Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 04:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%
Question

Good Morning all,

I do believe Spring has finally arrived!

Just wanted to ask if wheat germ would be any good for a slow down on bm's? (Maybe a couple of teaspoons on eggs?) I ask about wheat germ as this is what I have in my cupboard at the moment.

Wouldn't you know it, first time having problems with this and I'm not too sure what I can have to keep regular as I have always been regular all my life!

Wendy

Enjoy your day all

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 05:23

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibre

I take fibre everyday...as well as eating veggies and don't seem to have a problem. If you use a purchased fibre make sure it doesn't have any sugar in it.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 06:46

BF:

Sharon,

When you say "purchased fibre", do you mean in pill form?

I have been eating veggies too, so I am a bit puzzled by this.

Wendy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 08:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default wheat germ

hi Wendy,

Wheat germ can be incorporated into yer daily plan, just make sure to account for the carbs ... according to Netzer's food counts book, 2 Tbsp has 5 gm carbs, of which 3 gms is fiber. The count is the same for both raw and the toasted stuff. (by the way, it's a good idea to keep wheat germ in the fridge .. the natural oils can go rancid fairly quickly after the package is opened)

To keep the bowel happy .. .. a lot of lowcarbers use sugar-free Metamucil or plain psyllium husks, which you can buy fairly cheaply at any health food store. Psyllium has carbs, but it's nearly ALL fiber. Watch the carbs in the commercial products like Metamucil though .. they often add a lot of sugar... even their so-called "unflavoured"!! I think this may be the "purchased fiber" that Sharon is referring to.

Others, like me, use coarsely ground fresh flax seeds. (I'm severely allergic to psyllium). 3 Tbsp has 11 carbs, of which 6 gm is fiber. Flax is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, as long as you don't heat it above 180 degrees F. Store whole fresh flax seeds in the fridge. Use a coffee grinder or spice mill to grind them into meal (the seeds are too small and hard for a blender or food processor). Only grind up a few days' worth at a time, and store airtight in the fridge or freezer. You can buy flax meal pre-ground for convenience .. make sure the package is vacuum-sealed and light-proof (like foil), and again, store in the fridge or freezer once opened.

And drink yer water ..

Doreen
p.s.- you're right, I think Spring may be here, the ice is disappearing from the river finally. And here I have to be stuck indoors, waiting for the proverbial "important phone call" ... and I just know it won't come until late this afternoon .. Aaarrggh! (and no, it can't be handled by Call Answer .. )
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 09:28

BF:
Talking

Thanks for the info Doreen,

It just ocurred to me that I have been forgetting to take a tablespoon of my flax oil daily. Would this be pretty much the same as flax seed? Could this be why the problems yesterday and today?

Duh on me, not use to taking stuff, lucky I remember my suppliements daily!

Wendy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 10:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Wendy,

Flax oil is not quite the same as meal as it has no fiber. As Doreen pointed out, you can get psyllium husks cheaply in bulk at health food stores. The same stores also sell gel caps that you can pack the powder into. Alternatively, it can be mixed with water and chugged down rapidly before it turns into some alien protoplasmic mass in your glass. The second method is an "acquired" taste.

Although constipation does cause concern and discomfort, you can also try incorporating more salads into your meals and wait it out for a few days. Your digestive system is learning a new way of digesting just as you are learning a new WOE.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 10:43

BF:
Wink

Thanks Karen,

Got it.

Thanks to you too Doreen.

Wendy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 14:15

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for clarifying my response....Doreen...you're right...I use a purchased fibre.....I have it every morning shook up with a little water or crystal lite. What I use is LiFiber, from Enrich. It's a Herbal Fibre Preparation product. The main ingredient is psyllium husk. A friend recommended it to me a few years ago when I was having blood sugar problems and I've used it every since. There are many kinds available though and many ways to get fibre, I just do this to help increase it in my diet.