Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 22:16

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%
Default Original CAD

Does anybody have or remember the Rachel story in the beginning of the CAD book? If I remember correctly, it was about her fasting for a blood test and found she had lost weight the next day. She wondered if she could continue to lose eating this way. The original Intermittent Fasting experiment, long before it became so popular.
If someone could post the story I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks
Mojo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 13:24
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-
that is the story, but in later books they started leaving that out!
E
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 16:04

I know! I can't seem to find my original book. Was there anything else to the story? She lost 150 pounds right?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 16:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
There is a lot of good stuff (IMHO) on fasting and IF on the "Livin' la vida low carb" podcast. He is very into fasting and IF, and has terrific guests and (my personal favorite) audio recordings of medical and LC/HF conferences and cruises and such. The DIET DOCTOR site also had a lot.

so-
1993 CAD -
"Rachael's Discovery" (page 6)- she had a test that was rescheduled, so she ended up fasting until after 4 pm. She weighed 268. She writes that after the test she ate soup, salad, veal parm, pasta coffee and 2 crullers. The next day she had lost 2 pounds- and decided to do the same IF schedule the next day. Rachel ate only dinner, and lost 150 pounds.

This story was not repeated in the CALP book (1997), CAHHP (1999) or Healthy for Life (1996). In the 1996 book she says "When I discovered that, by saving these food (carbs- my note) for one of my three daily meals, I could enjoy all of the carbohydrates I loved and needed without suffering the hunger and weight gain....".
In these books, the Hellers explored the concept of insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. In a later book - one that I don't have - Later, Rachael admitted that she had started to regain weight and went back to IF to maintain and even lose more. I think it was called THE STRESS EATING CURE and came out in 2010.

I choose the CALP plan for me because I believed I had insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. I also didn't want to weigh/measure my food or count carbs or calories. I liked the idea that I could eat a pretty "normal" dinner as long as I had salad then a balance of carbs/protein and vegies. I am not sure exactly what Rachael Heller did or didn't do to lose weight, but I also think the science behind their plan was solid and still makes sense to me.

I hope this helps.
E

Last edited by Enomarb : Sun, Nov-05-17 at 16:40.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 17:51

Me too! Thanks E

My plan is similar to the one meal a day plan that Rachel talked about in the original book. The only difference is the timing of the meal. I only eat one meal at midday and I eat alot, enough to sustain me for the day, but I still have my morning coffee. Its all about the insulin. I know that now. What clicked for me was the info from Dr. Fung, IDM website about the intermittent fasting and the TIMING of meals. We are in a fasted or a fed state. When fed the body doesn't use its own fuel (body fat) for energy, and while fasting it does. The same story as Rachel Heller.
Thanks again for the info.
So I guess I could be called a CAD girl huh?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-17, 12:37

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 192.5/153.5/165.0 Male 5 ft 8 inches
BF:25%/13%/15%
Progress: 142%
Default Stress Eating Cure

In The Stress Eating Cure, Rachael Heller tells the story of the return of her cravings not her weight. (She did not regain weight, and if she ever had, I am sure that we wouldn't know about it, what must have been the strictest secret.) She told her husband about her fear of her cravings because they were as strong as ever and she feared going into a binge that would return her to her old horror. She feared the repercussions of regaining weight after all the books they had written together. It would be the end of everything...their life's work a failure.

Richard realized the implications, and cancelled everything, including an Oprah appearance*, until they could find an answer for this. Was the hyper-insulinemia hypothesis wrong after all? "What in God's name was happening to my wife?"

Rachel went back to her former college for a visit and saw there an old caretaker* who had been so kind to her when she worked at the coffee shop*. He said, "Look at you...and you kept it off all these years!" Then he went on to say what a porker she was then and said so many hurtful things. She was devastated. "If this is what this "kind" man really thought during that time, then why am I trying to please ANYBODY?

Immediately all the cravings were gone! When she told Richard about this, they then began to explore the cortisol connection and developed the stress eating strategy that led to the new book.

Is the hyper-insulinemia theory incorrect? No, but it is incomplete for some people. The hormonal weight/appetite control systems of the human body are complex, confusing, interdependent, and imperfectly understood.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-09-18, 21:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I love Rachels story--she gives me hope---Ive never forgotten reading her full story at the beginning of my book.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 08:38

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I love Rachels story--she gives me hope---Ive never forgotten reading her full story at the beginning of my book.

Ditto!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 10:41

Me too!

Don't know where my copy of that book is....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 11:39

BF:

I dont know where my copy is either. But the story was long....like the preface to the main section.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 07:30

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

If anyone is interested in finding the book, go to a Goodwill store, or something similar. I always see CAD/CALP books there. I don't know if there are any used copies for sale online.

I have accumulated them all. Original CAD, CALP, Heart Plan, and some other I can't remember. I should have a big diet book sale. I once donated all my diet books to the library, then ended up going out and buying them all over again. I am a diet book junkie.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 19:31

BF:

I did buy my copies at the Annie used book shop. The local one closed years ago.

I have a number of diet books---I read them all to compare them and find useful tidbits in each one.

PP -- gave me a limit to protein portion. be generous, but not to excess.

CAD---a higher carb meal could still result in weight loss; Im returning to it as a means of adding seratonin boosting foods.

Glycemic index one- -- choose low GI foods to keep blood sugars steady. Many good fruits are low; many are surprizingly high like the very juicy watermelon.

Often the explanation for a concept left me perplexed but another author helps sort out the concept.

So, I have kept all mine. Just not in one place apparently. lol
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 20:34

I have a lot of them also, but for some reason, I can't find my original CAD book.
I still have PP = that was my beginning to low-carb eating
Dr. Atkins New Diet revolution- a lot of great info
The Hellers= CA lifespan program (not the original)
The new Atkins for a new you
Dr Atkins vita-nutrient solution
The sugar addicts total recovery program- how I realized I needed a carb for sleeping (suffered with insomnia)

I also lent out alot of my books- I also check out my library book store and can pick up bargains at $1 or $1.50 each