Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#451   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-11, 12:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 174/156/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Equinox,
Don't you hate when people aren't really MEAN.... they are just CLUELESS?? They both hurt equally as much!

Like, kids, for example. A little girl told me in front of a crowd of adults that I have a small head and a big body. No insult there, just an observation from that innocent little girl lol!!

Anyway, best of luck with LC to ya!
Sponsored Links
  #452   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-11, 03:23

Plan: Kind of primal
Stats: 204/174/140 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 47%

I had several things that gave my a much needed kick in the rear. One was realising I had put on all the weight I lost after having my youngest (who is now 4). And it had started affecting my health. I am getting terrible back ache in bed at night (which is now thankfully disappearing) and feeling tired and fed up.
The carrot to go with that stick is I am getting married next year and want to display my wedding photos proudly.
  #453   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-11, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It has taken me a year of pondering this, but here was mine:

My son told me that it was kind of embarrassing for him to go on rides with me on vacation: seeing me struggle to get into the coaster seats.

Mind you, I know it was painful for him to actually say this to me, I could see it in his 14 year old face; we both love riding these rides. He was 14 at the time and "noticing" all the prettiness around him

So, I have been dwelling on it for almost a year, but as we contemplate our summer vacation for THIS year...I really don't want to embarrass my family.

I saw pictures of myself on that vacation, and wo! Ya, it's time to complete my "weight loss story", with a happy ending this time!
  #454   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 00:47

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

Back later.
  #455   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 20:58
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

My husband read WWGF. He was serious about not pumping himself full of the wrong foods any more. Well, I backed him on it. Then I read the research, now I'm serious about it too!
There are always the little inconveniences, the uncomfortable moments, the doubt and fear we've all experienced. Oddly, none of those were my "Ah-Ha!" moment, my husband had his, so I went with it. I'm really, really, really glad I did.
  #456   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 06:32

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

For me, it was triglycerides at 360 and cholesterol at 250. I asked my doctor if I should cut out animal products and she emphatically said "No! Cut down on carbs. The South Beach Diet would be a good book to read". That was 3 months and 20lbs ago. Follow up test showed trigs 76, chol 205. How lucky was I to have a doctor like that?!
  #457   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 09:51

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

For me it was a combination of things:

1. Being out with my husband and kids at the park one day and hearing him remark that he thought he saw somebody he knew from work (whom I hadn't met yet), suddenly I experienced this strong fear of having to meet his coworker because I was 5 sizes overweight and didn't want the guy to go back to the office the next day and tell everybody about my husband's fat wife.

2. Realizing that I wasn't able to shop at "regular" stores anymore, and even XL wouldn't fit any longer.

3. A casual acquaintance who originally met me a few years ago when I was 3 sizes smaller, upon seeing me again for the first time in a few months (during which I had gained at least one full size): "Oh hi, I'm Glen...and you are?" He was absolutely sincere -- he really didn't recognize me! I was mortified but played along like I was meeting him for the first time to save us both some embarrassment.

4. Getting my husband to finally see his doctor and be tested for sleep apnea (years of horrible snoring, stopped breathing many times in one night) only to have him tell me one month later that my snoring has gotten just as bad and that he has recently heard me stop breathing in the middle of the night!

That last was a real kick in the pants.

Of course there were years of being asked by complete strangers when I was "due", of course that mostly happened when I wasn't pregnant!
  #458   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 18:07

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I know a lot of people here are in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and so on.. But when I was 17, I had people ask me when I was due.. Or said "Oh my gosh, Leeann! I didn't know you were expecting!"..How horrifying it was at THAT AGE to tell people that I wasn't pregnant, i was just severely addicted to pasta, pizza, pie, cake, and ice cream . Of course I didn't say that, but..
It hurts. I recently got back up in the 190s and i do carry a LOT of my weight in my belly (I have got some HOT legs and a great butt) so I can understand why people would think that, so I've started again. Tonight's dinner is chicken wings and mashed cauliflower. I can't wait!! Smells SO good Also started hitting the gym pretty hard. If only I could cut the alcohol out!! That's been the WORST part lol. I eat pretty well otherwise.

Anyway, I've noticed now more than ever, the skinny girls on TV or in my day to day life, and I want that. I want to be able to walk around and not worry about my tummy jiggling. Maybe most people say "I want to be NORMAL. I want to look PRETTY".. I know I'm pretty. I feel beautiful most days, and I carry myself as such, but every single day I feel just.. jiggly. Like a jello jiggler LOL. That's what I want to stop mostly. The jiggle. I've been overweight/obese most of my lifetime, though, so I know that something will always be jiggling, even though I'm only 22. My stomach skin is LOOSE. I know overweight people now that have that firm fat/skin/tummy. Mine is all jiggly and loose so I know I'm going to have some extra skin so I'm doing everything I can to fix that. I'm doing this a lot for my future, too. I want to be healthy when my husband and I decide it's time to make a family. And I want to be able to 'bounce back', so to speak, afterwards, instead of thinking "well crap i was already 30 pounds overweight, now I have to lose 80!"

So, here is to all of us.. Who have lost and gained only to do it many times over and over.. and who finally found this way of life and know it works and know how healthy it is for us (even if we might be on our 50th try).. We can DO IT.. and those events and insults were only wake up calls to make ourselves healthier!
  #459   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Last year, I was on the NY Times website, and there was an interview with one of the authors of the New Atkins for a New You. I was pretty anti-Atkins at that point, but I read the interview and thought that it sure made a lot of sense. So, I bought the book and decided to give it a go. I had gained 15 pounds in the prior year (new country, new treats) and was having frequent stomachaches. So, something needed to change. And it did!
  #460   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 19:50

Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

For me, it was a looming road trip this summer with my sister and niece to visit colleges. They are both 5'9", athletic, and thin. I was mortified at the thought of walking around college campuses with them and being the pleasantly plump auntie.
  #461   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 07:45

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

i got feed up feeling sick all the time, not being able to do anything, even walk up a flight of stairs and basically watch my life wash away
  #462   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-11, 12:35

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

My daughter posted a picture of ducks on FB.

Son said something about MOM on it. I was incensed and ready to rip him for just assuming that the heavy lady with the long hair was MOM... but I realized the heavy lady with the long hair WAS Mom!

The other kick in the teeth was realizing I was THIRTY POUNDS heavier than when I went INTO the hospital to deliver my firstborn. OUCH.
  #463   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-11, 12:15

Stats: 285/234.6/185 Male 6 Feet
BF:
Progress:

I was at Starbucks with my wife. Some teenagers walked in from outside, and one walked right up to me and jiggled my manboob. Then walked out with his buddy laughing. I was so stunned I couldn't even react. I'm not violent, but I would have grabbed him and put such a hurting on him.

Instead I just stood there... My wife, who was looking away, didn't even notice, and I've never had the heart to tell her, mostly because of my own shame.
  #464   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins/General
Stats: 220/202.7/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I had very similar problems to LStump. I've been overweight since about 12. Carrying my weight in my stomach. Being asked "when are you due?" and saying, "I've never had sex, I'm 16!" My grandma used to send newspaper clippings about losing weight. She thought she was helping, I was a crushed 10 year old. Being barked at (yes, as in woof woof)and called names at school. I just never felt "worth it". "Why try? It won't do any good" "It must be true, there's no point." That was my mantra.

Until I met my hubby. He loved me so much it showed me I am worth it. He's made me a stronger person through love and being a butt head. He helped me see that all those insults and comments weren't who I am. I am worth looking beautiful, and being healthy!
  #465   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 10:32
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB
My daughter posted a picture of ducks on FB.

Son said something about MOM on it. I was incensed and ready to rip him for just assuming that the heavy lady with the long hair was MOM... but I realized the heavy lady with the long hair WAS Mom!

Sorry, I LOL'd.

I know the feeling though. I avoid mirrors. I was dragged in Sears after I already got down to 217..and mirrors..mirrors everywhere. It's like..eww, I'm that gross?