Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 08:11

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Systemic Enzyme Therapy Can Help With Cfs

If anybody is worried about taking too many newfangled drugs (with possible nasty side-effects), then they may like to check this book out. This link should give you a few pages that mention CFS in connection with enzyme therapy.

I can personally testify that Wobenzym works as a general painkiller, having used it myself for about three months now.

Here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=eq...hl=en#PPA180,M1

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 08:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

very interesting. I've had digestive enzymes for years, but use and then don't use them. I wasn't sure they really helped with anything.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 05:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
very interesting. I've had digestive enzymes for years, but use and then don't use them. I wasn't sure they really helped with anything.

FYI, digestive enzymes are not quite the same thing as "systemic enzymes". Digestive enzymes - as the name implies - should help with digesting food, for example, if you produce too little of a particular enzyme (lipase for fat, amylase for starches, others for protein etc), then the digestive enzymes will help you deal with the food better. Apart from amylase (the one found in saliva, as well as elsewhere), most of these digestive enzymes in tablet form need to have a so-called enteric coating, so that they reach the right part of your digestive system without having been dissolved too early by stomach acid.

Systemic enzymes are meant to be taken at least 30 minutes before eating, and are used for many things, but above all inflammation in many parts of the body. The German product, "Wobenzym", (also on sale in the USA under this name) is used by sportspeople to reduce the effect of contact injuries, for example. It can be used to help with sinus inflammation, arthritis, MS, as an adjunct to cancer therapy - the list is endless. I use it prophylactically and have found that it helps my general well-being and is a good painkiller.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea of what this is all about!

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 07:36

Thanks for clarifying. I wonder if it would help with the inflammation I sometimes get from all my previous injuries and my arthritis. I'll have to check it out.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 07:50

Default OK. I checked out the Wobenzym...

the only added thing this has different from my enzymes I get from Thropps' is the antioxidant Rutin.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 10:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! I had to laugh, the company that makes Wobenzyme is called Mucos.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 14:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Thanks for clarifying. I wonder if it would help with the inflammation I sometimes get from all my previous injuries and my arthritis. I'll have to check it out.

Jonny Bowden, he of low-carb fame, in his book, "Natural Health Cures", devotes an entire section to Wobenzym and how it can be used for sport injuries and arthritis. It's not cheap, but there are other similar products. The best thing about it is that you won't get nasty side-effects like from other standard medications. I can personally attest to its being a painkiller - I noticed this once after I had drunk too much beer! - I didn't have a hangover! A while later, I made the same mistake, but had no Wobenzym in the house - I really noticed the difference. This time I was in agony.

(For the record, though, I am currently on Day 25 (or so) of my Beer-Free-Get-To-Goal-Fast Challenge. Still taking Wobenzym, but no hangovers! And, on approx. 70g of carbs a day since Day 1, I have lost 7lbs!!!)

Back to the Bowden book: See if you can get it from your local library - or buy it! It's a mine of useful information about food and supplements for numerous ailments and worth every penny, if you ask me.

Other things which have a great rep for inflammation are Turmericforce and Omega 3s. My Dad swears by flax oil; my mum (may she rest in peace) swore by Cod Liver Oil.

I swear by Wobenzym.

amanda

Last edited by amandawood : Wed, Feb-04-09 at 14:14. Reason: add this and that
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 14:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! I had to laugh, the company that makes Wobenzyme is called Mucos.

At least they're not called "Schleim", which is the everyday German for mucus.

One day I shall find out exactly what the German word "Schleimbeutel" (literally: 'slime bag') means. All I know is that it is located around your elbow, but I ain't never seen one hanging off mine!

German is just a gross language. No wonder their companies have gross names, too .

Today I ate some "Fleischkäse" (a sort of meat loaf made from sausage meat). It translates as 'flesh cheese'... I could give your more examples like this but you'd probably barf all over your keyboard...

amanda
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 14:26

interest amanda. The 70 grams a day of carbs goes along with the 'life without bread program.' Glad to see it's working for you.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 13:50

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
FYI, digestive enzymes are not quite the same thing as "systemic enzymes". Digestive enzymes - as the name implies - should help with digesting food, for example, if you produce too little of a particular enzyme (lipase for fat, amylase for starches, others for protein etc), then the digestive enzymes will help you deal with the food better. Apart from amylase (the one found in saliva, as well as elsewhere), most of these digestive enzymes in tablet form need to have a so-called enteric coating, so that they reach the right part of your digestive system without having been dissolved too early by stomach acid.

Systemic enzymes are meant to be taken at least 30 minutes before eating, and are used for many things, but above all inflammation in many parts of the body. The German product, "Wobenzym", (also on sale in the USA under this name) is used by sportspeople to reduce the effect of contact injuries, for example. It can be used to help with sinus inflammation, arthritis, MS, as an adjunct to cancer therapy - the list is endless. I use it prophylactically and have found that it helps my general well-being and is a good painkiller.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea of what this is all about!

amanda

I checked out the ingredients in Wobenzym and they are common ingredients in a lot of digestive enzymes. Here's a link to a good website with enzyme info.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/