Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-22, 06:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Cool, I'm ready and reading!
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-22, 09:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Have to check out the new manual. The great thing is that it evolves as more is learned in continuing DDF sessions. Can't participate in this upcoming DDF, as I'm going to be remote and fishing for a couple months. Will circle back when I've got some time and more consistent access to the website.
  #378   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-22, 10:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Have to check out the new manual. The great thing is that it evolves as more is learned in continuing DDF sessions. Can't participate in this upcoming DDF, as I'm going to be remote and fishing for a couple months. Will circle back when I've got some time and more consistent access to the website.

Rob, I hadn’t seen you commenting lately, so I thought you were fishing last month. Maybe now you have just permanently "Gone Fishing"? Enjoy retirement!
  #379   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-22, 10:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I have not yet been able to complete another DDF round since I did the first one. I'm not sure what my stumbling block is. Maybe just too focused on working.
  #380   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-22, 18:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I decided to join the challenge. A new supply of strips is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've decided not to pay attention to my weight and to only concentrate on my hunger in relationship to my bg. I'll only weigh myself at the beginning and end of the challenge.
  #381   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-22, 04:08

Welcome back, Jean!
Nancy, you can participate however much you have time for. I know now my best eating time is roughly noon to 6pm, so I only test when to have "lunch". My waking never changes and my Main Meal is fixed at dinner, so I don’t really "baseline" but restart where I left off. During some recent stress, I stopped taking BG completely, still did OK.
  #382   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-22, 11:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've started my second DDF challenge after a 1-wk break of maintaining with no weight gain. I'm re-baselining (it does show your past triggers in the graphs, so you could still use the last one as your target to eat) just to see if anything has changed. I found that my 2MAD LC diet had hunger-trained me quite well and my DDF BGs confirmed that meals at 10-11am and 5-6pm still work best for me. I have intentionally nudged my protein up from ~30% to 40% (100g), carbs up from 5% to 10%, and my fat consumption decreased to 50%. That sounds high to low-fatters, but I don't find percents are the best way to describe it since I am undereating calories and losing weight. If I were eating 2000 cals per day, my fat percent would be considered low at ~25%. The best way to think of it is that my body is getting ~25% fat from my food and ~25% from the fat on my body.

I was skeptical of Marty's claim that going up to 40% protein would be satiating, since in the past plain chicken breasts or plain non-fat greek yogurt made me hungrier, not satiated, but eating them WITH or immediately before/after some vegs does seem to work.

My first week on my first DDF I was trying 3MAD and found that non-fat greek yogurt by itself (or whey protein powder) as a meal made my BG spike above of the desired range and left me hungry 2 hrs later. Someone suggested that I eat it with fibre, the thought of which made me gag as I detest chunks in dairy. So I decided to go back to 2 bigger meals a day and have my yogurt (or protein powder pudding) as a "dessert" protein top-up to a meal of meat/fish/poultry & vegs. This is working well for my satiation & gut, but dairy causes me psoriasis, so I'll probably have to go back to dairy-free again. I've stayed grain & legume free on DDF as they cause worse problems than dairy.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Apr-10-22 at 12:11.
  #383   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-22, 13:22

I would be seriously bummed if I had to give up dairy now that I have introduced it back into my lower carb eating plan. Meat and veg followed by yogurt and whey works well for me too.
After reading more about gut health, are there non-dairy yogurts with the live probiotic strains to still benefit your gut? I see quite a few different nut milk yogurts in the store but do they still have yogurts benefits? Marty's dairy-free recipe book shows a meal with a scoop of low fat cottage cheese and lists some hard cheeses too? Is there something about the cheese making process that makes it tolerable to someone sensitive to dairy? The rest of the list is fish, liver, eggs, and berries. If you can keep whey, maybe try the frozen berries and nut milk/water "fluff"?

Deidra, maybe ask about dairy-free options on the DDF community. There are thousands of members and many have health issues and food sensitivities, we're all looking for nutritional answers.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-10-22 at 13:35.
  #384   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-22, 13:46

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I would be seriously bummed if I had to give up dairy now that I have introduced it back into my lower carb eating plan. Meat and veg followed by yogurt and whey works well for me too.
After reading more about gut health, are there non-dairy yogurts with the live probiotic strains to still benefit your gut? I see quite a few different nut milk yogurts in the store but do they still have yogurts benefits? Marty's dairy-free recipe book shows a meal with a scoop of low fat cottage cheese and lists some hard cheeses too? Is there something about the cheese making process that makes it tolerable to someone sensitive to dairy? The rest of the list is fish, liver, eggs, and berries. If you can keep whey, maybe try the frozen berries and nut milk/water "fluff"?

I am dairy free. I have lately been following Dr William Davis's Supergut program (he wrote a book about it) and I have been making coconut milk yogurt following his recipe. It's a bit of work but I am enjoying it. The book is quite interesting and worth a read, especially for anyone with gut issues. He advises homemade yogurt because store bought yogurts are not fermented long enough to create truly beneficial amounts of bacteria.

People sensitive to dairy may just be sensitive to the lactose but many, myself included, are sensitive to the casein which is the protein. While fermentation removes the lactose the casein remains. Most cow's milk in the US has A2 casein. By switching to A1 milk (either A1 cow's milk or goat's milk which is naturally A1) some people can tolerate dairy. I don't seem to be one of them, but I will probably try the yogurt again with goat's milk just to double check. I prefer yogurt made from milk to that made from coconut milk.
  #385   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-22, 13:58

Jean's always ten steps ahead! Our library ordered Dr Davis's new book, but only know about it from a few recent podcasts he has done. Both goat's milk and A1 milk are easy to find around here, and Trader Joe's has most every plant-based yogurt, but I can understand making your own from real milk and letting it ferment longer would be beneficial.
  #386   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-22, 08:28

Plan: DDF
Stats: 220/137/155 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 128%

After a week of DDFing, I am down 1.3 lbs (159 to 157.7). I got used to the lancet pokes faster than I could've imagined.

My waking BG is about 86. My trigger is 91. Hasn't been too hard. The highest BG I've seen was 121. My eating window is probably 8:30-4:30. I had already been eating early dinner since about summer 2020 because of GERD.

I'm also on week 4 of a 6-week Peloton bike and strength class.

Finding the challenge so interesting so far!
  #387   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-22, 12:35

BF:

Alright Beebsbert! I'm enjoying the process this time as well
  #388   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-22, 04:40

hi guys

I started a thread in the Research section about Dr Peter Attia's new thoughts on Nutrition, quoting Marty's excellent summary of the segment from The Drive.
This is the type of information that can be shared in the community without having to write an entire article for the website.
Also don’t forget the other free goodies in the community, while you are testing BG you can do 7 days of tracking to get some basic nutritional advice based on your current diet.

Quote:
Here's what you'll get for free when they join:

- Driven Fasting 101 Course
- The Healthiest Meal Plan In The World
- 7 Day Nutrient Clarity Challenge
- Nutribooster Food Lists (69 of them), and
- A super supportive community of Optimisers
  #389   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-22, 05:08

A new update and related article all about the PSMF diet for fat loss. Not only the higher protein percent but what micronutrients you should get from foods to increase satiety per calorie, e.g. importance of potassium from vegetables.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/the...ur-summer-body/

20 months ago I simply aimed for 1g protein per pound ideal body weight, but this has a more precise calculator 😉to achieve your Summer Body!

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-19-22 at 06:39.
  #390   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-22, 06:10

BF:

Cool! I'll check it out. My Q2 "Plan" has me shooting for a protein target aimed at trying to find satisfaction with eating yet hitting a lower calorie target than I normally would - not that I count calories they are a by product of using cronometer.