Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/251/195
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs down scales suck.

fact: most scales suck.

Play with your scale for a few minutes you will see how much it sucks. #1 without your shoes on weigh yourself, then step off. weigh yourself again and step off. repeat this 5 times. if it reads exactly the same it passed the first test. #2 put a heavy pair of shoes on and weigh yourself again. does the change in weight seem right? Did it change at all? #3 repeat number 2 with light shoes. #4 have someone else weigh themselves on the scale. (someone that weighs more or less than you) . once they step off, you get back on to weigh yourself again. wow, you either just gained a pound or lost a pound, or if you are really lucky the scale says you just lost 3 or 4 #5 hold a 10 pound weight in your hands and hold it against your chest. does your scale read 10 pounds heavier? At a recent trip to Walmart, I discovered that every single scale walmart carries failed these tests horribly. The more expensive, and digital ones did the worst.

I know everybody says, "you will be fine as long as you always use the same scale." This is not true. If it fails the tests above it is not consistent with itself, and gives you either false victories or false defeats.

My solution is that I weigh myself on a scale at my local supermarket. it is a big industrial type scale that probably costs a couple hundred dollars. I know it is a good scale to use because i way myself, then i shop. while I am shopping at least 10 other people weigh themselves. as i leave i weigh myself again, and it is always identical to the first reading. See if you can find one of these scales in your home town!!!!
p.s. if your scale fails the tests, do yourself a favor, and just throw it out!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 13:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: scales suck.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcavana
do yourself a favor, and just throw it out!!!!!!!!

I prefer this option.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 13:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Why do you think we preach "take measurements" or "use the pant-o-meter" ?

Being obessed with a flaky scale can mess with your sanity and stress you out.