of hunter/gatherer chronic disease incidence, ably documented in the work of Gary Taubes, has another angle I just thought of.

What if epidemic disease weren't only from overcrowding and exposure? Sure, in the absence of antibodies indigenous people proved as vulnerable to horrors like smallpox, but no one really knows how much an agriculture-based population might be even more vulnerable in the same situation.

Black Death comes to mind...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-19, 16:06

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Since going LC more than 5 years ago, I too never seem to get sick anymore. A couple of time, after traveling by plane where one is exposed to literally EVERYTHING under the sun, I've felt a cold coming on... and I used to get colds often enough to know the symptoms very well! In every instance, within 36 hours I was totally WELL again. Pre-LC, whenever I'd come down with a cold, it would tend to hang on for weeks at a time. Yeah, I too attribute my improved health to my change in diet.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-19, 08:40

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Since going LC more than 5 years ago, I too never seem to get sick anymore. A couple of time, after traveling by plane where one is exposed to literally EVERYTHING under the sun, I've felt a cold coming on... and I used to get colds often enough to know the symptoms very well! In every instance, within 36 hours I was totally WELL again. Pre-LC, whenever I'd come down with a cold, it would tend to hang on for weeks at a time. Yeah, I too attribute my improved health to my change in diet.

That's exactly how I think I caught my slight cold this year. I was traveling back from Austria on a crowded plane. It lasted 24 hours.

I guess that's an extra bonus to being low-carb or keto

Bob